It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board

• Back Pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-30-2006, 09:01 PM   #1
    dboberle
    (male)

dboberle HB User
    Back Pain

Is these problems enough to file for social security disability?
    On going back problems for 15 years.
    Am now in extreme pain. 43 year old Male working same job
    full time for 25 years.

Exam: MRI Spine LUMBAR W /O+W/ CONTRAST

L5-S1:
    metallic artifact emanates from the disk
    space, consistent with previous fusion. No disk displacement
    is present. There is mild spondylosis involving the left and
    right endplates extending into the neural foramina bilaterally
    and causing biforaminal narrowing.

L4-5:
    disk desiccation is present and a mild diffuse annular
    disk bulge. The AP stacked diameter measures 10 mm. No spinal stenosis
    is present, and the neural foramina are patent.

L3-4:
    disk desiccation is present at disk narrowing. A vacuum
    disk phenomenon is seen as a linear area of signal loss within the
    nucleus pulposos. There is a mild diffuse annular disk bulge
    indenting the epidural sac. There is no stenosis, and the
    neural foramina are patent.

L2-3:
    disk desiccation is present as well as a vacuum disk
    phenomenon. A minimal annular disk bulge is noted, which
    mildly indents the ventral subarachnoid space. No evidence of
    neural impingement. There is narrowing of the left lateral recess
    secondary to the disk bulge as well as associated left-sided
    spondylosis. There is a small vaccum disk phenomenon present.

L1-2:
    disk space narrowing is present and a vacuum disk
    phenomenon as well as a disk desiccation. There is a diffuse disk
    bulge indenting the CSF. There is no spinal stenosis or evidence
    of neural impingement.

IMPRESSION: 1. Multilevel disk degeneration with disk space
    narrowing and bulges at L1-2, L2-3, AND L3-4. No central spinal
    stenosis at any level. There is stenosis of the left lateral recess at L2-3
    due to asymmetric endplate spondylosis.
    2. Diffuse annular disk bulge at L4-5, not producing spinal stenosis.
    3. Status post interbody fusion at L5-S1. Mild bilateral foraminal
    narrowing due to endplate spondylosis but no obvious neural impingement

X-ray report:

There is a mild curvature to the upper lumbar spine convex to the right at L2.
    There is 2 mm retrolisthesis of L1 on L2 and of L2 on L3 in standing neutral position. These each reduce to 1 mm in flexion. At L1-L2 there is a increase in the retrolisthesis in extension, and there is no change at L2-L3.

MRI C-Spine

C1-2:
    Unremarkable

C2-3:
    A Mild 2 mm broad based posterior disc bulge is present. In addition, an asymmetric posterior osteophytic ridge is present as asymmetric uncovertebral joint hypertrophy effaces the left paracentral and foraminal regions of the thecal sac.

C3-4:
    Unremarkable except for minimal uncovertebral joint hypertrophy.

C4-5:
    A broad based 3-4 mm posterior disk bulge is present. Bilateral neural foraminal encroachment is noted at this level, slightly more severe on the right, due to combination of the uncovertebral joint and articular facet hypertrophy. The AP dimension of the thecal sac is reduced to 9-10 mm at this level.

C5-6:
    A broad based 3 mm posterior disc bulge is present which minamally effaces the ventral thecal sac. Relatively little convertebral joint hypertrophy is noted, and there is no evidence of neural foraminal encroachment. The AP dimension of the thecal sac measures 11 mm at this level.

C6-7:
    A broad based 3-4 mm posterior disc bulge is present. Posterior disc extension is most conspicuous in the left foraminal region resulting in
    asymmetric left sided neural foraminal encroachment. Relatively little uncovertebral joint hypertrophy is noted. The AP dimension of the
    thecal sac measures 11 mm at this level.

C7-T1:
    Unremarkable

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2006, 10:39 AM   #2
    BrittleBones
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User
    Re: Back Pain

I've seen people with all kinds of major problems: amputees, blindness, terminal cancer, depression, spinal fusions, etc. Many of these folks go to work every day and have no problem earning a living. I think that the Social Security Administration is more interested in how your particular disability limits your ability to earn a living in the job you were working at the time you became disabled. I worked in a law firm that employed an attorney who was wheelchair-bound for life. He was paralyzed from the neck down and used a pen like instrument that he puffed into to make his computer operate. He had every accomodation, including a person to help him all day long. I'm sure he was in pain, but he wanted to work more than anything. I, on the other hand, am a big baby compared to him! I applied for disability because of chronic pain and loss of mobility due to more than 10 spinal operations including fusions with instrumentation, etc. I've broken many bones due to severe osteoporosis and am currently waiting for a hip surgery to replace the one I broke last May, I've been without one since then. But, despite all of that, I was denied benefits by the Social Security Administration on the first go round.

I'm sorry I've gotten off the topic! So basically you can have some of the worst medical conditions there are and you can experience lots of serious surgeries and still come out the other side with the ability to work. But you might develop a minor back problem that is turned into a disaster because of a surgical blunder and find yourself unable to perform your usual job. There is someone who determines, based on the answers to questions that you are asked, if you can still perform your duties OR perform other duties in a similar work situation. If you can't, then I think you are approved for disability. If you can....well, you may get denied on the first try and have to appeal. Please don't give up if you are denied. Keep trying and get yourself an attorney who specializes in social security disability appeals. They only get paid if you win your case and even then the law limits the amount of money that they can receive from your past benefits. You didn't say what your disability is. You stated what your physical problems were but you didn't say what disability they cause. Is it chronic pain? Inability to walk? Unable to sit up for more than 1 hour, etc.? You know what I mean, right? I am really sorry that I just went on and on here. Hope I helped you a little bit. Post back and let us know what the rest of the story is, ok? All the best to you - KathyMac

Old 01-31-2006, 01:42 PM   #3
    dboberle
    (male)

dboberle HB User

Thank you Kathy Mac.
    I am in Chronic pain and am on several large doses of Narcotics. I am able to walk some but if I overdo it I can not. Can not sit for long or drive for long without severe pain that lasts for sometimes days. So to answer your question I do not have a specific disability.

Old 01-31-2006, 07:33 PM   #4
    Purplebill
    (male)

Purplebill HB User

Anyone may file for Social Security Disability benefits. The better question is what are my chances of success. Unfortunately, this kind of questrion cannot be answered over the internet with any degree of accuracy. To even guestimate would require interviewing you, your family, friends, co-workers, review your medical records for at least the last 5 yrs. review your SSA files, interview your treating physicians, and other medical practitioners, etc.

KathyMac's repsonse was excellent however, normally SSA looks to your ability to perform ANY kind of work, not just your past work or similar work. the usual standard for disability is the inability to peform any work (8 hrs. per day, 5 days per wk.). If you are able to earn $860.00 per month (for 2006) or more, you are not disabled.

Closed Thread