It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board

• Vocational Rehabilitation

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-21-2007, 05:44 AM   #1
    yvette777
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yvette777 HB User
    Vocational Rehabilitation

Well I applied months ago, and today is finally my appointment at voc rehab. I guess if you qualify then they will help you with training for a different kind of job for free and help with transportation, utilities etc while you are going through school and help with job placement.

I guess you have to see there doctors etc.

I don't know if anyone else has went, but I am applying, I really don't know what kind of job to do when I can't sit long, stand long, lift etc.

But, maybe they have some brilliant ideas. The lawyer said if the place says they can't help you then that helps your case. But who knows. I dont' want to sit at home the rest of my life.

Has anyone else done this

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2007, 06:37 AM   #2
    clover60
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

clover60 HB User
    Re: Vocational Rehabilitation

Yvette
    My husband went thru this years ago when he applied for ssi They told him they could not help him. He was crushed because he so wanted to go back to work. But he did get the ss.

Good luck you are in my prayers.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:02 PM   #3
    Roy47
    Inactive
    (male)

Roy47 HB User

Yvette,

Voc. Rehab is a program that works for some and some not so well as Clove has said.

I have applied for it as well in the past, here is my concept and experiences up to this point. You have to take a battery of tests; based off the tests that you take it is supposed to give you a range of jobs or identify your skills that you can or have had in the past.

Since I spent the majority of my years working for uncle sugar as I call him, it really has not done a lot for me either. I was told by my state VA Voc. Rehabilation guy that my scores were some of the lowest he has seen. I find that hard to believe, seeing if you have taken the test for the Post Office then it is fairly close I scored a 92% on that test and with the 10 points for being a Veteran and so on. I still could not be a postal employee with a score of 102/

One of the VA Reps went to the Neb. Med. Center and presented what and how it could benefit them if they would hire me for a job that I was trained for in the military and they told him thanks but no thanks. IT seems to depend on the employer. I used to work security for 18 months before my back finally went out for the most part. The nurse said that I could no longer wrestle with the patents that I was to big of a liability to the University of Nebraskas Medical Center and would not release me back to full duty.

It does and can help with on the job training and can help pay for some of the equipment that one might need in order to keep a job there. It is supposed to help you get a foot in the door so to speak. I think that it is and was instrumental in obtaining a full time job at 1stcomp. I told them about the progam and they went to looking into it right away and low and behold I was a candidate for the job and was one of 3 others that will be hired and training will start on the 16th of July. It will pay your salary for 6 months and in some situations it will pay for it up to a year as well at times.

I think it is a lot to do with the attitude of the employer and the willingness to work with the VOC REHAB program. I wish you nothing but the best of luck... The worst they can tell you is no, and we have all heard that. Trust me - I have heard that a lot since I retired in Sept 04 up to this point. My spread sheet is long....

Roy

Old 06-22-2007, 04:53 AM   #4
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

Pray things went well for you Vette and something positive will come out of this.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:20 AM   #5
    yvette777
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yvette777 HB User

well she said that I automatically get in because I have been treated for not only my back but anxiety and depression for years...don't understand that,but it sounds good. They said they could help me find a career that will not further compromise my spine etc. So she is sending off for records and then notifying me I don't know what the next step is...but I need to do something I love dog grooming I just don't think it will be smart long term or I will end up possibly with other levels going out.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:59 AM   #6
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

That will be awesome!! You deserve a break today.

I groomed my dogs yesterday and all I have to say is that is hard work and I don't see how anyone who has a bad back can do it all day long.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:37 AM   #7
    mamakitkat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mamakitkat HB User

HI Yvette,
    I do hope they help you. I love animals too and I worked at a shelter for a few years and it was hard just cleaning cat cages so I know how you feel not being able to do what you love. I did not look into this service but I do knwo that when I went in front of the judge for my SSD hearing they had a vocational lady there and it was her job to find jobs that I coudl do in the state of ohio, she found 2 jobs that fit my classification (sedentary) but she said I coudl not perform them because I had to sit, lay or stand at will and coudl not do that on these jobs. Althought I won my SSD fight after 4 yrs. it was a bitter sweet victory only being 44 it was hard to swallow that I can't work anymore, funny one of the jobs she had for me was a dowel inspector, I can't even inspect dowel's (thats depressing).

Anyway, however it turns out you have us here to lean on or to celebrate with. I know it will work out for you because we are all praying for you so hard. Good Luck!

God Bless

Carol

Old 06-22-2007, 01:36 PM   #8
    Moldova
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Yvette, i hope they will be able to find something for you. The only thing, make sure you will be looking at your new carrier as a long term: will you be able to do this type work for the whole day, month, etc. Will you be able to seat or stand all day? Because sometimes we feel we can do it all - and when we try , does not work due to our back problems...
    My girlfriend has 2 adoroble cockers and after she grooms them (it takes her hours to finish) she always complains about her back even though she has no back problems!!! So you are smart realizing that certain things you can't do anymore...
    Good luck to you, i hope all will be OK!!

Old 07-06-2007, 08:05 PM   #9
    DesertBloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi Yvette: Sorry for posting late, but wondered if you could do some type of job from home? My husband went through this when he settled his WC case a couple of years ago, and because he can no longer drive or walk very far, they came up with a job where he could do taxes from home. I'm not sure how they came up with that, except he didn't have sitting limitations just standing, walking and no driving. When he completed the program they gave him a new computer, programs (MS Office, Quicken, etc) printer, scanner etc. for course completion.

He went through the Local Tax Preps training and also some up grade stuff on computers, in the end it didn't work out, but the point of the story is they will think of home jobs that suit your physical limitations. As I recall it all depends on how you do on their tests, and what they think best fits your educational abilities along with physical limitations. He also had to learn all of MS Office, Quicken and some other bill keeping programs. He worked real hard and learned some new stuff, so it wasn't a total loss. He had another medical problem after this that put the cabosh on it all, which was horrible.

Good luck, I remember when you were worried about applying for all this stuff, glad it worked out, even if you aren't done yet. How's it going at the Y??? and new place?? Did you ever apply for SSD? or just Medicaid?

Last edited by DesertBloom; 07-06-2007 at 08:08 PM.

Closed Thread