It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board

• Amusement ride, vertigo?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-10-2007, 02:22 PM   #1
    glenn29
    (male)

glenn29 HB User
    Amusement ride, vertigo?

Hello all, I'm new to these boards, I've been reading a lot and wanted to share my recent story and see if anybody had any insight or advice.

I'm a fairly healthy 40 year old male, some allergy issues and some sinus issues, no prior head trauma and no ear or hearing problems in my history.

I went to a local fair (Ulster County, NY) and went on a ride, I believe it's called the centrefuge (or somehting similar). The basic premis of the ride is that you walk into a round room (inside) with an operator in the middle. You stand against the wall and the ride begins to spin, it spins so fast that you basically stick to the wall, effecting gravity I guess. Some details of my ride include the fact that inside it was well over 100 degrees (it was over 90 outside and much hotter inside this ride). About half way through the ride I felt like we turned upside down, however this ride does not rise or move that way at all, just spins, so this was a very odd feeling.

As soon as I got off the ride I was drenched with sweat and couldn't walk straight. I didn't think much of this as it was hot and I had just been spun around, after about 10 minutes though I knew something was wrong. The world was basically spinning around me, things that weren't moving appeared to move to me, I couldn't walk a straight line (felt like I was very drunk). I got home and immedialty went to sleep (I never nap so this was very unusual). I woke up about 3 hours later and still was spinning, napped again for about 2 hours, woke up and was the same. I called a friend who took me to the emergency room. They didn't do much at the Emergency room, gave me a CT Scan to make sure I had no bleeding on the brain and gave me a prescription for Meclizine (25mg 3x a day).

I called my primary doctor the next day, they didn't seem too concerned and gave me an appointment 7 days ahead. I called my ENT and he sent me for an inner ear audiology test 5 days later (that was today, showed a little low tone lose in my right ear, but nothing extraordinary). I also saw a chiropractor who gave me an adjustment and some exercises which I have also found on this board.

I have been taking the Meclizine since last Sunday (it's now Friday). At this point I'm not sure if the dizziness, lightheadedness I'm feeling now is from the incident or from the medicine. I just skipped a dose and think I'm going to go the night and see how I feel, unless of course the room spinning comes back strong again.

My initial symptons included nassua and everything spinning rapidly. Now I have no nassua and I just have a feeling of being kind of spacey and lightheaded, also with some fatigue.

Sorry for the length of this post, wanted to get as much info as possible. I do see my primary physician on Monday and wanted to see if anyone had some things I should ask about, or even insist on. Any adivce or similar stories would be greatly appreciated. I play a lot of sports and would hate to have to give them all up because of balance issues.

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2007, 02:46 PM   #2
    Joni9921
    Veteran
    (female)

Joni9921 HB UserJoni9921 HB User
    Re: Amusement ride, vertigo?

One thought is to not stay on the meclizine if you don't need it. It is a vestibular supressant and so it slows down the process of your system compensating for what happened. Most likely your body will put itself back together pretty quickly. The exercises you got and that are on here should help speed things up for you. I hope its a quick recovery!
    Joni

Old 08-10-2007, 04:50 PM   #3
    Subs30
    Inactive
    (male)

Subs30 HB UserSubs30 HB User
    Talking Re: Amusement ride, vertigo?

Hi Glenn

..."if anyone had some things I should ask about, or even insist on."...

If u look over the OTONEUROLOGY QUESTIONNAIRE:

...."1. Present Illness I am here because of (circle all that apply)

Dizziness

Imbalance

Hearing Problem".......

located at: (pdf document)

[url]http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/practice/questcdb2005.pdf[/url]

From one of the Centers of Excellence in this area---Northwestern Univ Dr Hain's web site(located in "Sticky"--1st post on board)

U can get an idea of what kind of QUESTIONNAIRE u would be filling out if u were going to see the medical folks at Northwestern Univ---from that(8 pages)---u should be able to put together:

" what to ask the Doc", and

"what to insist on" from them....

Last edited by Subs30; 08-10-2007 at 04:51 PM.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:09 AM   #4
    glenn29
    (male)

glenn29 HB User
    Re: Amusement ride, vertigo?

Thanks for the replies Joni and Subs.

LIke I stated earlier my last dose of Meclizine was yesterday morning. When I woke up this morning my fatigue was lessoned, if not gone altogether. I also don't feel quite as lightheaded. I'm still not 100%, althought it's very hard to describe what I'm feeling, I'll have to reference the link Subs sent to see if I can get some wording to desribe what's going on, it's so much better then I was a week ago though, and even much better then I was yesterday on the meds.

thanks again, Glenn29

Closed Thread