It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board

How Do You Deal with the Negativity?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-18-2013, 03:50 AM   #31
SpineAZ
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: How Do You Deal with the Negativity?

Hi Darydien : I'm sorry you're struggling with all these issues. What diagnoses are you dealing with? Have you found support from people with similar issues here or in local support groups?

I'm 46, went out of work 4 yr ago for a complex array of orthopedic problems I've had since I was about 10. I've had a ton of surgeries and my body, especially my spine, couldn't handle work anymore. Luckily I had employer STD & LTD. Eventually SSDI was approved (SSDI benefits are deducted from LTD).

I have a group of friends who are supportive of my issues and accept me for who I am, we get together monthly (or more often) and they keep me going. I have old friends that have slowly backed away and I accept that. I have a hard time facing never working again. I keep up on my work industry (insurance) to keep my brain active. It also helps that my hubby is fine with me being out of work even though disability income is 50% to 60% of what I could be earning working. He knows some days I can be active and other days I'm in bed all day, and it's unpredictable the.

The biggest thing that's helped me... Our cats! We had 3 and took in 2 more when my FIL died in May. I talk to them, they love to cuddle, etc. Pets bring life, love and vibrancy to the endless days.

Let us know what we can do to help!

Last edited by SpineAZ; 01-18-2013 at 03:55 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #32
SeasideMel
(male)

SeasideMel HB User

I have invisibile disabilities too. People don't see me during my "down time" either, and I feel like none of them truly understand what I go through. I'm sorry you feel down. Maybe if you could join some kind of organization that is compassionate, a church if you feel comfortable.

Old 09-27-2014, 02:56 PM   #33
michmacqueen1
(female)

michmacqueen1 HB User

I understand how you feel but in a different way. I have an illness that has affected me for 20 years. It used to be episodic and manageable. A few years ago it kept getting worse and worse until it became a full blown disability. The worst part is that no doctor has ever been able to figure out exactly what it is and I've seen amazing doctors.

I am 26 years old and having to live with my parents. I haven't lost a job due to the illness but I'm at a time in my life where I'm supposed to be starting my career. Most of the people I know are getting married, having kids, and moving forward in life. I fell like I am standing still. On my really bad days, I lose hope that it will ever get better.

The worst time in my life was about two years ago when my illness was so bad that I could barely get out of bed for 6 months. I was depressed and only going further into the dark places of my mind. It could have been really bad but I started writing to ease the boredom. Since then, I have released three books and I can safely say that they saved me. I found something that I loved and for the first time in a while, it was something I could do without my body failing me. Feeling useless is still the worst part for me, but that became less of a problem when I realized I could still accomplish something. Writing is a hobby, not a career but my generation will be around till we're like 100 so there'll be time to work when I can.

Closed Thread