It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board

• Just Approved for LTD now I have a job offer

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-23-2017, 03:53 PM   #1
    CrohnsBBad
    (male)

CrohnsBBad HB User
    Just Approved for LTD now I have a job offer

Hi all - I recently became approved for LTD. I am still technically on Short-Term Disability, but it switches over any day. I had to stop working due to multiple crohns surgeries with ongoing fistula drainage. At my job, I made 80K/ year. My short term disability has been picking up 100%, but now that LTD is kicking in at only 70% I am worried how we are going to make it. During the time when my LTD claim was being evaluated, I was scared that I would be rejected because STD was such a pain that I started applying for other jobs. Well, it took less than one day for me to be approved for LTD. Recently a previous employer made me an offer for just under 80K and are willing to let me work from home. My fear though is that it will be too difficult to perform or won't work out for some reason and then I will be at an even bigger disadvantage because I will lose my current LTD income. I have a good policy with own OCC definition for disability, but since I will be earning over 80% of my pre-disability pay, I think I will be deemed "not disabled". There are return to work incentives, but they don't seem to address my situation specifically. I've also read that by calling LTD company to ask about returning to work that you will open a can of worms.

I have a wife and 3 young kids. My wife hasn't worked since having our first child, and I am not sure that she will be able to find much of a job. I really want what's best for my family, but working myself into the dirt for 20 - 30K more a year might not be in mine or my family's best interest.

I'm also afraid that if I pass up this opportunity to take a new job that I may not have another opportunity. New employer only has 60% LTD which is another factor eating away at me. Does anyone have any insight into this difficult decision?

Thank you for your advice!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2020, 09:19 AM   #2
    iloveemma
    (female)

iloveemma HB User
    Re: Just Approved for LTD now I have a job offer

Not sure about LTD, is it through your employer..?? Youíll need to check if youíre allowed to earn an income. Iím on SSDI and youíre only allowed to make about $800/month. Because of course, youíre on disability because youíre not able to work.
    But this is LTD Through your employer

Reply Reply