It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board

• What do you think my chances are?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-22-2006, 07:50 PM   #1
    TheMamaLisa
    (female)

TheMamaLisa HB User
    What do you think my chances are?

I am a 26 year old female. I have had issues holding employment due to depression and mood instability. I have worked but I have lost pretty much every job due to not being able to come in b/c I am crying or too emotional. I also have been morbidly obese for almost 6 years now. Because of my weight I have had chronic back pain resulting in a lumbar laminectomy last year. I have sever degenerative disk disease and have problems with severe pain and walking daily. I recently found out that my neck pain is due to spinal stenosis with my spinal cord being compromised and will need surgery in the next few months. I also have severe sleep apnea that is treated with cpap but I am still tired and out of it. I was given a diagnosis of idiopathic hypersomnia and fall asleep on average in 5.28 minutes. I have tried Adderall, Ritalin and now Provigil and none of those can keep me awake. The Provigil has somewhat helped but I still get uncontrollable sleep attacks in the afternoon. I have fallen asleep while driving and even on the phone with customer when I was working. It seems like everytime I try and work i lose my job due to my combination of problems. i applied for SS 2 days ago but seeing everybodys problems getting it I was wondering what my chances are of being approved the 1st time? I dont think I have the energy to fight if I need to. Thanks for your help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2006, 05:28 AM   #2
    Kissa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
    Re: What do you think my chances are?

Historically speaking most individuals get denied the first time. The key is to not give up and to find a good SS lawyer to assist you with the process and have good medical documentation. You probably have about a good of a chance as anyone else.

I know of a person who met the requirements with 4 seperate disabilities that SS acknowledged but was denied twice and was ready to go in front of the judge when their case was audited (they audit 1 in 5 so I've been told), during that audit they were approved and the comment was made they should have been approved the first time and not denied.

Old 05-23-2006, 07:02 AM   #3
    countrykid
    (female)

countrykid HB User

Just wanted to give you alittle hope in getting approved on your first application.
    I was lucky and approved immediately. I had massive amounts of doctors reports and tests. I know of others that have dibilatating conditions and they have also been approved. But like you have read on this board many are disapproved on their first try even with loads of medical history.
    Don't give up the fight even you are denied on the first application as Kissa mentioned it is to yur advantage to find a lawyer that handles only SS disablity cases.
    My husband had to obtain a lawyer because he didn't have enough medical documentation. His condition was not over a long period of time ....it was a sudden onset (under 4 years from onset till time of filling) and one that the reviewer felt he is still able to do some type of work. Yea right.. poor man can't hardly walk or sleep not to mention some other pleasures of life. He has Diabetic Neuropathy.
    So you see just in one family one can be approved and another denied.
    You should hear in about 2 weeks from SS for things you will have to provide for them. Make sure you keep on top of your doctors to submitt all the items that SS requests ASAP. Their delay can cause your case to be delayed or denied.

Old 05-23-2006, 08:18 AM   #4
    TheMamaLisa
    (female)

TheMamaLisa HB User

I am thinking my documentation should be plenty i hope. I have 2 very thick charts and will be starting on 3rd soon. It seems like I live at the Dr, lol. I am at a Dr about 2 times a week average. The thing is my Dr never told me I am disabled I am going off the fact I cant hold a job from missing way too much work and pain mental issues ect. I think when I tell them i applied for SS they will back me up. Is there somthing I should do to have them put in my record i am disabled. I read other posts and read that they do their own determination and dont necessarily go by what the Dr says? Thanks everyone for your help!

Old 05-23-2006, 04:49 PM   #5
    countrykid
    (female)

countrykid HB User

I would let your doctors know that you have filed for SSDI. That way they will record all your medical stats on the record. I had a family doctor once that because he treated me for so many years and knew my history he did not always document my problems. He just would put in his chart "Discussed and reviewed symptoms. Because he didn't have everything documented when he had to go for a deposition he spent 8 hours there.

Old 05-31-2006, 09:31 AM   #6
    Fibbles
    (male)

Fibbles HB User

I was approved on the first try, but I hadn't actually started out to get SSD either - I was just along for the ride when my little sister was getting her benefits after my dad died (she was 16). We went to the SS office and a disabled person working there stopped my mom and told her that I should apply for benefits.

I applied in January of 2000 and got approved in May of that same year.

What's wrong with me? I have no idea what it's called, but it's some sort of bone disease that affects every bone and joint in my body. Most of my joints aren't connected the way they should be is it in a nutshell. That has caused some deformation of my chest, feet, hands, shoulders, back, neck, hips and knees (the worst anyway). Symptoms are pain.

I've got a relative in Chicago that was approved and his only problem is mild diabetes. He doesn't follow his care plan either and he still drives and does everything a 'normal' person would. Another relative in Wisconsin fell off the roof of a house he was painting and hit his head. It caused some brain damage and he also has severe tremors, but was denied SS twice so far. I know his mother got a lawyer and that's the last I've heard.

Last edited by Fibbles; 05-31-2006 at 09:33 AM.

Old 06-17-2006, 03:42 AM   #7
    etIII
    (male)

etIII HB User

Dear MamaLisa,
    Not to side track the disability issue right now. Have your Drs. checked your O2 and CO2 intake? My son has almost the same symptoms as you. He's on more oxygen lately. Please stop driving, my friend who has sleep-apnia did that to me on a winding road once, never again!

Closed Thread