It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board

• Just curious, Can we all list them?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-10-2005, 11:03 AM   #1
    DanaC65
    (female)

DanaC65 HB User
    Question Just curious, Can we all list them?

I'm just curious to kniow what everyone's Age and what you got SSI or SSD for. I have been fighting since 10/02 and still waiting, while my husbands cousin gets his at 39 for only depression and takes 40mg of prozac a day, friend at 41 for low back pain, my sister at 44 for depression and I could go on and on.
    I am 40 and have:

decompression and fusion with plate and 4 screws at C5-6.
    Central stenosis C4-5 through C6-7.
    Moderate prominence of the annulus fibrosis at C6-7
    Moderate degeneration at L5-S1 disc
    Tear at L5-S1 with midline disc herniation.
    Fibromyalgia
    CFS
    Chonic Mono
    IBS
    Bad knees
    Major depression disorder
    Bipolar

My Meds are:
    Topamax 50mg 1 day
    flexeril 20mg 2 day
    Darvocet N 100 3 day
    Lorcet 10/650 3 day
    Tramadol hcl 3 day
    Zanaflex 4 mg at bedtime
    Geodon 40 mg 2 day
    Celexa 20mg 1 day
    Lithum 450mg 1 day.

Dana
    Lady in waiting

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2005, 01:44 AM   #2
    Charlyssa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Charlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB User
    Re: Just curious, Can we all list them?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanaC65
    I'm just curious to kniow what everyone's Age and what you got SSI or SSD for. I have been fighting since 10/02 and still waiting, while my husbands cousin gets his at 39 for only depression and takes 40mg of prozac a day, friend at 41 for low back pain, my sister at 44 for depression and I could go on and on.
    I am 40 and have:

decompression and fusion with plate and 4 screws at C5-6.
    Central stenosis C4-5 through C6-7.
    Moderate prominence of the annulus fibrosis at C6-7
    Moderate degeneration at L5-S1 disc
    Tear at L5-S1 with midline disc herniation.
    Fibromyalgia
    CFS
    Chonic Mono
    IBS
    Bad knees
    Major depression disorder
    Bipolar

My Meds are:
    Topamax 50mg 1 day
    flexeril 20mg 2 day
    Darvocet N 100 3 day
    Lorcet 10/650 3 day
    Tramadol hcl 3 day
    Zanaflex 4 mg at bedtime
    Geodon 40 mg 2 day
    Celexa 20mg 1 day
    Lithum 450mg 1 day.

Dana
    Lady in waiting

Hi Dana!

I just listed these on my thread so it was easier to copy and paste them here. LOL I have arthritis in my spine, knees, and hips; chronic bilateral sacroiliitis; degenerative disk disease thruout my spine; chronic pain, stiffness and inflamation in my shoulders and wrists; scoliosis; fibromyalgia; Sjogren's Syndrome; mitral valve prolapse; migraines; GAD: depression; and in general, chronic pain in multiple areas. But I forgot I have IBS and TMJ, as well. However they are really part of the fibromyalgia. And I have recently been told I have mild hypertension, and, oh yes, osteoporosis, diagnosed soon after I got on SS. I'm 54. Feel like 94.

I take Lexapro, Doxepin, Ativan, Xanax, TriamTZ, Flexeril, Tylenol 3 and Actonel. I am soooo sorry for all that you are going thru!

Hugs!

Char

Old 09-11-2005, 10:04 AM   #3
    kaybee
    Inactive
    (female)

kaybee HB User

My husband (45) just received his notice of award but has been on LTD since '02. It has taken 3 years and 3 denials before receiving a favorable 'on the record decision'. IMO, the ALJ really blasted the state agency for not considering the findings of the CE they sent dh to and not looking at the supporting medical records in their entirety. Here is a brief summary of what they listed as approving him for:

Osteoarthritis, both knees
    Severe DDD throughout entire lumbar, cervical regions
    Herniated disc (at time of date of onset)
    Bulging discs, cervical

It doesn't sound very dibilitating until you really get into the medical records. His severe DDD has resulted in a microdiscectomy and then a 4 level fusion with bilateral lami/foraminotomy at each level, rod, screws, and cages. He's 4 months post-op with no promises that he'll ever reach a level of being able to sustain a 40 hr/week job. At this point there is no way. He needs 1 knee scoped, another replaced, and he also needs a 4 level cervical fusion.

