It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board

unbalance dizzy

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-26-2017, 05:57 AM   #1
rumrunner
(male)

rumrunner HB User
unbalance dizzy

Hi All
Had a question to ask to see if someone here may have a answer.I recently had plugged ears with some pain.Went to the Urgent care and they said had fluid behind the eardrum and gave me antibiotic.I really didnt like the bums rush I got there so the following day went to a ENT.He looked inside my ears manually and with all his scopes did a hearing test and pressure test and said NO Fluid no need for antibiotics so he put me a a Medrol pack.Long story short I have unbalance and dizziness when I waks but fine when I sit or lie down.I know you wont be unbalanced when you sit or lie down but the dizziness isnt there either??I acn drive and turn my head any which way and lie down in any position with no problems.When I stand and move there is some unbalance and dizziness?Any input?Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2017, 06:35 PM   #2
cj84
(male)

cj84 HB User
Re: unbalance dizzy

Your case sounds almost identical to mine.

I started struggling with my equilibrium after I went to a party last summer. There was a slip and slide with a big pool at the end and I went head first a handful of times and a couple days later, I noticed I was having some balance problems so I went to my GP to get checked out.

They did an EKG, checked my BP - all the basic stuff. Nothing seemed wrong. They used some sort of instrument to check my ear pressure/check inside my ear and told me I had some fluid in there and that's likely what was causing the issue. So they sent me home with antibiotics and nasal spray.

After my run with the antibiotics, I didn't feel any better. So I went to an ENT - the first time, they cleared out my ears and ran some hearing tests. Said I had some impacted wax in there and scheduled me for more extensive testing a week or two later. My hearing was very, very slightly below average, but nothing concerning or worrisome.

They also had me get a brain MRI to rule out anything more serious - the MRI came back clean.

So, I went back and they had me follow a red dot from left to right, had me lay back and turn my head each way, blew hot/cold air in each ear, asked when my symptoms were magnified, etc. When all was said and done, they told me I had BPPV in my left ear and instructed me to do the Epley maneuver and then do the Cawthorne Balance exercises. They said it might be 6 weeks or so until I really felt normal again.

I did the exercises for a couple of weeks and got to a point where I felt "good enough" and kind of stopped doing them.

Much like you, I really didn't have symptoms when sitting or laying in bed. It was only when I walked around.. I always felt like I was walking on a boat or waterbed. It was very frustrating.

Long story short, my symptoms had dissipated almost entirely after a couple months.

I'd still feel a little off balance now and then when walking around, but it was nothing major and didn't bother me much.

I went a good while like this. However, my symptoms returned a few weeks ago and now I'm sort of back to square one.

I'm trying to do the balance exercises again and take them more seriously so that I can train my brain to compensate and feel more balanced - but it's tough.

I know this doesn't really help you much - but I am going through almost the same exact thing you are. I'd suggest trying the Cawthorne exercises for 15-30 mins a day for a few weeks. If you start to notice some improvement, you're probably on the right track. If not, I'd probably go back to the ENT or consider a Neurologist. (This is pretty much my plan right now)

Hang in there. You're not alone. The more you move around, the quicker you should start to feel better. Don't be afraid to induce the dizziness a bit as long as you're somewhere safe. Avoiding everything that triggers you to feel off balance at all is likely just going to prolong the process.

Best of luck - keep us updated.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:23 AM   #3
rumrunner
(male)

rumrunner HB User

Hey thanks for the reply.I am scheduled to see a neurotalogist next week so well see how it goes.

Old 09-04-2017, 04:17 PM   #4
cj84
(male)

cj84 HB User

Definitely let me know how that goes - I'm interested to see what they tell you since it sounds like our symptoms are very similar.

Reply Reply