It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board

wearing wrong eye contact lenses caused vertigo/dizziness?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-31-2017, 04:16 PM   #1
mm0011
(female)

mm0011 HB User
wearing wrong eye contact lenses caused vertigo/dizziness?

Around September 2016, I started to wear my right eye contact lenses in my left eye. It was probably a stupid decision to do that but I was starting to run out of my left eye lenses and I hadn't made an eye doctor appointment yet to get my prescription refilled. So my right eye contact lens prescription is -3.00 and my left eye prescription is -2.50. So from Sept. 2016-December 2016, I wore -3.00 lenses in both eyes. I didn't have problems in those months but then on december 2nd, I woke up in the middle of the night with dizziness/vertigo..it was like my room was spinning. I have NEVER had this feeling before.
The feeling was gone for the rest of the day. I actual flew to florida on that day and felt fine.
But then the next day, i woke up in the morning and got that dizziness/vertigo feeling again. And the feeling lasted pretty much the whole day. I had to stay in the hotel room because i did not feel well enough to leave.
On that day I told my boyfriend that I have been wearing the wrong power lenses(-3.00) in my left eye. And he said that's what has been causing these dizzy problems. So on that day I went back to wearing the correct lenses (-2.50) in my left eye. So i thought that would fix the problem. I also went to get my prescription refilled at the eye doctor in late December and the prescription stayed the same.

I've also been to primary doctors and cardiologists about the dizziness/vertigo but there was nothing else that they could find that would cause the vertigo/dizziness.
(I also never told the eye doctor and primary doctors that I wore the wrong contacts for a few months..I'm guessing I should have mentioned that to them).

But then 3 months later, in the middle of the night February 28, 2017, i woke up with the dizzy/vertigo feeling again. I don't understand why it happened again since I've been wearing my correct contact lenses.
Is it possible that wearing the wrong lenses for a few months caused permanent damage?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2017, 05:56 PM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: wearing wrong eye contact lenses caused vertigo/dizziness?

Yes you should have mentioned that. I suggest you do that now.

Old 09-04-2017, 01:47 PM   #3
mm0011
(female)

mm0011 HB User

I will be going to a new eye doctor soon so I will mention it to them.
But is there a possibility that wearing the wrong lens did in fact cause the vertigo/dizziness?
Or is that impossible? And it was just a coincidence?

Old 09-05-2017, 04:48 AM   #4
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

It is not at all impossible. You messed with your eyes by putting corrective lenses where they didn't need to be. Your eyes are trying to focus and your brain is trying to actually rewire itself due to not being able to see correctly.

This wasn't a smart move on your part. Contact lenses are very specific based on the need of the eye- by using a much stronger prescription, your eyes tried to overcompensate. Please go back to a good ophthalmologist (not an optometrist) and explain what you did. You may need corrective lenses to undo what you did.

You should not be running out of either eye's contacts if you are using them properly. i.e. changing them when directed by your eye doctor and changing both at the same time. Make sure you discuss this with your eye doctor as well.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:47 PM   #5
mm0011
(female)

mm0011 HB User

Well I asked my optician today about wearing the wrong lens in my eye causing vertigo/dizziness and he said that it wouldn't have caused that. It seems like wearing the wrong lens in an eye wouldn't cause problems like that. He didn't seem concerned about it. He said that vertigo is usually caused by ear issues.

Old 09-12-2017, 11:23 AM   #6
AlexC

AlexC HB User

Did you experience any headaches?

Old 09-12-2017, 04:31 PM   #7
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Are you seeing an optician or an ophthalmologist? The ophthalmologist is a medical doctor and in this case, who you should probably see.

Lots of people have vertigo and it is caused by their eyes. I have had optical neuritis several times, which is inflammation of the optic nerve, and it causes vertigo..

Last edited by MSNik; 09-12-2017 at 04:31 PM.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:06 PM   #8
marymoo
(female)

marymoo HB User

Look up BPPV. You'll get a good idea of what it sounds like you're suffering with and it has nothing to do with your contact lenses. It's an inner ear problem brought on by the dislodging of calcium carbonate crystals that are normally embedded but can dislodge and get into other parts of the ear causing vestibular problems. My doctor explained it to me this way, he said, imagine the crystals in your ears like the undisturbed snow in a snow globe sitting on a table. When you wake up in the morning and move your head its like shaking the snow globe. Then, as time goes on the snow settles at the bottom again, which is just like the crystals settling down and why you feel better as the day goes on. But, the next morning you wake up and shake the snow globe again. There are maneuvers that can be done in a doctor's office to get the crystals back in place.
I would say look for a good ENT who wants to help you get some results, or a Neurotologist. Best of luck to you.

Reply Reply