Dh will be up for review in one year cause the ALJ is wanting to check recovery level and status on other surgeries. Dh can't even entertain the thought of another surgery until 18 months post-op. That's several months after the potential review. Ticks me off that most people don't get their first review for 3-4 years. Let's just keep this intense battle and worry over coverage an annual event, KWIM?

Last edited by kaybee; 09-12-2005 at 06:30 AM.

Old 09-11-2005, 10:42 AM   #4
    Buzz

Buzz HB User

I got my ltd and ssdi at 47 I did not tell them about any problems except the dcm that I have and the only dr I listed was the cardio dr that treats it. I have had a small stroke related to the heart problem but saw no reason to list the nuroligist and family drs because it was not the reason I was fileing and it would not be a acceptable reason to get the ssdi so why waste my drs and thier time checking all that stuff out. So my thought was make it as easy as possible and see what happends so I did and got both without alot of problems. The people I know that got ssdi each had a single major problem that qualifyed them and dident have a problem getting it. I dont know anyone that added up alot of things that by thereselves dont qualify to add up to cant work anymore. I can see how they might think someone would be taking advantage of the system doing that.

Old 09-11-2005, 11:21 AM   #5
    Charlyssa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buzz
    I got my ltd and ssdi at 47 I did not tell them about any problems except the dcm that I have and the only dr I listed was the cardio dr that treats it. I have had a small stroke related to the heart problem but saw no reason to list the nuroligist and family drs because it was not the reason I was fileing and it would not be a acceptable reason to get the ssdi so why waste my drs and thier time checking all that stuff out. So my thought was make it as easy as possible and see what happends so I did and got both without alot of problems. The people I know that got ssdi each had a single major problem that qualifyed them and dident have a problem getting it. I dont know anyone that added up alot of things that by thereselves dont qualify to add up to cant work anymore. I can see how they might think someone would be taking advantage of the system doing that.

Granted, there are many who try to 'take advantage of the system', but typically they are people who claim phantom pains and problems that aren;t substantiated by tests, exrays or any sort of medical documention at the time they file, or in recent years prior. I had a 2 decade long history and documentation of medical problems that kept increasing in severity and intensity. I claimed nothing that wasn't part of the problem and reasons why I could no longer work. It was BECAUSE of multiple diseases, afflictions and pains that I was granted disability, because, in total, they do make for a disability, even according to SS guidelines. Everyone's situation is different and they are treated as such. Certainly there are some people who have one major dibilitating disease, such as a lady here with MS, which affects her body systemically. I have multiple conditions which affect my body systemically. What it comes down to is not a comparison of who's got it worse. Whether there is one major condition, or 10 lesser ones, SS bases their decision partly on severity and how it, or they, affect ones ability to work.

Char

Old 09-12-2005, 12:44 PM   #6
    bleego
    (female)

bleego HB User

Hello All,
    I had triple bypass 2 years ago today. 4 hours post op, I had a massive heart attack,actually died , resulting in Class 4 heart failure. I take 16 medications daily and I am 53 yrs old and female. I also had 3 TIA's between Oct and Dec 2003. I feel very fortunate to be here. I started drawing my LTD in Dec 2003(3 mos after sx). The LTD ins co decided I needed to file for SSD in Feb 2004. I was initially denied in Sept 2004. I filed for reconsideration and was granted SSD in Dec 2004, with my original disability date as of Sept 12, 2003. I will come up for 3 year review in 2006 I believe. Hang in there, I am told most people are denied about 3 times before receiving. I was also told by the SS worker that you should mention all of your medical diagnosis, the reason being, they may not consider you disabled on one alone, but you very well could be disabled with a combination of diagnosis'. But being truly disabled you have no choice but to keep trying. Good luck and I hope you receive your award very soon. Bleego

Last edited by bleego; 09-12-2005 at 12:56 PM.

Old 09-12-2005, 01:22 PM   #7
    Charlyssa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Bleego,

Sometimes it seems that there is no rhyme nor reason as to how SS makes determinations. I know someone who was granted disabilty for just depression and fibromyalgia. I have both plus plenty of other things, was denied twice and had to appear before an ALJ. Don't think I'll ever understand it! But I'm glad you didn't go thru TOO much of a hassle!

