It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board

Woke up off balance one day & haven't been right since

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-06-2016, 10:00 AM   #1
STAA1990
(male)

STAA1990 HB User
Woke up off balance one day & haven't been right since

Hello,

So last Wednesday/Thursday I woke up and went to get out of bed and I fell back on my butt. I did this two more times. To keep this short, my balance/equilibrium was off. It was almost like I was drunk. This has been ongoing since that day. It's not terrible 24/7, just more like I'm a little buzzed. But sometimes a "wave" will hit me for a split second that gives me nausea and makes me sweat and almost go down. There have been TWO occasions where it got so bad for a few seconds that I had to sit down or I was going to fall down. Sunday I started taking Amoxicillin that I had from a prior infection a few months back. It doesnt seem to be helping. I have no ear pain or prior history of ear issues. I am a fit, young male. I have done my research and found several possible causes but none that fit my story directly. I have an appointment scheduled today at 2:00. But am really nervous about it. Anyone had this issue that has had any resolution?

The following user gives a hug of support to STAA1990:
movielover40 (09-08-2016)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2016, 04:01 PM   #2
STAA1990
(male)

STAA1990 HB User
Re: Woke up off balance one day & haven't been right since

Update. I had a doctor appointment today. Vitals were mostly normal except my systolic BP was 160 (which is irregular for me, normally around 120). Did a series of balance tests that were normal. Ear, nose and throat were normal. Conducted a UA that was normal (slight dehydration). He had no suggestions based off his assessment. Therefore they suggested I get a blood analysis tomorrow morning. Considering he pretty much ruled out all of the small things I'm pretty terrified right now. I'm worried about having something serious or severe. Still, any feedback would be great. and will post my next update asap.

Last edited by STAA1990; 09-06-2016 at 04:02 PM.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:41 PM   #3
STAA1990
(male)

STAA1990 HB User

Blood analysis conducted this morning. Doctor will have results tomorrow. Not sure if anyone is keeping up on this but I rarely see any of these forums with solutions or diagnosis so I'm trying to share my entire story for anyone else who might suffer from the same issues.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:29 AM   #4
wayward1
(female)

wayward1 HB User

I hope you have some resolution soon. my husband is having a similar issue-all tests normal so far. Now being scheduled for an MRI. Seems all test nowadays are iffy!

Good luck!

Old 09-08-2016, 08:42 AM   #5
Ging482
(female)

Ging482 HB User

I am not a doctor, but it sounds like you've ruled out some of the more serious causes. My mother was having issues with dizziness for 2-3 months and went through some of the same tests you are having. They did a CAT scan, blood tests, everything came out negative.
It was a process of elimination to get to a root cause. They thought she might have a condition called "numairs" (spelling might be wrong). Numairs comes and goes and is not life-threatening, but is tough to manage. Did they check on that?
In my mother's case, she was not dizzy laying down. However each time she stood up or walked she was dizzy. Her doctors finally looked at her blood pressure medication and changed that and it seems to have gotten rid of the dizziness. She was also taking a water pill for years which she had stopped taking a few months prior to the onset of dizziness which she has resumed. They even think not taking the water pill may have caused it.
Maybe look at any slight change in any medications you have taken over the last several months. Even "natural" herbs, etc.
Hope you find a resolution soon.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:44 AM   #6
movielover40
Senior Veteran
(male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User

Have you been checked for an inner ear infection?

Old 09-08-2016, 08:57 AM   #7
STAA1990
(male)

STAA1990 HB User

Ginger - My blood test results are supposed to be reviewed today so that will really tell me if the serious stuff is ruled out or not. I couldn't find a word closely related to "numairs" though. However, please keep in mind I am only 26, am very active and health-conscious. So I have tried to rule out age-related conditions.

Movielover - Yes the doctor checked both ears for infection and both were clear. No ear infection.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:26 AM   #8
STAA1990
(male)

STAA1990 HB User

Just got a call for my blood results. Everything is normal. Exception being my cholesterol is 214.
SUMMARY: Everything is normal except my BP is averaging 140/85 (with spikes to 160) and my cholesterol is 214. Keep in mind I am a healthy/active 26 year old male with no prior history of issues. I even count my macronutrients in my diet. I have to monitor my BP for another 5 days and if it remains consistently high, I will have to start medication. CRAZY!

