It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board

• dr fired me

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-13-2004, 10:54 AM   #1
    jencat
    (female)

jencat HB User
    dr fired me

I am new to posting here, have been reading posts here for several months & gotten lots of helpful info. Now I hope someone can help me. I have several health problems (meniere's disease, migraines, fibromyalgia, chronic sinusitis, allergies, asthma, carpal tunnel syndrome both hands, several sleep disorders, undefined seizure disorder, osteo arthritis both knees, ankles & hips, completely useless left ankle-needs fusion but waiting for ability to have anesthesia, and a new problem, bulging discs at C5 & C6, herniation of C7-due to see neuro-surgeon tomorrow on emergency basis).

My ENT who has seen me for last 10 yrs has been recently asked to fill out forms for short-term disability from my employer. Well, yesterday I got a letter from ENT TERMINATING our physician/patient relationship, effective immediately. He did strongly encourage me to follow-up with my neurologist, but he is the dr that I have gone to for the longest time (lost my orthopedic surgeon & family dr this yr when one retired & one moved to another state). Will his termination of our relationship hurt my claim for disabiliy?

I have begun the process to file with SSDI (haven't worked since Jan 2004), I have been on STD during this time, but they are denying that now, saying that after I went to their independant ENT, he felt I could do sedentary work, but could not be expected to turn my head up, down, left or right and that I would stay permanently dizzy. He did not take into account the fact I am having 5-6 seizure-episodes per week (still loosly defined as seizures, I pass out, when I come to, cannot talk or move for several minutes to an hour). These happen EVERYWHERE & my family & friends and even my boss encouraged me to stay off work, that returning could put me in more stress and danger.

I'm so upset because I've never been fired from a dr before & really don't understand this. I'm hurt (thought I had a good relationship with him) and now have to find another ENT in this area familiar with Meniere's, on top of all my other problems.

Any info that would help (or even just comfort me) would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2004, 01:46 PM   #2
    cardinal
    Senior Veteran

cardinal HB User
    Re: dr fired me

Jencat, I feel your pain... I too, have been abused by the "system". What I do, well, I am right in the middle of a major life change, move. No insurance, waiting on my ssi disability to maybe get approved, fighting a legal battle with my ltd ins thru my job, no income. Keep strong!!!! Fight. I wrote a letter to the judge of ssi, stated my problems and history. Looks like it may have worked? I don't know for sure. But I am moving , alone, and scared. I believe, faith. Goodness will prevail, if we are honest and stay strong. All I can say is don't give up, write letters, keep calling and don't give up!!! I never did, time will tell. But live a good life, honest and be a good person, smile even though you hurt it may pay off if only to yourself, atleast you did your best!!!!! I have so many issues, but , I know in my heart I gave it my all, and the big 'guy" will have the last word!

Old 06-14-2004, 06:43 PM   #3
    Mellow Yellow
    (female)

Mellow Yellow HB User

It's shocking that doctors can get away with this type of behvaiour. It is their responsibility to fill out disability forms. What if they all turn you away and the only doctor you can see is one selected by the people to whom you are applying for disability?
    I had this happen to me when trying to find a doctor in my new town. I told them I was on disabilty and would need forms filled out from time to time. They'd say "Fine, that's no problem" but when the time came they would change their mind, give me dirty looks, try to injure me during physical examinations, then send me a letter by registered mail saying I was no longer allowed in their clinic. They just don't want to deal with the legalities of signing disablity forms.

Old 06-14-2004, 07:57 PM   #4
    jencat
    (female)

jencat HB User

Wow, at least I'm not alone. I just met with a new dr today (not ENT, but a neurosurgeon), he seemed nice & I mentioned disability forms, he said no problem, just pay $15 fee at desk on the way out & they take 5 days to get them back to you. I'd much rather pay a small fee than have a dr just turn me out for being disabled.

Thanks for the replies - I feel better to know I'm not alone. I was in so much pain today I didn't call ENT's ofc (thought I would probably say something less than professional), will call later in the week to obtain a complete copy of my records for new ENT (I'm still looking for one who sees meniere's pts).

