It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board

I seem OK till it comes to Adult/Complex Conversations

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-12-2011, 04:48 PM   #16
MrDister78
(male)

MrDister78 HB UserMrDister78 HB UserMrDister78 HB User
Re: I seem OK till it comes to Adult/Complex Conversations

So mscat, thank you very much for the explanation.

Now, since I went to talk to someone about disablity and limitations for work and having problem finding work because of my problems and they talked to me about applying for disability.

I have a few health problems and also my speech problem. But this whole process is seems like a hassle because i heard it might take 1 or 2 years to get approved if you do.. ANd then, they don't consider all to be disabilities.

If mine is basically knee /shoulder/spine problems but I'm not everyday dying. I actually can walk slowly and if i walk carefully i may not have pain at all some days. I would have pain with forcing my self .

And also for my speech impediment, if there's a way for Speech therapy to get me better.. Then, is it even worth applying for disability?

The lady that talked to me said "Can you actually work now?? If not you
shouldn't be on unemployment, you should be on Disablity insurance"

I said that I can't really work but I'm not sure. For example take my last job, could i work in that same kind of work? -->I'm not sure. My job was carrying heavy boxes often and walking long distances often and computer data and going through a ton of paper work all day long. And it was starting to change into more customer service OR at least that's what they wanted to make it into.

So if we take that:
-Heavy boxes= I can't because i got a spine problem now and my chest hurts a lot .Especially when i force myself. I could probly do a box here and there but then it starts hurting. So i'm not sure if i could do it or not.
-Also lifting requires knees and my knees don't work. i can't bend them much
-My shoulders are both messed up from previous SHoulder Rotator cuff injuries
-Going through lot of paperwork with my hands quickly: The boss and coworkers were rushing me saying that i should do it very quickly. My thumbs started hurting very bad from doing that for days and i ended up with permanent thumb damage. In fact my thumbs were hurting very much, the Doctor said i have a weird possibly congenital problem with the way my bones and ligaments and nerves are.
-Customer service: I've tried it failed many times. I always make pronunciation mistakes and confusion. So i mess up many things. That's important so maybe this is not really for me.

But for some reason I dont think they would qualify me as Disabled. Especially since i'm not always in constant pain. At home I can do exercise if i do it in place for example, without much jumping. just light stuff like using resistance band and for the aerobic part, slowly walking in place in slow motion. Somedays the knee doesn't hurt as much so i can walk
but other times it's painful.

. I have a ligament damage in one knee and menicus tear in the other( bad one from turning knee) but i have managed to keep in shape by doing the little exercise i can

. So it doesn't mean i'm healthy, just means i figured out a way to not hurt and do exercise in my own limited style.

And i dont know if they would qualify my speeking for disabity insurance or just say "Just go to Speech therapy you can get better!"

Well i'm gonna discuss what happened today with the other therapist and see what she says.

Last edited by mod85; 10-10-2011 at 05:55 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to MrDister78:
sunni123 (08-13-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2011, 05:19 AM   #17
jgrangran
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

MrDistersoc78. When you go to talk to people about your disability both phycsical and speaking can you maybe take someone with you. Like maybe a family member I know that has helped me because the DR can say one thing and I hear it differelty and take it differently and I have to really think and try to remmber what is being said to me. So I wonder if it would help you to have someone maybe a family member with you. Only you know how this really affects you and your ability to work. but having someone with you that understands you will help alot. I hope I was able to help you some. God Bless you for trying as hard as you have you are strong to have to deal with all of that your whole life.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #18
mscat40
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

It seems that you are a little on the fence with what to do. I think that it will not hurt to apply for benefits .Meanwhile try and get into speech therapy and a complete physical from your MD. If you need second opinions about applying then ask your Dr's. Because your Dr' s will be the ones that will send your medical records to social security , so you will want them to be in aggreement with you. Social Security will look at any other work that you might be able to do despite you conditions. So you might want to keep that in mind. They look at how your conditions affect you everyday and if they are severe enough to keep you from working a SGA. Then social security looks at how long you have had the disabilites and if they are expected to last a year or longer,
you will have to do what is best for you. And what is reccomended by your Dr's.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:09 PM   #19
jgrangran
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

I agree with Mscat40, Please let us all know how things work out for you. there a lot of helpful people on this board. Please keep asking questions and talk to people it helps a lot everyne on this board is very helpful and have you check on the right side of this about systoms there is probly a subject about commucation problems someone there maybe also can help you.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:01 AM   #20
Alexa3
(female)

Alexa3 HB User

I don't have your problem to the extreme, but as far as learning I best learn by doing. Reading directions or having someone explain them to me, not so well. I can have conversations with people in person, but if you put a time table on something that needs to be done forget it. For that reason I've always worked in physical jobs. My last job was a Groundskeeper; I miss it! I'm not on Disability for that problem, but you aren't alone.

Do you like working outdoors? There are many jobs you can do without having to speak much, like those guys that hold the signs on the side of the road to stop traffic. I know there is a name but I can't think of it. Cleaning houses; you may not like the suggestions but that is the kinds of thinks you will get asked.

Good luck!

Old 08-18-2011, 07:07 AM   #21
MrDister78
(male)

Thanks all for the responses.