I am considering getting a CT scan conducted to search for clogged arteries. Any thoughts?

Old 09-08-2016, 10:57 AM   #9
Ging482
(female)

Ging482 HB User

I just double checked the spelling and it is Ménière. After reading more of the symptoms, your situation seems different.
I think checking for clogged arteries is a good idea. They did that with my mom, and specifically checked the arteries in her neck. With her CAT scan, it all came out negative.
Your blood results should obviously tell you more. Depending on what is found or not found, your next steps should be more clear.
At 24 years old, my best friend had a cholesterol level in the 200-range. She started taking cholesterol meds too. It happens. She was told there are genetic factors involved.
Stay the course. My question to a doctor would be whether an MRI could determine the same conditions as a CAT scan? If so, would an MRI be a better option so as not to be exposed to unnecessary radiation of a CT? (This is only my question, but I'm sure no worries either way.)

Old 09-08-2016, 11:21 AM   #10
STAA1990
(male)

STAA1990 HB User

If they end up putting me on the BP medicine I will see how my body reacts to that. If I still have the dizziness/vertigo, I will seek an MRI/CT. What scares me most is the sudden "shocks" I get. I'll be ok and suddenly my vision will go dizzy, I'll lose my balance, get nauseous and start sweating. All of a sudden like I'm shocked then go away. This makes me think of diabetic shock or insulin shock. Yet all blood tests are normal. I don't know.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:21 AM   #11
Ging482
(female)

Ging482 HB User

Glad your blood tests came back OK. However, I know that still leaves you searching for answers. I would think the nausea and sweating that accompanies the dizziness would be a trigger for "something" that your body is reacting to like you have stated ... insulin, etc. But of course, that is only my guess. It seems diagnosing the cause of dizziness is done by process of elimination more than anything else.
Thanks for your updates on this board and please post any other updates you are willing to share. Those of us searching for answers will likely find it helpful. In the meantime, know that I'm wishing all the best for you!

Old 09-09-2016, 09:00 AM   #12
STAA1990
(male)

STAA1990 HB User

Thanks for all of the feedback, Ginger. My symptoms have been less severe the past couple of days. I went to the store and bought a lot of fruit, vegetables, super greens, Omega 3 and multivitamins. I'm going to cut out sweet tea and my weekend food binging. Ideally, this will lower my BP naturally over time. Hopefully that is the cause of all of this. I will report back in a few weeks to let everyone know. Hopefully this thread will help others.

Old 09-12-2016, 04:02 PM   #13
STAA1990
(male)

STAA1990 HB User

UPDATE: One week after monitoring my BP I am averaging around 140/85. Doctor told me to go ahead and pick up my BP medicine. Doctor seems to believe everything is revolved around my high BP. Again I am a 26-year old, fit male. Why I have high BP, I don't know. But until I find out otherwise, feel free to assume this is the root of my dizziness/vertigo issues.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:13 AM   #14
Ging482
(female)

Ging482 HB User

Sounds like good news for you, thanks for the post. it seems like blood pressure and associated medications can play a role in dizziness. That seems to also be the case with my mother. I guess this will be something to continue to monitor. Thanks.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:57 PM   #15
STAA1990
(male)

STAA1990 HB User

UPDATE: I have been on BP medicine and living a VERY clean lifestyle for the past 10 days. My BP has gone down slightly but is averaging 136/75. I'm experiencing fatigue, heart flutters, headaches and still minor dizziness that comes in "waves" or "shocks" and the dizziness causes nausea. I called the doc today to report this. After some research, I am concerned I may have a heart issue (vague I know). But as much as I don't want to have to pay for it, I believe the only way I'll feel at ease is if I get a scan of my chest and head to rule out any abnormalities.

The Following User Says Thank You to STAA1990 For This Useful Post:
Ging482 (09-26-2016)
Reply Reply

Tags
dizziness, equilibrium, faint, vertigo