Quote:
    I was also told by the SS worker that you should mention all of your medical diagnosis, the reason being, they may not consider you disabled on one alone, but you very well could be disabled with a combination of diagnosis'.
    Yes, I remember now being told the same thing, to list EVERYTHING, and let them decide what's important and what's not. But there were some things I didn't because they absolutely didn't pertain to my disabilities and reasons why I couldn't work any longer. It was a long and tedious process but I have found that you must hang in there and not give up. It took me 3 years so I sure was tempted along the way, however!

Hugs

Char

Old 09-13-2005, 07:20 AM   #8
    kaybee
    Inactive
    (female)

kaybee HB User

Dh's caseworker said to even list an ingrown toenail... With his 3 denials, he didn't even play the depression card but did list his meds for it. The caseworker specifically asked if this was in part a basis for his claim and he said it was not. The denial letter referenced the fact that he is 'claiming' depression but it is not debilitating to him, another reason for denial. I swear these people have no kind of degree or education when playing around with people's livelihood! The denial letters are form letters that sound like a 3rd grader could write them.

I have to laugh at the naivete of some people thinking they'll automatically get SSDI. For most people it isn't a first time award, especially if you are still considered young (18-44). I'm following a person on another board who is convinced he's disabled due to a torn rotator cuff and now he can't use the blackboard or overhead to teach. Bottom line is that he got a bad review the previous year and the admin is looking to fire him. He wants to 'enjoy' the rest of his life with his wife, receive SSDI, buy a camper and travel before he gets too old. Funny, I'm just wondering each and every day if my husband will be getting up or staying in bed!

Just one more observation in this long vent...IMHO, getting approved or not getting approved right away isn't necessarily based on the degree of disability. Age is a huge factor, as well as education (although I haven't figured that one out, yet), the state you live in, and sometimes the amount of medical evidence. For dh, the judge acknowledged that the medical evidence was sufficient and supportive, as well as the doctor's statements. Education or lack of it wasn't even a factor. Basically the state failed to consider all the evidence in it's entirety. Now how can they ethically get away with it?

Old 09-13-2005, 08:00 AM   #9
    DanaC65
    (female)

DanaC65 HB User

I first applied Oct 2002 and now on the 6 almost 7 month of my 3rd try and in re-conciederation stage and have an Attorny. I have more than enough medical evidence, even sent 2 new MRI reports to them yesterdaythat now say I have brain lesions. I've recieved 85% of my pay from my car insurance since my accident 6-9-2001 and lost that after 3 years. My Neruo has stated more than once that I will never work again. For heavens sake Yes I'm only 40, Have a 10 grade education with a GED, No collage, some private in hospital traning that was only good while I worked for that hospital. No way could I bartend of waitress (The only other work I've done) I have such tremors I can't trust myself to drink my coffee let alone serve it.
    I just don't understand.

Old 09-13-2005, 09:57 AM   #10
    kaybee
    Inactive
    (female)

kaybee HB User

I'm sorry, Dana, that just stinks that you've waited so long.

Another kicker to our story is that dh was sent by SS to a clinical exam and their dr. said that dh could not work. It was a long one and dh ended up in bed the next week because of it. They refuted their own doctor's claim. Unfortunately, there is no recourse. SSA screws up for whatever reason and in dh's case, they obviously chose not to consider some pertinent medical evidence and didn't even look at recent reports. I think if it was any other system instead of a government program, they would be held accountable for playing these games...

Hopefully, in your case, the third time will be the charm, but if not, maybe your atty will opt for an on the record decision before having to go to the appeal level and I'm sure you'll have a good chance of an award. That process seemed to be a bit quicker, BTW.

Old 09-14-2005, 08:24 AM   #11
    Charlyssa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    The denial letter referenced the fact that he is 'claiming' depression but it is not debilitating to him, another reason for denial.
    I found that they will take anything you say, twist it, and use it against you, as this sort of thing happened to me, too. And, half the time what they stated in their denial letters made no sense, either. A classic example was their telling me that I "couldn't work my current job, but that I could manage sedentary work." I had been a receptionist! DUH???

Quote:
    I swear these people have no kind of degree or education when playing around with people's livelihood!
    It seems as tho it's all on-the-job training - they learn how to use a book of codes which lists all medical problems, diseases, etc: This is disabling, that is not. But if they had some sort of medical training, they would recognize and understand the bigger picture, especially for those of us who have multiple afflictions.

Quote:
    Age is a huge factor, as well as education (although I haven't figured that one out, yet), the state you live in,
    I never knew this! I'm very curious how you found this out? Can't even begin to imagine why any of this makes a difference...and if it does, then the system is even more corrupt than I thought.

