It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board

• Vertigo/Dizziness - MRI Reveals Acute Sinusitis ?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-06-2004, 11:33 AM   #1
    hottoddy

hottoddy HB User
    Vertigo/Dizziness - MRI Reveals Acute Sinusitis ?

I recently had an MRI for continuous dizziness, a few episodes of full-blow vertigo, "wonky eyes" and a sense of pressure in my head (way back behind my eyes). After going through the GP/ENT channels, they suspected the inner ear (labyrinthitis) or maybe something exotic like MS. Everything turned out fairly normal on the MRI, but they found acute sinusitis of the ethmoid and maxillary passages - some of it way back in there apparantly.

The kicker is there aren't any real symptoms that would make me suspect such a condition. I can breathe and smell just fine, but I always seem to have a touch of congestion due to allergies (maybe I'm just used to it?). There isn't any dripping or massive amounts of mucus production. So, can this indeed be causing my dizziness? Could it have been lurking for many years? Since the some of the sinuses go way back, it may be the source. I was prescribed a course of Biaxin and Guaifenesen (expectorant). As my research states, antibiotics aren't very successful in treating sinusitis. I also bought some generic saline spray for attempted irrigation, but it only seems to penetrate the frontal passages. I'm halfway through the prescriptions, and have felt some slight movement of congestion up there. Are there any treatments, natural or otherwise, that have helped others here? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2004, 11:54 AM   #2
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User
    Re: Vertigo/Dizziness - MRI Reveals Acute Sinusitis ?

I had the exact same thing. Bacterial sinusitis in the maxillary and ethmoid sinuses, with the dizziness and everything. As time went on, more traditional symptoms of a sinus infection developed; chronic congestion, yellow gunk from the nose, headaches, etc.

What to do next depends on what is causing the problem. If the MRI revealed a structural abnormality, such as a deviated septum, bone spur, etc. Your infection will be essentially immune to antibiotics. No air and blood can get into the sinus passage to treat the infection. I went on 14 days of Levaquin. I didn't do a thing. The only way to get rid of this is through surgery -Frontal Endoscopic Nasal Surgery, otherwise known as a BFESS. Nasal airawy reconstruction may also be necessary. I just had this done 3 weeks ago.

If you do NOT have any structural abnormalities, antibiotics may be able to get rid of the infection. The doctor may also prescribe Prednisone.

But the antibiotics and prednisone have serious side-effects. Neuropathy, tendon ruptures, chronic fatigue, etc. Unfortunately, there isn't much else you can do.

Talk more with your ENT, and make sure he is providing you with aggressive treatment. Do some sinus irrigation and stay away from OTC antihistamines.

I wish I could give you better news, but I've been through 5 months of absolute hell with this.

Old 04-06-2004, 12:23 PM   #3
    hottoddy

hottoddy HB User

Thanks. Nothing in my MRI report mentions structural abnormalities (maybe they didn't look for it), but I know that antibiotics are a poor solution no matter what. I'm supposed to be on 1000mg Biaxin (clarithromycin) for a week, but that dose shreds my stomach. The ENT says 500mg for a longer period is ok.

Other than the neurological symptoms, I have no idea how to tell it's cured or not. I guess the doctors will have to re-examine me, but it appears only MRIs/CTs see sinusitis that's deep inside your head. That's not very cost effective !

Last edited by hottoddy; 04-06-2004 at 12:24 PM.

Old 04-06-2004, 12:29 PM   #4
    Blondee15
    Veteran

Blondee15 HB User

I had my first full blown dizziness attack from sinusitis/ETD today. It was pretty scary..I kinda just crumpled on the ground when it first hit me & when I tried 2 get up the second time, everything was shifting & spinning so fast I fell over again..my mom had 2 help me get 2 the couch where I could lay down. My ears & sinuses throbbed, I slept for some time & everytime I woke up I could feel the stuffiness on whatever side I had slept on. It was horrible..just saw my doctor & he thinks sinus infection cuz it's been getting worse over the past week..so i'm supposed 2 take Sudafed every single day & i'm on Levaquin 500mg for the next 10 days. Fun fun...and this is my second sinus infection this year. I know where your coming from on the dizziness..it was really really scary..well hope you get feeling better soon!

Old 04-06-2004, 12:38 PM   #5
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User

I would have the ENT look at the MRI closely, go over it with you, and point out any abnormalities. They can be fixed.

Blondee15: be careful of the Levaquin. I'm having MAJOR problems as a result of going on Levaquin for 14 days and Avelox for 18 (both are in the same family of drugs, which include Cipro). I have carpal tunnel-like symptoms in my hands, so bad I have trouble typing. I also feel it in my feet sometimes, and I've been off the drug for 5 days. It is called "Neuropathy."

