It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board

'Emergency' transportation

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-11-2016, 09:21 AM   #1
JimAustin
(male)

JimAustin HB User
'Emergency' transportation

My mother-in-law had a severe stroke about 18 months ago. It was bad and her life (and her husband's) took a severe turn for the worse, but she's back home and they're hanging in with 6 hours of home care a day. She is wheelchair-bound. Apart from the paralysis she has a lot of spasticity, which makes it hard to get her in and out of a normal car. She is 77 and he is 80--he, fortunately, is still pretty capable but it's hard on him.

She loves to get out, and they have a modified Honda SUV with a rotating/extending seat to facilitate transfers. It isn't easy for my father-in-law, but he gets it done. It's important, because their trips into town or out into the countryside are very important to her. If she didn't have that to look forward to, her life would be much worse.

This morning they went shopping, and when they came out from the store, the SUV wouldn't start. It was cold and they were stuck. It left them in a precarious position, not knowing what to do. My father-in-law did what he should have done: He called 911. He ended up just needing a jump. The battery was old; once it's replaced everything should be OK.

Assuming their response is fast enough, and that the truck only needs a jump, that should solve the problem. But what if it doesn't? What if the car isn't drivable? I'm not sure they could get her in and out of a regular car seat, even with strong, well-trained people. Not counting an ambulance, is there a service people can call when they need emergency wheelchair-van transportation? I know this will vary from place to place; I'm just wondering if such services exist.

Thanks,
Jim

Last edited by Administrator; 07-15-2017 at 02:54 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2016, 11:11 PM   #2
Kitt777
(female)

Kitt777 HB User
Re: 'Emergency' transportation

Yes, there are transportation vans that can be hired for trips to the doctor, hospital or whatever. They provide a ramp into the vehicle and the wheelchair is locked into place inside (with regular seat belts for the passenger). The driver will get her into and out of the van. The cost is around $100 for a round trip. You usually have different drivers for each leg of the trip. It would be too expensive to use just for driving around and shopping, but it's a useful option if she needs to get to a doctor's appointment and has no other way to get there.

Closed Thread