It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board

• Heat induce BPPV

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-03-2019, 08:27 PM   #1
    Runlong
    (male)

Runlong HB User
    Heat induce BPPV

A few weeks ago I woke up with my first vertigo episode of my life. Everything was spinning and I was nauseous. The doctor diagnosed me with BPPV. I was too sick that day, but the next I did the Eply moves and by the end of the day was 90% better. A couple weeks later (yesterday) I had another episode. After doing the eply a few times I was better by evening. I understand the cause of crystals being in the semicircular canals, but I'm wondering how they dislodge. I think I found the cause of mine, but dont understand the specific cause. The day before both episodes I had done a long run in hot conditions. The other day was 14 miles with a heat index in the mid 90s. I could tell part way through I wasn't used to the heat and slowed down, but I was really feeling the heat by then. I'm wondering how this is connected to bppv. Is it dehydration? Electrolyte imbalance? Body temperature rising? I've even thought maybe the jarring of a sloppy posture. I've run in the heat my whole life (46 years old), but I know that right now I'm not heat acclimated. Shorter, cooler runs lately haven't had this effect. Any thoughts of the exact mechanism that connects heat training to BPPV?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2019, 08:51 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Heat induce BPPV

It's the jarring that dislodges the otoliths from the area where they settle. Once in motion, they float to the area that is closest...usually the posterior canal.

Is it in the same ear? Continue the epley daily. Maybe stop running for a bit or do another type such as walk running?.

q

Old 07-05-2019, 07:06 AM   #3
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Heat induce BPPV

Do you have any type of auto-immune disorder?

I have MS and I am completely heat intolerant... as soon as my body overheats from activity or from the weather- I have the same symptoms.

Try getting in a cold shower as soon as you start to feel this way. Not ice cold- but cool enough to cool down your body temp. See if it helps. If you have access to a swimming pool, that will work too.

I have found that I can prevent this by not overheating. I work out with cooling vest on and a cooling wrap around my neck. I also try to keep my workouts short enough that I can get into the shower afterwards before its too late.

Reply Reply

Tags
    bppv, vertigo

« Vertigo | - »