Quote:
    Basically the state failed to consider all the evidence in it's entirety.
    This was my problem, and quite typical, as well. I always got the feeling that they stubbornly believed that no one was truly disabled...that we're all a bunch of liars and fakers, that no matter WHAT we go thru, there is SOME sort of work we can manage. I often used to think that if they had to spend just ONE WEEK going thru what I did, MAYBE then they would get it.

Quote:
    For heavens sake Yes I'm only 40, Have a 10 grade education with a GED, No collage, some private in hospital traning that was only good while I worked for that hospital.
    None of this should matter to S.S., ONLY the disabilities! Hang in there and don't give up!

Quote:
    They refuted their own doctor's claim.
    Quote:
    they obviously chose not to consider some pertinent medical evidence and didn't even look at recent reports
    If this weren't so pathetic it would be funny. Just goes to show you the lengths they will go to in denying someone. If this does not prove that the system is corrupt, then I don't know what would. Was this told to the ALJ? When I appeared before the Judge I picked apart everything said in the denial letters, pointed out MANY inconsistencies, some of the medical evidence that they completely ignored, and, in general, made the people who decided my case look like fools. And believe me, that wasn't difficult to do.

Hugs

Char

Old 09-14-2005, 10:14 AM   #12
    kaybee
    Inactive
    (female)

kaybee HB User

Char,

I found out what factors influence the decision through the ssa site, primarily, through some other forums, and it was always referenced in the denial letters. If it's the education that you were wondering about, it is a confusing one to me. Dh has only been a vendor the past umteen years with no training in anything else whatsoever and a high school degree. SSA kept making that blanket statement, 'based on your education and previous work experience, there is other, less physical work available that you can do' (not a direct quote but close enough). That wasn't quite as bogus as you being able to do sedentary work...I wonder what they tell the disabled chemical engineer, or the highly educated fella with a business degree?

In listening to your basis for denial, I'm beginning to think they all have this paper that has various blanket statements for the situation that is being denied written down as a reference and they have to plug in the one that fits the best.

Here is another bogus incident - Prior to dh's second denial, I called the rep and said that there was more significant medical evidence that we just received. The rep said, "We already know that he is in a lot of pain. To submit more evidence at this point will only delay the decision". One week later, the denial was in the mail and it said that dh is only experiencing a 'minimal amount of pain at this time'. That was written by the same rep that we spoke to on the phone about submitting more evidence! Maybe the denial was already written up and to submit more reports would have caused them to rethink it?

The ALJ in dh's case actually wrote in his favorable decision that the state failed to give enough consideration to the nontreating physician's (SSA's CE) recommendations as well as the treating physicians. He also sited them for not considering all of the medical evidence, such as MRI reports, etc... BTW, we know they had the reports because they sent one to the CE before my husband was subjected to the exam. They even sent him a more detailed report of limitations and prognosis from his neuro that we didn't know existed. Of course when the CE dr read parts of the report out loud I couldn't help but lose it because it pretty much took any hope away of dh getting much better and it came as quite an unexpected shock.

I did it again - relentless venting. Sorry, but WHEW! It does do the soul good to let it all out. Thanks, Char!

Old 09-15-2005, 09:39 PM   #13
    Charlyssa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    SSA kept making that blanket statement, 'based on your education and previous work experience, there is other, less physical work available that you can do'
    I honestly can't remember if this was mentioned in my denials, just that I could do other work. As a matter of fact, I bet it wasn't, or I would have been angry enough to bring it up to the judge and ask why it makes any difference. Disabilities have nothing to do with educational level, and I would highly resent the implication that they do.

Quote:
    I'm beginning to think they all have this paper that has various blanket statements for the situation that is being denied written down as a reference and they have to plug in the one that fits the best
    This is just about right, actually! They have a book that lists every affliction imaginable, it's all coded. With me it was pretty obvious they used it, when they picked apart everything I had and essentially said, THIS isn't disabling, THAT isn't disabling, either. But they apparently forgot about the one that shows that multiple afflictions, and pain, are disabling. Must have been someone new.

Quote:
    Maybe the denial was already written up and to submit more reports would have caused them to rethink it?
    Probably! And it would have also meant more work for him, poor baby. But to dismiss it without even knowing what it says???? Knowing full well that it could have had an impact on the case???? As I said, corrupt.