Yesterday i went for a DEpartmetn of Rehabilitation orientation. ANd guess what? At the end of it, i was totally confused. So i said to the woman(in private) "Sorry but i didn't understand any of what was said" Well i did but not really, i'm still confused about it but i kinda got some of it.

Alexa thanks. yea i'm sure i need to do a job where they dont need great speech.But i need one that pays enough to live, you know. And that still doens't exist. For example why the heck are 10/hr jobs not 15/hr especially since in this economy all prices are going up. So what's they theory behind not raising the salaries and yet raising prices of everything. In my view, 10 should now be 15. 14 should now be 19, etc.

Anyways so what i'm saying is most jobs where youdon't need to talk are usually something like 9/hr or 10/hr. (I know cause i've had plenty of those)
and also usually those jobs want strong able people who can carry boxes, etc. If you've read other of my threads I'm pretty damaged from most body parts.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:21 AM   #22
SpineAZ
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I think a neuropsychological examination and consultation can be a big help to you. They can do tests to pinpoint the type of dysfunction you have. Then perhaps recommend treatment, medications, etc. From what you've said your mental functioning has decreased in quality over the last few years and may have started at a small level of dysfunction you never realized since you are living with it. Feel free to print out this suggestion (or the whole string of posts in this thread) and present it to your primary care physician or any other provider (such as counselor) that you are currently seeing. You're probably unable to express verbally the cognitive difficulties you have.

Yesterday at the Dept of Rehab meeting when you said to the presenter "I didn't understand much of what was said" they can take that as you are at low cognitive functioning ("slow" or "delayed"). But your posts here show you have good intelligence, there's just a cognitive processing disorder and not limited intelligence.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:12 PM   #23
discovery1
(female)

discovery1 HB User

I agree with SpineAZ. My DD is facing a similar issue and is waiting to hear about her disability status when her appeal comes up for consideration.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:40 AM   #24
Alexa3
(female)

Alexa3 HB User

I made $18 an hour, and I didn't have to talk to anyone except the park manager and the residents. But then I don't have near the problem you do. I agree that people should be paid a live-able wage, $10 an hr. isn't nearly enough. But it's more then SSD pays, very few people on disability get a live-able wage, so if I got $10 an hour I'd be happy.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:46 PM   #25
sunni123
Veteran
(female)

sunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB User

That is great that you are hooked up with the Department of Rehabilitation. Once you get a counselor, perhaps you can inquire about DVR reimbursing you for the Speech Therapy. It is good that you explained your difficulty with auditory comprehension; hopefully they will be alerted to the need to find employment for you where you can get written instructions and don't have to speak much to people. From what you describe, applying for disability sounds like a worthwhile route to take too.

The Following User Says Thank You to sunni123 For This Useful Post:
jgrangran (08-21-2011)
Old 08-21-2011, 01:54 PM   #26
mscat40
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

The Voc Rehab in my county only takes clients that have been reffered throught the Regional Center. you may need to check into this. I also think that you write very well. It is the verbal part that is hard for you. I think that going to a speech therapist could help you and Rehab training , but you may need a referral for that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscat40 For This Useful Post:
jgrangran (08-21-2011),sunni123 (09-10-2011)
Old 09-01-2011, 04:42 AM   #27
jgrangran
Senior Veteran
(female)

OMG, I just found out that sunni123 was approved I'm sorry for the late congrats. I have been worrying about you. Take care my dear friend. Good Luck to you always

The Following User Says Thank You to jgrangran For This Useful Post:
sunni123 (09-01-2011)
Old 09-10-2011, 10:35 AM   #28
MrDister78
(male)

HI Guys

im back. I've been doing stuff.
Yesterday i went to my MD Doctor and have him sign my disablitiy sheet.
Not only do i have Speaking problems, i also got a bunch of body problems.
and i can't walk very well.

Then in 1 week from now, i'm getting a Speech assesment done by the speech therapist. THen after i get that i'll sign up for disablity and also get help from some department of ...(i forget what it's called). They will help me find some job i can do.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:56 PM   #29
sunni123
Veteran
(female)

sunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB User

Hi Mrdistersoc78,
It sounds like you are making a lot of progress. Having a Dr backing you for disability is a majorly good thing; some Drs are unwilling to fill out forms for SS, so it sounds like your Dr is a keeper. It is good that you are also pursuing the Voc Rehab route. If you get approved for disability, there are work incentives that can accommodate your desire to work.

The Following User Says Thank You to sunni123 For This Useful Post:
jgrangran (09-10-2011)
Old 09-10-2011, 04:50 PM   #30
mscat40
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDistersoc78 View Post
HI Guys

im back. I've been doing stuff.
Yesterday i went to my MD Doctor and have him sign my disablitiy sheet.
Not only do i have Speaking problems, i also got a bunch of body problems.
and i can't walk very well.

Then in 1 week from now, i'm getting a Speech assesment done by the speech therapist. THen after i get that i'll sign up for disablity and also get help from some department of ...(i forget what it's called). They will help me find some job i can do.
I think you are doing all the right things. I am sorry for what you are going through. Do you have someone helping you fill out the social security papers? That can be really confusing and long. So if you can get assistance that will be very helpful for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to mscat40 For This Useful Post:
jgrangran (09-11-2011)
Closed Thread