It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board

• Medicaid approved but SSD denied

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-02-2008, 03:36 PM   #1
    pjammies
    (female)

pjammies HB User
    Question Medicaid approved but SSD denied

Today my medicaid case was approved but SSD benefits were denied last week. I have the option of appealing, which I am. I'm curious, being that medicaid has claimed me as being disabled, will it be easier to receive approval for SSD benefits on my appeal?

pjammies
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2008, 03:28 AM   #2
    antiquemother2
    (female)

antiquemother2 HB User
    Re: Medicaid approved but SSD denied

Everyone has unique circumstances and it sounds as though you are approved for medicaid based on low income rather than work credits. SSD is based on your total lifetime work credits and not income based, which would be SSI. You need to find out why you weren't approved for SSI - assets to high?

I have spent the last year advocating for my own benefits and my son's benefits. On the first application for my son I hired an attorney thinking it was going to be necessary. He was approved on the initial application and I ended up doing most of the work for the attorney's office. I think they wanted to back burner our case so the time clock would keep ticking and their percentage would be greater.

Shortly after his approval, I was approved for SSDI (did the app myself while the attorney was working on his) and then my son became eligible for SSDI under my own disability coverage.

It's possible to find all the answers you need to get this done. One bit of advice I found extremely helpful was the RFC Form. Get all the doctors on your case to fill one out. You can get that online too - it's their own form. Once your limitations are documented you fit into the grid system and are approved or denied. Even a nice letter from your doctor doesn't carry as much weight as the RFC forms - mental and physical.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:13 PM   #3
    pjammies
    (female)

pjammies HB User

I'm going to contact my caseworker about it but I know it's not because I don't have enough work credits because I've worked all my life as a professional in broadcasting and have had a book published so I believe I've put in plenty of credits.

However, I'm not working now so you may be right about low income. I'll just have to see.

Thank you very much for your response.

pjammies
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:20 PM   #4
    daph10
    (female)

daph10 HB User

Hi my name is DIane and I am from De. I was just turned down last week from ALJ on disability. I have been on medicaid for 2 yrs w/ no problems with them. I had a terrible time with the judge and now am forced to appeal. It has been a very hard road to follow and the judge never even looked at my RFC and TKR info from the drs. So sad about our governemnt and the people who really do need it. Be prepared for a long battle

Old 01-17-2008, 02:29 PM   #5
    bellablue2
    (female)

bellablue2 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daph10 View Post
    Hi my name is DIane and I am from De. I was just turned down last week from ALJ on disability. I have been on medicaid for 2 yrs w/ no problems with them. I had a terrible time with the judge and now am forced to appeal. It has been a very hard road to follow and the judge never even looked at my RFC and TKR info from the drs. So sad about our governemnt and the people who really do need it. Be prepared for a long battle
    Hi Diane: Sorry to hear about the denial. Do I know what your going through. I am waiting to see ALJ, I hope who ever I see is not in a bad mood or something because although it stinks, if their in a bad mood we suffer. Did you bring a lawyer, they say some Judges get pissey if you go it alone, again that stinks. I have had a bad experience with a judge, not for SSD but when a neighbor took me to small claims court. The judge did not even let me say a word. He let the people before us talk on and on about such stupid ****. He realized he was behind and I was the one who suffered. I pray that does not happen to me. BUT you never know.

How long do you have to wait to appeal?

Talk to you soon [I] hope
    Jeane

Closed Thread