Old 06-15-2004, 04:46 AM   #5
    peregrine
    Inactive

peregrine HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jencat
    I am new to posting here, have been reading posts here for several months & gotten lots of helpful info. Now I hope someone can help me. I have several health problems (meniere's disease, migraines, fibromyalgia, chronic sinusitis, allergies, asthma, carpal tunnel syndrome both hands, several sleep disorders, undefined seizure disorder, osteo arthritis both knees, ankles & hips, completely useless left ankle-needs fusion but waiting for ability to have anesthesia, and a new problem, bulging discs at C5 & C6, herniation of C7-due to see neuro-surgeon tomorrow on emergency basis).

My ENT who has seen me for last 10 yrs has been recently asked to fill out forms for short-term disability from my employer. Well, yesterday I got a letter from ENT TERMINATING our physician/patient relationship, effective immediately. He did strongly encourage me to follow-up with my neurologist, but he is the dr that I have gone to for the longest time (lost my orthopedic surgeon & family dr this yr when one retired & one moved to another state). Will his termination of our relationship hurt my claim for disabiliy?

I have begun the process to file with SSDI (haven't worked since Jan 2004), I have been on STD during this time, but they are denying that now, saying that after I went to their independant ENT, he felt I could do sedentary work, but could not be expected to turn my head up, down, left or right and that I would stay permanently dizzy. He did not take into account the fact I am having 5-6 seizure-episodes per week (still loosly defined as seizures, I pass out, when I come to, cannot talk or move for several minutes to an hour). These happen EVERYWHERE & my family & friends and even my boss encouraged me to stay off work, that returning could put me in more stress and danger.

I'm so upset because I've never been fired from a dr before & really don't understand this. I'm hurt (thought I had a good relationship with him) and now have to find another ENT in this area familiar with Meniere's, on top of all my other problems.

Any info that would help (or even just comfort me) would be greatly appreciated.
    I do not understand. Why exactly did this doctor "fire" you? I have never heard of such a thing. If you do not know the reason I would definitely ask!

Old 06-15-2004, 02:49 PM   #6
    JenEbean
    (female)

JenEbean HB User

Did you have any warning about the "firing"? Did you have a lot of "no show" appointments or canceling appointments without a 24 hour notice?

I work in a doctors office and patients get fired for:

3 No shows
    3 canceling appointments without a 24 hour notice
    Consistently requesting narcotics early
    Verbally abusing any staff member
    or dishonesty (such as seeing another doc and getting meds and trying to keep it from the doc)

Not saying you did any of these things at all, just trying to say why our office would fire a patient. I would definitely call them and ask for a reason why you got fired. They owe you that much.

Old 06-15-2004, 08:49 PM   #7
    jencat
    (female)

jencat HB User

JenEbean:
    I had no notice of firing - received letter in mail on Sat. I have never missed an appointment, always paid my copayment at the time I was seen, never requested any medication refill early, never verbally abused staff, and never saw another dr he wasn't aware of and didn't send me to himself.

I feel I was fired as his patient because of the company I work for, they are very aggressive in requesting copies of medical records when an employee is being paid via their short-term disability plan. They do not accept a drs note, they require copies of the medical records. When they did so, they sent me for an independant medical examination - this dr basically tried to discredit my drs findings, then said I could work if I did not look up, down, left or right (get real!). I think my dr was seriously offended by this, but furthermore, my dr has a brother who is an atty & I think he may have told him to drop me - that dealing with my company was 'bad news' and he should just get away from this.

My stance on this is that its not MY fault that my company has such strict requirements to pay my benefits (the one's I have paid for out of every paycheck for the last 8 yrs). If I had known they were going to cost me a dr that I truly trusted & really liked, I might have tried harder to keep them from hasseling him. Still, I need to be paid, and they do all this stuff to keep from paying you (its a real game). I guess I'm really just hurt that he let this get in the way of our dr/patient relationship, he is one of the best ENT's in this area, and I really trusted him. Now I've got to find another ENT that treat's meniere's, not an easy task in this area.

I did finally call the office today & they stated the reason was outlined in the letter (it wasn't - he just said "I am terminating the provider/patient relationship"). His office staff did get very quiet when I asked if it was due to forms from my job, but I didn't want to put them on the spot, the girl was obviously uncomfortable talking to me about this anyway, so I plan to request a reason in writing. That should get me an answer without putting his staff in an uncomfortable position.

Old 06-22-2004, 12:13 PM   #8
    leather green
    (female)

leather green HB User

Hello all, Should I ask my doctor to fill out forms? I am not for sure or will My Attorney get in touch with him? Thank you....
    Leather green

Closed Thread