It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board

LTD benefit offset

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 68
Katztrou HB UserKatztrou HB User
Question LTD benefit offset

Per my LTD contract, my benefit amont will be reduced by other benefits, including retirement plan (pension in my case) by the employer.

I am filing LTD claim under my current employer's LTD policy, let say XYZ CO. I am currently receiving pension from my previous employer, let say ABC CO. On the LTD claim, I was asked to put a check mark on all other benefits I am receiving. I did not put a check mark on the pension box, my reasoning was that the pension is not from the current employer.

Here is my question. Did I answer the question correctly on the claim form. Could the LTD insurance company reduce my LTD benefit amount with my pension amount from ABC CO?

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 11-14-2011, 09:40 AM   #2
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 68
Katztrou HB UserKatztrou HB User
Re: LTD benefit offset

I received my pension from my previous employer in mid 2009. Then I went to work with my current employer for about 2 years. I apply for LTD with the current employer in mid 2011. Here is the exact quote on the relevant section: (I don't know to post a pdf section, so I just type them in here.
Any LTD benefit will be reduced by
1. ...Social security benefits......
2......Workman's comp
3. Any retirement plan benefits funded by the employer.
End of quote

I think the keywords in item 3 are the words THE EMPLOYER. To me, they mean current employer.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
SpineAZ's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,096
SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: LTD benefit offset

"THE EMPLOYER" refers to the employer under which you receive LTD.

Example, you work for the postal service and retire after 20 yr of service and get an $800/mo pension. Still wanting to work you decide to work for ABC Manufacturing. You work for 5 years during which you are paid your salary while receiving your postal pension. You have a heart attack 3/4/11 and due to heart damage can no longer work. LTD can't offset the postal pension JUST as they don't offset the postal pension from earnings while working.

The provision noted applies to what you receive from the employer under which you receive LTD and only to the extent to which the employer contributed. If you contributed 50% and employer 50% then only 50% of amount can be offset.
Rt thumb fusion '13. R&L thumb arthroplasty '12 ; RT TKR & Bilat CTS' 11. Fusions: L5-S1('87), L4-S1('93), C5-C7('06), L3-S1('10), C4-C5('13). C5-C7 foraminotomy '08

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpineAZ For This Useful Post:
BlueSkies14 (11-14-2011),Katztrou (11-15-2011)
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
SSDI Award and LTD reimbursement. Getting Screwed? jeff216410 Disabilities 12 07-18-2011 09:42 PM
Child Benefit dismama Disabilities 1 07-25-2010 09:59 PM
Need advice RE: SSI offset hugg724 Disabilities 1 07-01-2009 09:09 PM
why cant i receive incapacity benefit dallingtribe Disabilities 1 01-12-2009 12:11 PM
please help! denied incapacity benefit, and cant cope :( minxyvic79 Disabilities 4 12-05-2008 08:31 PM
benefit increase ?? Queenneeee Disabilities 4 11-02-2008 06:45 PM
how do they decide children's benefit amount? abs94 Disabilities 3 11-06-2007 06:05 AM
I have a plan that pays 60% of my income....what about the other 40% mintz Disabilities 42 09-30-2007 06:42 PM
How long between judge decision and benefit letter? charliecat31 Disabilities 4 07-08-2006 07:05 PM
why w/c is offset and annuity is not in SSDI? boaz Disabilities 8 01-16-2004 04:52 PM

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:39 PM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
© 1998-2018 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!