It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board

• 32 year old police officer now disabled/questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-01-2005, 05:44 PM   #1
    jayboy557
    Veteran
    (male)

jayboy557 HB User
    32 year old police officer now disabled/questions

i injured my back and had an artificial disc replacement l4-l5. now my bottom disc l5-s1 has a pinced nerve and my neck has a pinced nerve per the emg. is it possible for someone so young to get SS benefits. does something like back/neck problems count as disability or do you have to be totally disabled. i mean i can walk around. i just suffer all day long with pain and numbness and tingling.

anyone have a similar story or advice. i haven't applied yet but i didn't think i would qualify. now i worry about my family. my cobra insurance is up soon and i don't know what to do.

any advice will help. thanks, jason

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2005, 08:43 PM   #2
    eaglehope
    (female)

eaglehope HB User
    Re: 32 year old police officer now disabled/questions

I don't know much about this, but have you checked out the Social Security website?
    It might answer some of your questions. God bless you. You are in my prayers.
    http://www.socialsecurity.gov/disability/disability_starter_kits_adult_factsheet. htm#disability

Old 10-01-2005, 10:01 PM   #3
    kathy372001

kathy372001 HB User

Hello Jayboy557,
    Did you injury your back at work? I know that with the weight of your duty belt that must make your back even worse or havent you worked since your injury? As far as SS if your back is causing you not to do the job you have been doing I would apply it doesnt hurt to try Ive seen people get it for less medical reasons.
    As far as your Cobra insurance I know when my hubby stop being a police officer they wanted him to pay 900 a month to keep our family med and life insurance. But we did some searching on the inter net and found insurance alot cheaper for family we paid 100 a month got short term insurance till he got his current job. But we could of kept the short term for 24 months. But only needed it for 4.
    Like Eaglehope posted alot of imformation on the SS web site.
    Good luck
    Kathy
    arthritis
    IBS
    wheelchair 2003

Old 10-02-2005, 03:17 PM   #4
    jayboy557
    Veteran
    (male)

jayboy557 HB User

i first noticed my pain radiating down my leg while wearing my police gun belt which weighs 15 pounds or more. they denied my wc claim because i also had degeneration in my back like everyone elso in this world. i couldn't believe they denied me.

now i'm about to be without insurance and hurt to bad to work. my heck and my back. already had lower back surgery and now i probably will have lower back and neck surgery. i feel terrible for my wife and kids having to go through the worry of me not having a job. jason

Old 10-02-2005, 04:05 PM   #5
    kathy372001

kathy372001 HB User

Jason,
    WC is a pain all by its self Ive been fighting them since 2002. They also said that my injury wasnt WC that I was injuried before which wasnt true. But then after getting a great WC attorney they changed their mind but they still are fighting all the way. Have you contacted one and just asked if they thought you had a case.
    I know that having a injury effects your whole family. I found out because of my injury our whole lifes have changed. For me there is alot of guilt because Im not helping support the family and there is such a finacial burden put on my hubby. Plus he has to help do the house work and take care of my daughter and me.
    For him its guilt and anger because he cant fix my pain, and there isnt anything the drs can do for me. Which causes alot of stress for our marriage.
    We have learned that there is alot of things we have done together we cant and alot of time is spent at the drs office, which is frustrating all be its self.
    It wouldnt hurt to fill out the paper work for SSD you can do it on line too.
    Did your dr ever say that you could never be a police officer again?
    Or any other kind of job?
    Mine told me after a month of seeing me go home apply for SSD and learn to live with the pain.
    Also my hubby wanted to know if you had any disability insurance. He had some through the town he was working in. That way if he got injuried even at home he would still get a check every month. He is keeping his part time officers job (1day a month) just to keep his liscenes and that insurance and retirement plan. Keep us posted
    Good luck
    Kathy
    Good luck
    arthritis
    IBS
    wheelchair 2003

Old 10-02-2005, 05:19 PM   #6
    jayboy557
    Veteran
    (male)

jayboy557 HB User

i've been on long term disability for over a year. i don't know how long it will last. there is know way i will work as a police officer ever again. i worry about insurance since my cobra is running out.

i know i will have to have surgery in a few months. but my insurance will be up by then.

how long do you have to appeal wc claims if they are denied. i can't believe they denied me. 8 years on the job and the just fire you. no light duty. they just let you go. luckily i had short and long term disability. my hand, arm, and shoulder are get worse by the minute. it's travelling up my arm from the hand. it started in the knuckles/pinky finger and now my shoulder is killing me. thanks for talking with me. you've got some great advice and more importantly support. my wife and i are having problems. sometimes i just hold my two year old and cry. i feel so alone sometimes. tell your hubby to hand in there. i'm not going to push my religion on you but JESUS is the only reason i have gotten through this.

thanks again. i hope to hear from you again. jason

Last edited by jayboy557; 10-02-2005 at 05:21 PM.

Old 10-02-2005, 07:16 PM   #7
    littlelady2852
    (female)

littlelady2852 HB User
    Unhappy Re: 32 year old police officer now disabled/questions

Hello, I am now on long term disability for cronic neck and back pain, and carpal t6unnel in both wrists and depression. I lost my insurance when i got fired from job while on short term disability.I am looking for health insurance and dental insurance that i can afford. Can you please tell me the wesite that one os you seen health insurance for $100.00 a month.Thank you so much. I really need health insurance since my neck and back problems are getting worst.

Old 10-02-2005, 10:40 PM   #8
    Brenygirl
    (female)

Brenygirl HB User

Jason,
    My husband had 2 failed back surgeries and was able to receive SSDI at the age of 30. It was a 2year fight, we got our senators involved. We came close to living on the street. One of our senators got them to push it thru on an emergency appeal because we were VERY close to being evicted. When you lose your insurance check into insurance thru your state. We live in Wisconsin and receive Badgercare which is medical assistance. My hubby can't insure us thru his Medicaid and my job did not offer any insurance.

My hubby is finally able to work part time and eventually will be going off SSDI. I am applying for it real soon because I hurt my neck and back taking care of him after his surgeries. I also have DDD.

Good Luck to you Jason!
    Keep us posted
    ~Breny

Old 10-04-2005, 04:41 PM   #9
    kathy372001

kathy372001 HB User

Hello littlelady,
    We got the insurance through blue cross blue shield but it wasnt dental it was just medical and it was for me and my hubby. It was short term insurance you can do 3 or six months then you have to reapply hope this helps.
    Kathy
    arthritis
    IBS
    wheelchair 2003

Old 10-04-2005, 04:43 PM   #10
    kathy372001

kathy372001 HB User

Hello littlelady,
    Sorry for got to say just go to their web site www.bluecrossblueshield.com
    Kathy
    arthritis
    IBS
    wheelchair 2003

Old 10-04-2005, 10:33 PM   #11
    jayboy557
    Veteran
    (male)

jayboy557 HB User

thanks for the info brenny. hopefully things work out for you as well. jason

Closed Thread