Old 04-06-2004, 12:55 PM   #6
    Danitom
    (female)

Danitom HB User

hottoddy- I had an experience with my 11 year old son where he got so dizzy he couldn't keep his balance on his bicycle and on the basketball court he fell-out right in the middle of the game.. I was freaked out......thought he had a brain tumor or something but no, he has chronic sinusitis in his maxillary sinuses. He was put on antibiotics and a nose spray(nasocort) and zyrtec. The antibiotic did help but he had to stay on it for 45 days to clear up his sinus cavities COMPLETELY. That was about two years ago and we haven't had another BAD episode since then. Just a little flare up that requires only a 10 day antibiotic. The thing is it is important to get it ALL CLEAR! His doctor actually did CT scans to check his progress and continued to treat untiol all the inflammation and congestion was gone. So, it is my personal experience that the antibiotics DO WORK..........just that it took awhile to be 100%.

Old 04-06-2004, 05:52 PM   #7
    Blondee15
    Veteran

Blondee15 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chiggins1066
    I would have the ENT look at the MRI closely, go over it with you, and point out any abnormalities. They can be fixed.

Blondee15: be careful of the Levaquin. I'm having MAJOR problems as a result of going on Levaquin for 14 days and Avelox for 18 (both are in the same family of drugs, which include Cipro). I have carpal tunnel-like symptoms in my hands, so bad I have trouble typing. I also feel it in my feet sometimes, and I've been off the drug for 5 days. It is called "Neuropathy."
    I don't take well to Levaquin I know that, but they were samples given to me so it just worked out that way..it's only 10 days..i'm getting used 2 medicine makin me weird lol..I've taken it before for 3 weeks at a time so I don't think it has that bad of effects on me.
    By the way chiggins have you ever taken Astelin? My doctor told me that's what we'll try if the antibiotics don't do anything..i'm curious about it cuz i've heard of it, but i've never heard any good things about it & he said most people don't like it cuz of it's bad taste.

Old 04-06-2004, 07:16 PM   #8
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User

I did take Astelin, and it worked pretty well. It was one of the more effective medications, and it has few (if any) side effects. I still have a bunch on hand if necessary.

Old 04-07-2004, 12:08 PM   #9
    singer1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

singer1 HB User

Has anyone ever been on Z PaK? If so, did you tolorate it?

Old 04-07-2004, 12:20 PM   #10
    Danitom
    (female)

Danitom HB User

I have personally taken z-pack and so have ALL of my kids(not ALL for sinus infections though) and none of us had any trouble with it. The last time my youngest got it, it was only ONE for THREE days versus the other times we have had to take two the first day and then one for the next 3 or 4 (can't remember) days. Have you had problems with it?

Old 04-07-2004, 12:41 PM   #11
    Blondee15
    Veteran

Blondee15 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by singer1
    Has anyone ever been on Z PaK? If so, did you tolorate it?
    Yup yup..I didn't tolerate it too well, it irritated my stomach. I took it 4 bronchitis & it did it's job but it made me a little sick along the way.

Old 04-07-2004, 06:13 PM   #12
    singer1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

singer1 HB User

Did you have like stomach "pains" with the Z-Pac? I think that's what I am experiencing. Did you stay on the medication?

Old 04-07-2004, 07:50 PM   #13
    kami-girl

kami-girl HB User

This is a very interesting post. Is it possible to have a sinus infection for years? I have had symptoms like hottoddy for some time now and have been treated for TMJD for the past 9 mos with no improvement. (I read somewhere that allergies and tmjd can have similar symptoms.) I have never had a CT or MRI on sinus's, just X-rays. I wonder if I should try to pursue that? I was told many years ago that I do have a deviated septum. Any suggestions?

Old 04-07-2004, 08:15 PM   #14
    Blondee15
    Veteran

Blondee15 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by singer1
    Did you have like stomach "pains" with the Z-Pac? I think that's what I am experiencing. Did you stay on the medication?
    yes I did..it's only 5 days after all...and all the pains subsided when I stopped.

Last edited by Blondee15; 04-07-2004 at 08:16 PM.

Old 04-08-2004, 08:23 AM   #15
    Danitom
    (female)

Danitom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kami-girl
    This is a very interesting post. Is it possible to have a sinus infection for years? I have had symptoms like hottoddy for some time now and have been treated for TMJD for the past 9 mos with no improvement. (I read somewhere that allergies and tmjd can have similar symptoms.) I have never had a CT or MRI on sinus's, just X-rays. I wonder if I should try to pursue that? I was told many years ago that I do have a deviated septum. Any suggestions?

I would definitly ask for a CT scan. Even when my son was so bad the x-rays showed very little but thankfully his doc went more by his sympotms and went the extra mile and ordered a CT scan.

Closed Thread