It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board

Illegal firing of employee?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-20-2015, 02:07 AM   #1
Kuvan
(female)

Kuvan HB User
Illegal firing of employee?

Hi everyone. This is my first post, and I'm hoping to learn a little something here. My best friend happens to have been diagnosed Bipolar with Psychotic features several years ago. This friend is a brilliant engineer who ultimately ends up losing his jobs after his periods of mania, for which he is typically hospitalized.

I can't say with certainty if there is any kind of interaction with his supervisor or fellow employees when these manic episodes start, but we do get him hospitalized as quickly as possible. He does often refuse to take his medication once he is feeling well again, as many people do. This unfortunately causes new cycles and new job losses.

Having said all of that, I guess I'm just looking for advice concerning termination of employees with mental illness. For instance, is this something he must disclose ahead of time? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Best wishes to everyone! -Kate

Last edited by Administrator; 05-20-2015 at 08:32 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2015, 08:32 AM   #2
rosier
Veteran
(female)

rosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB User
Re: Illegal firing of employee?

Well, the problem is, it has interfered with him being able to work. It would be a good idea for him to look for some other kind of work. Major corporations are not tollerant of health issues and being bipolar is very difficult to deal with in the work place. So if he has been off work for sometime for his illness, there may not be much he can do about it. Many have gone to court to enforce ADA regulations, and it does not cover everything for the Disabled, like your friend's bipolar condition. Perhaps you need to talk to a lawyer who may specialize in ADA cases. Good luck finding an answer. Hugs for today.

Rosier
Never give up.

Reply Reply