It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board

Growing up....and older.....with Cerebral Palsy

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-28-2015, 02:15 PM   #1
granof6
(female)

granof6 HB User
Growing up....and older.....with Cerebral Palsy

Hello All,

I'll be 64 yrs. old in a couple of months and lately for whatever reason
I've been thinking a lot about my younger days ....yep, back in that dinosaur era when I was flirting with and dating the boys. Tbh I never actually knew anybody of my peer group who was also disabled like me so all the young men of my acquaintance were able-bodied (AB). My cerebral palsy was so mild ---- it only slightly impaired my walking gait so most times I suppose it was either unnoticeable-----or perhaps just maybe it didn't really matter to that guy that I had a mild physical disability???? Who knows?

Anyway I remember this one guy I was having a first date with and we had decided to meet up after work and stop in the grocery store....so we are walking up and down the aisles when he says to me, "Why are you limping like that?? Did you hurt your foot??" And so I panicked and immediately said something like "Oh I'm ok, I was standing with bare feet in the kitchen this morning, looking in the cupboard for a box of cereal and I accidently knocked over a can of soup which fell out and hit my bare foot."

Tbh, I really don't know why I said that. The date wasn't all that memorable either. I think we went to see a movie but I have no memory of which film it was, and it was the first/last date.

I still have absolutely no idea WHY I'm thinking of this particular incident after all these years
but maybe at least now I see that I do accept my disabilities now and don't feel the need to either apologize for or to hide the fact that I am disabled. With age comes wisdom, apparently.

Last edited by granof6; 07-29-2015 at 02:08 PM. Reason: added a few words

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply