It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board

• Vocational Expert

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-24-2007, 09:51 PM   #1
    waswell
    (male)

waswell HB User
    Question Vocational Expert

I was told that there was a possibility that I may have to see a vocational expert for S.S.D.because of my past skills,to determine if I could work at something else.I'm closer to 60 than 55,I would appreciate y'all thoughts on this.
    Thanks

Last edited by moderator2; 01-25-2007 at 06:29 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2007, 01:08 AM   #2
    Lisa_P
    (female)

Lisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB User
    Re: Vacational Expert

I didn't know there was such a thing -- vocational expert, right? How is that different from your high school guidance counselor?

Old 01-25-2007, 10:30 AM   #3
    Mz Migraine
    Inactive
    (female)

Mz Migraine HB UserMz Migraine HB User
    Re: Vocational Expert

I was 50+ when I applied & finally fully approved & never once asked to see a vocational expert although one was at the ALJ hearing.

Maybe it depends on the state?

Old 01-25-2007, 01:07 PM   #4
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

My attorney actually told me to go to a vocational eval because he thought it would help my case even more. I never have because I know there's nothing for a person like me , I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box , I only have a G.E.D. I quit school ,(dumbest thing ever I've done ) Plus the pain will not let me sit or stand at one time to long.

Old 02-03-2007, 07:52 PM   #5
    Samee
    (female)

Samee HB User

A VE is there for the judge only...It is their job to inform the judge if there is a job out there in the national registry that you can perform....They may ask you a question or two if they have any questions about your condition to help them make their decision....

In my case the VE testified that there was no jobs in the national registry I could perform due to my back injury and other conditions...I just turned 40, I applied for SSD when I was 36....I was approved last Sept...

Now, the big question most ask is this....Say if you were a CEO of a company, became injured and filed SSD...you are sitting in the hearing and the judge turns to the VE and asks him/her is there any jobs you can perform, considering age, education, and training possiblities????? If the VE replies and says, "Yes, with this injury they can be a ticket taker, a cashier, or a pencil sharpner, the judge will most likely deny your benefits...If you are able to perform the most basic duties, even if the salary from being a CEO verses being a ticket taker is considerably less, you are able to work in their eyes...

Its been said that a VE will either get your benefits approved or denied by what they have to say.....

Old 02-07-2007, 12:50 PM   #6
    charliecat31
    Veteran
    (female)

charliecat31 HB User

I've actually had a VE (Vocational Evaluation). It was a few years ago, but it was conducted at my attorney's office and took a couple of hours. It was mostly done on a lap top computer and determins what, if any type of work you are able to do. For me it carried a lot of weight in my getting approved for SSD and W.Comp

Old 02-07-2007, 01:08 PM   #7
    ICC
    Inactive
    (female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

Same thing with my husband. He had the vocational evaluation done by a WC person and his own attorney's which helped him tremendously to win his WC case. then at his SSD hearing which took about 3 years to even get there was another evaluator there who continued to tell the Judge that there were no jobs he could do. won that in a weeks' time. I have found through experience that all WC cases are different and so are SSD cases. Wc depending on the state and SSD is what it is. some who should never get it do right away and others who truly suffer it takes them years. best to all.

ICC

Closed Thread