It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board

• Handicapped Parking Problems

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-30-2007, 07:28 AM   #1
    Parden
    Inactive
    (male)

Parden HB User
    Thumbs up Handicapped Parking Problems

Can you relate to some of these problems:
    1. Tired of not being able to find a handicap parking space.
    2. Disgusted of drivers illegally parked in a handicap parking space.
    3. Appalled of drivers illegally parked in the striped areas blocking your access to your mobility van's side door and ramp.
    4. Sick of seeing a driver park in a handicap parking space and then physically 'run' into the mall or store especially when you need an oxygen tank.
    Let's hear about your stories, photograph their cars and license plates

deleted

These inconsiderate drivers are breaking the law and it is becoming not just a local problem but a NATIONAL PROBLEM. So Unite Now!

Last edited by Administrator; 07-31-2007 at 12:03 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2007, 11:53 AM   #2
    Samee
    (female)

Samee HB User
    Re: Handicapped Parking Problems

I can understand your frustration over this, but you don't know each person's disability. Though I would question a person who can "run" but still we don't know their disability.

I for one have a handicap parking plate. If you were to meet me, you think, "how is she disabled" Though you can't feel the pain I am in constantly in my legs and left foot. Unless you walked with me for a while then you would see I can't walk for long periods of time with out a big increase in pain levels...
    Plus the one you can't see is, I forget where I park my car because I get confused.

I have ran to my car once, with much regret and I paid for it for days on end with increase pain levels....

So, unless we can gain access to one's medical records I would say your speaking out of frustration but unfairly so.

Those who park in a space that does not have a legal right to do so, report them to the location you are at and have their car towed.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:14 AM   #3
    ICC
    Inactive
    (female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

I have to agree. I have had a hadicapped plate since I first suffered a back injury at age 45. My Dr. filled out all papers with my dx and the State passed it. To look at me you might no think I am disabled but since then have suffered many other disorders that you can't see. I can't run and don't. I have had many older people especially give me a dirty look and then check my plates. It's insulting at times because their assumption is that since I am younger I couldn't possibly be disabled or in pain. I do relate to others parking in hadicapped spots and I have to walk from theother end of the parking lot. I have yet to have any of the 2-3 stores I go to do anything about it.

ICC

Old 07-31-2007, 08:34 PM   #4
    hessie28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

I would like to get a handicapped tag but I feel like people will look at me and say "she is young and looks fine". I know I think it myself. Many times I am dragging my butt across a parking lot in horrible pain and I see someone park in the handicapped spot and run into the store. Then I think to myself am I stupid for not getting a tag. If I had a tag I would only park there when necessary. If there were an empty spot a few away from a handicapped spot I would take it and save the handicapped spot for someone else. My doctor would sign in a minute but I feel funny getting the tag. I think the people you see running in are probably borrowing someone's car and are rude and park there. That is my take. It goes back to a subject on the back forum. Some of us have disabilities that no one can see so people don't believe us.

Last edited by hessie28; 07-31-2007 at 08:36 PM.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:55 AM   #5
    ICC
    Inactive
    (female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

hessie.....I totally understand what you're saying. I know people who borrow there parents plachard to get a good spot. That's just plain lazy and mean. I also have no porblem not using a handicapped spot if there is another close by.

ICC

Old 08-01-2007, 06:52 AM   #6
    tweiler
    (female)

tweiler HB User

Most days my hubby drops me at the front doors and then he goes to find a parking spot. If it ends up not too far away then I walk back out with him but if it is too far for me then he comes back to the front doors to pick me up. Unfortunately, my dr doesn't think I need a handicapped plate.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:10 AM   #7
    HAGFAN
    (male)

HAGFAN HB User

I have and use my blue tag regularly. But remember, this is not a "You are hereby Guaranteed a close parking spot at any store, any ware as long as you have this permit!!" It means if there is a open spot that's close, you can legally park there. I always get dirty looks from older people when I park with my tag, I guess cuz of my age. I just smile and wave, then hobble along my way... :0)

Old 08-03-2007, 04:54 AM   #8
    disabled85
    (female)

disabled85 HB User

I have seen people park in these spaces, who have NOTHING wrong, with no plate, no placard, ect. It really irks me when this happens. For many years I didn't use them, but now I absolutely need to. Or you get those people who park in the "lined-section" where you'd normally unload a wheelchair ... you know, the striped section next to the parking space. Nothing gets done about it, either. The signs boast of fines, penalties, but I've never once seen anyone get one. Why is that??????

Then there are the ones who use the space when there is no handicapped/disabled person in the vehicle, just because it's easier and closer to the door, like ICC mentioned. On a couple of occasions I've said something ... to my dismay. The responses were ugly and idiotic .... like "why don't you mind your own business" and "I have a placard and the right to park here", ect. THere is an ID card issued with the placard ...... THAT person is the ONLY one "authorized" to use the space. If that person IS NOT in that vehicle, the driver has NO right to the space........ seems simple enough. Maybe if more "fines" were dished out, there'd be more respect for the people who REALLY need the space.

dis '85

Closed Thread