It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board

Does anyone use home care?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-16-2016, 11:10 AM   #1
johnbadlegs
(male)

johnbadlegs HB User
Does anyone use home care?

Does anyone here use home care, particularly pesonal care such as bathing, dressing, etc? What are the costa and minimum times? Agency or individual? Costs and minimum times? Your experience in general?

John

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2016, 08:57 PM   #2
Pandasmommy13
(female)

Pandasmommy13 HB User
Re: Does anyone use home care?

Hi. Yes I have used home health care for personal care for a few years. If you have insurance, your doctor can order services. It shouldn't cost much or depending on your insurance, you might not need to pay anything. It is sometimes hard to find someone you like and can work with easily. If you dont like the first person you get, don't give up. Tell the company you would like to try someone different. Sometimes its just a matter of personality. Remember, you are the client and its up to you what they do and how many days they come. I can't tell you how much they normally charge because my insurance pays for mine. Best Wishes!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-16-2016, 03:44 AM   #3
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Does anyone use home care?

Hi There. I hire home care for my father who has Parkinson's Disease.
Costs vary depending on where you live and also competition. In some areas you may pay 12$ an hour, while where I live the going rate is more like 22$ an area. It also depends on whether you hire an agency or a private home health aide. I highly suggest going with an agency because they are certified HHA (home health aides) and the business has them licensed and bonded.
It can also vary by experience and credentials. If you hire a HHA who is also a CNA (certified nurse assistant) you may pay alittle more than someone who just took a course and if they are also a nurse, RN or LPN, it will cost you even more.
Having worked with 7 different agencies, I can tell you that there are good ones and bad ones. My stepfather's disease has progressed quite a bit over the past 5 years. Where we once needed 2 or 3 times a week for a few hours, we esclated it to 8 hours a day, 5 days a week and are now searching for a live in.
Some agencies are terrible, others are good; but really it is the "girl" you get which can make or break the experience. Unfortunately again where I live, they seem to move around from agency to agency allot. So everytime we got one we loved, eventually she left for another agency.
Home health aides are critical to avoiding care giver burnout; however, they can also be really hard to keep good ones!

Good luck!

Reply Reply