It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board

• Pleas Help with Non-medical

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-15-2004, 02:51 PM   #1
    clear
    (male)

clear HB User
    Cool Pleas Help with Non-medical

Just got a notice that I meet the medical requirements of disability but non-medical has not been determined.

What is non-medical?

Thanks

OK, I may be able to answer my own question and help others.

Quote from socialsecurity.org

DISABILITY BENEFITS: To receive Social Security Disability benefits, a worker must meet certain medical and non-medical requirements.

The medical requirement is that the worker must have a medical condition, either mental or physical, which is so severe that it prevents him or her from working, at any employment, at a level that is considered substantial and gainful. Substantial gainful activity is measured in 2004 as being able to earn $810 per month. Also, the severe condition must be expected to last at least 12 months or end in the worker’s death.

The non-medical requirement is that a worker must have enough recent work and earnings to qualify for disability benefits. Work and earnings are measured at Social Security by assigning credits to a worker's record. For example, in 2004 a worker earns one credit for each $900 in Social Security covered earnings he or she has. A worker can earn up to a maximum of 4 credits per year. To receive disability benefits a worker, age 31 or older, must have at least 20 credits on his or her Social Security record in the 10-year period immediately before the time he or she becomes disabled. (For workers under age 31 the required number of credits is less.) This means that if a worker age 31 or older becomes disabled after being unemployed for more than five years, he or she would not have enough recent work (credits) on his or her Social Security record to meet the non-medical work requirement. If the non-medical work requirement is not met, Social Security is unable to pay disability benefits to the worker, no matter how severely disabled the worker might be.

I have been unemployed for almost three years, but I think I have enough credit. If anyone can add some light, I would appreciate it. I am 35 and did receive the social security statement before I became unemployed.

One more Edit, I said I was 35, I forgot, I turned 36 today!! Ummm, denial maybe?

I got the medical acceptance on my birthday.

Thank you.

Last edited by clear; 05-15-2004 at 07:21 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2004, 06:25 AM   #2
    crabbyroad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

crabbyroad HB User
    Re: Pleas Help with Non-medical

Ok what its stating is the last 10 years, at max 4 credits per year, you havent worked in 3 yrs, so Im reading it as no credit for those years, so they will look at the remaining 7 yrs, were you basically employed from 1994-2001? Those are the years that will count towards credit if you havent worked since 2001. And it will go on the income that you made, one credit for each $900 made during the year, so as long as you made $3600 for each year, you were credited the max of 4 credits allowed each year. So the minimum credits are 20 from 1994 till present. Ie, basically if you worked or were working since age 26 (ten yrs ago), making an average of $3600 yearly or more ,after 5 years you would reach the minimum required 20 credits, being the non-medical requirement (its really just your income earned that is given the term non medical here)

Old 05-19-2004, 12:13 PM   #3
    sandstorm

sandstorm HB User
    Re: Pleas Help with Non-medical

I too have gotten a letter saying that I have met the medical requirements but they have not made a decison whether I meet the non medical requirements. They are to make a decision soon and inform me by letter.

I was previously disabled 1985 thru 1994 then went back to work the end of 1995 and made $2,955.00 and from years 1996 thru 2001 over $18,000.00. I had to take work leave 2/14/01 (HCV and treatment problems) and have not been abel to work since (caused other health problems). They are saying that they are going with 1-1-04 as the begining date of disability (when I went to see one of thier doctors).

Do I have enough credits? Do they consider my previous disability in the equation?

Closed Thread