It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board

A place to hang my Hat

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-31-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
JustDave4now
Veteran
(male)

JustDave4now HB User
A place to hang my Hat

Hello everyone,
New to being disabled, I am struggling through it. I fell on some Ice back in January at work and because of this I lost Partial use of both legs, my right arm and hand. Leaving only my left arm functional.

I was in the hospital for months and months. When I came home it was in a wheel chair. I worked hard and now manage to get by sometimes with my walker and thick metal bracers. My hands all curled up so I leave it in a glove to make it look normal but my arm is all skinny. So you can tell.

I go to pool therapy but the damage is extensive and doctors tell me it will not heal. It is something I have to adjust to. I am on four types of pain medication and it still hurts like blazes.

Before I was injured I was already struggling with Bipolar (heredity) and Vasculitis. A horrible immune disorder that attacks my nerves and gives me terrible tremors when it acts up. I was able to work back then but now, forget it. Some days it's hard enough to shower and make food.

Other days I can do small stuff. If someone brings me out I like to go to the farm and buy some apples or berries. Usually short trips exhaust me. I nap everyday. I cry a lot now, sometimes I don't realize my sadness is showing. My life was totaled in less than ten seconds.

I was approved for SSDI right away, but had to fight for my workman's comp. They tried to denigh the claim right away. That hurt more than the injuries. I was very company proud and walked around saying only good things about who I worked for. They sure abandoned my ship as soon as they saw I was broken. I guess I am expensive to keep now.

The judge ruled in my favor so far, it seems very cut and dry to me. I know they will bring out all their sly tricks to leave me holding the bag of broken bones.

Just trying to adjust. I am married and have one son. Just turned 48 the other day. They help where they can but my wife has her own miseries to contend with and my son gets upset when I ask him too many favors.

Winter is coming up soon. I am terrified. Not sure how I will handle it.

Seems like a good group to lurk and Learn. I can type one handed but my hand gets tired quick. I have been working since I was 16, I never stopped, never had to. I don't watch much TV, but I do read. Depression is kicking my butt, and I am out of energy keeping up with the pain.

Sometimes I go outside into the screened gazebo, that helps a bit. I am under my own power, it's nice not to be pushed in a chair. Though on the bad days I still need that support.

It would be nice to make some new allies in this war to survive the tragedy we find ourselves in.

Dave..

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: JustDave4now
innerspirit (09-10-2013),lenvegas (09-28-2013),Whynowthis (09-07-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
cspineguy
(male)

cspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB User
Re: A place to hang my Hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDave4now View Post
Hello everyone,
New to being disabled, I am struggling through it. I fell on some Ice back in January at work and because of this I lost Partial use of both legs, my right arm and hand. Leaving only my left arm functional.

I was in the hospital for months and months. When I came home it was in a wheel chair. I worked hard and now manage to get by sometimes with my walker and thick metal bracers. My hands all curled up so I leave it in a glove to make it look normal but my arm is all skinny. So you can tell.

I go to pool therapy but the damage is extensive and doctors tell me it will not heal. It is something I have to adjust to. I am on four types of pain medication and it still hurts like blazes.

Before I was injured I was already struggling with Bipolar (heredity) and Vasculitis. A horrible immune disorder that attacks my nerves and gives me terrible tremors when it acts up. I was able to work back then but now, forget it. Some days it's hard enough to shower and make food.

Other days I can do small stuff. If someone brings me out I like to go to the farm and buy some apples or berries. Usually short trips exhaust me. I nap everyday. I cry a lot now, sometimes I don't realize my sadness is showing. My life was totaled in less than ten seconds.

I was approved for SSDI right away, but had to fight for my workman's comp. They tried to denigh the claim right away. That hurt more than the injuries. I was very company proud and walked around saying only good things about who I worked for. They sure abandoned my ship as soon as they saw I was broken. I guess I am expensive to keep now.

The judge ruled in my favor so far, it seems very cut and dry to me. I know they will bring out all their sly tricks to leave me holding the bag of broken bones.

Just trying to adjust. I am married and have one son. Just turned 48 the other day. They help where they can but my wife has her own miseries to contend with and my son gets upset when I ask him too many favors.

Winter is coming up soon. I am terrified. Not sure how I will handle it.

Seems like a good group to lurk and Learn. I can type one handed but my hand gets tired quick. I have been working since I was 16, I never stopped, never had to. I don't watch much TV, but I do read. Depression is kicking my butt, and I am out of energy keeping up with the pain.

Sometimes I go outside into the screened gazebo, that helps a bit. I am under my own power, it's nice not to be pushed in a chair. Though on the bad days I still need that support.

It would be nice to make some new allies in this war to survive the tragedy we find ourselves in.

Dave..
Hi Dave,
So sorry for all you have been though. These boards are a great place to talk with others who are going through similar things and everyone is very caring and compassionate.
Reading your post, I see so many similarities to my own situation. I deal with chronic pain, which I have from failed cervical surgery syndrome. I had a corpectomny and fusion for herniated disks and a bone pressing on my spinal cord. While the surgery was successful and took the pressure off my spinal cord, I was left with pain and nerve damage.
I tired to work, but eventfully it was too much and had to stop. Now I am home all the time. Just doing small things around the house causes pain and I will have to rest and I can only do small trips as driving hurts and I tire easy. This is hard, as I used to love to drive and go on road trips. When I first stated dating my wife, she lived an hour a way and I would travel up their and we would go all over the place. Now if I go to a movie it's a big deal!
I too understand trying to get help. There are chores around the house I need to get help with that I can't do (moving heavy items, general fixing things ect.) that I can't do and don't want my wife to hurt herself. So I have to beg my brother or brother in laws for help! Especially with winter coming, there are things that we need done. I planing bribing with pizza!
Hope things get easier for you and you get some help from your son.
Sorry also to hear you company hasn't been so great to you. So sad when you work for years at a place and they talk about caring about you as an employee, but once you are hurt or sick they don't want to know you.

Take care!

Closed Thread