Quote:
    The ALJ in dh's case actually wrote in his favorable decision that the state failed to give enough consideration to the nontreating physician's (SSA's CE) recommendations as well as the treating physicians.
    That's the beauty of appearing before the judge - he can easily see where things went very wrong. Good for him!
    Quote:
    Of course when the CE dr read parts of the report out loud I couldn't help but lose it because it pretty much took any hope away of dh getting much better and it came as quite an unexpected shock.
    I remember having similar feelings. After 3 years of fighting, and believing wholeheartedly that I was disabled, there is still something about receiving the notice that states you are, in fact, disabled.

Quote:
    I did it again - relentless venting. Sorry, but WHEW! It does do the soul good to let it all out. Thanks, Char!
    I understand the feeling well!! I moaned and groaned about the whole process for a LONG time. I was so disgusted and frustrated with the whole ridiculous system I could have screamed. It's a broken system and it needs to be fixed...and that includes holding back, or whatever it's called, 5 months of benefits. WHY?? I am glad I represented myself, however. Saved a bundle, so, I guess I have that to console me. Don't know if you saw my thread but I' having the 3 year review, filled out the papers that had to be in by Aug. 5th, and haven't heard a thing yet. They must be reloading. LOL!!!

Hugs
    Char

Old 09-17-2005, 10:08 AM   #14
    kaybee
    Inactive
    (female)

kaybee HB User

Char, what was the review process like? Similar to the initial app? The ALJ suggested a review on dh in one year. Maybe by then he'll have received his first check! He definitely won't have had the next two surgeries. I CANNOT STAND the fact that we've finally won this battle only to have to turn around next July and go through the demeaning process all over again.

Doesn't the burden of proof switch to SSA in showing that you are not disabled? We're already 'skeert'! If they are as corrupt with the review as they were with the initial award process, dh could be cut off. Then LTD will already be on the side-line and he'll have to go through both processes of reinstatement. We think that when SSDI finally antes up, it will be more than what LTD pays, thanks to the kids, and we won't be under that thumb anymore.

Was your review delayed at all or pretty much on the 3-5 yr schedule?

Old 09-17-2005, 01:46 PM   #15
    Charlyssa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Kaybee -

Quote:
    Char, what was the review process like?
    I wish I knew! That's why I started my own thread here in hopes that someone would have been thru it and could then advise me. This is only my first review after having been on S.S. for 3 years. About the 25th of july I received a packet of papers to fill out and had to return by Aug. 5th and I have heard nothing since. I can tell you what I know so far, but it only pertains to the papers I received: Two forms to simply sign that will be forwarded to doctors you've seen so they can obtain med records for the last (in my case) 3 years. Most of the rest of papers were redundant - they wanted to know what doctors you'd seen, when, why...actually, the same type one receives when they first apply. You're also asked to list all meds you are on, if you've been hospitalized, if so, why, when, etc. They ask if you still feel you're disabled, to list all disabilties, has anything changed for better/worse, do you have new problems, if so, to list them. They also want to know if you've worked or gone to school. As you can see, pretty much the same stuff as when you first file. So, I mailed it all in and that's where it sits - not heard a word.

Quote:
    Doesn't the burden of proof switch to SSA in showing that you are not disabled?
    In a manner of speaking, yes. As far as I can tell, once you are awarded disability, you are considered disabled unless your condition improves to the point where you are not. So yes, I think they would have to prove it...and I suppose that would entail forcing your husband to be reevaluated, me too, for that matter. And that is what concerns me, because the LAST thing in the world I want to have to do is be subjected to all that testing by 3 different doctors and another battery of exrays. Not because I;m afraid they will think I'm no longer disabled, but because I don't want all that hassle again!! I went thru hell with those people and, as such, I am not eager to suffer thru it all again....to say nothing of what it does to ones nerves throughout it all.

Quote:
    We think that when SSDI finally antes up, it will be more than what LTD pays, thanks to the kids, and we won't be under that thumb anymore.
    Keeping my fingers crossed for you and your hubby, Kaybee!!

Quote:
    Was your review delayed at all or pretty much on the 3-5 yr schedule?
    As far as I know it will be every 3 years, but again, being that this is my first review, can't say for sure. They were about 2 months late sending me these papers. I was beginning to think maybe they had forgotten about me. HAA!!!!

Hugs

Char

Closed Thread