It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board

• Off-balance... dizziness/vertigo? I don't know!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-19-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
    AreKayEl
    (male)

AreKayEl HB User
    Off-balance... dizziness/vertigo? I don't know!

Hey all, 29 year old male here.

About two months ago, I suddenly started to have this disturbing feeling of being off-balance. Almost like a slow-motion type feeling, with some "flu like symptoms" thrown in. It's hard to walk straight. Even when I am sitting, I feel it. I just turn my head, and feel vertigo. To me, it feels like putting on a pair of eye glasses that is not your prescription, or having your glasses get bent and having to adjust to the new feeling. I nearly went to the ER several times, but I never did. I had this feeling for about 10 days. It finally subsided over the last few days that I felt like this until I finally felt normal again. I felt so relieved when I felt normal again!

I went to the doctor. He checked me out. My ears and nose were OK. He said maybe I had a viral infection, of course I did not agree. I had no other issues with sore throat, headache, or nasal congestion, or anything like that. Just this weird off-balance feeling. He took my blood. My blood results came back good, except that my Thyroid was low. He said maybe this could be why I felt like this. I did not agree, because by time I started to take the thyroid pill, I had already felt normal. But I decided to take the pill regardless.

Here I am 6 weeks later, and now I feel this way again! I even recall when it started. I was just up and about doing stuff around the house a few days ago, getting ready for work, and it started up again.

Anyone have an idea of what the hell is going on, or have something similar? I am wondering if my next step is to get an MRI on my brain! I fear for something like brain cancer or tumor. I am quite the hypochondriac!

It just seems odd that it would go away and then come by 6 weeks later. I hoped that it was just a fluke, but apparently it is not.

Last edited by AreKayEl; 04-19-2013 at 07:11 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2013, 10:33 PM   #2
    itburns2004
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

itburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB User
    Viral labrynthitis? They have physical therapy places for vertigo and balance. You would need to ask your doctor. They will test and work with you and hopefully retrain your brain. I would get the mri done and be sure nothing wrong first.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:42 AM   #3
    AreKayEl
    (male)

AreKayEl HB User
    Re: Off-balance... dizziness/vertigo? I don't know!

Yes.. I forgot to mention that my physician said it could be a case of labrynthitis. He prescribed me some Valium. Honestly I thought it made me feel worse. I guess if it is labrynthitis, I don't understand why it would go away, and then come back 6 weeks later. Unless that is common.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #4
    requin
    (female)

requin HB User

Valium makes my dizziness and vertigo worse, too. In fact I think it might have been the culprit to bring on my last attack which started 4/30/13 and I still have. No more valium for me!!

Yes labryinthitis can recurr. I had it from June, 2012 to Oct, 2012 when it abruptly stopped. I was symptom-free until 4/30/13.

I've done alot of reading and research online and found things to help.

Try avoiding caffeine and alcohol, and limit salt as much as possible. I also take an "Airborne" knock off a few times a day (it has B vitamins, zinc, etc). I am eating a lot of kale and spinach and trying to avoid heavy greasy, salty food. Get exercise if you can--I bike ride daily when I can.

Also start doing VRT (look it up) exercises. I try to do some at least once a day, more often is better.

And RELAX. Try deep breathing exercises and focus on the positive. Stress and anxiety add to this problem immensely so it's important to stay positive and as stress-free as you can.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:57 PM   #5
    AreKayEl
    (male)

AreKayEl HB User

Thanks for the response. I will give VRT exercises a try.

I still feel the same way since I last posted this subject. Some days are worse than others. It seems to typically get worse as the day goes on or the more active I am.

After taking the thyroid meds for 6 weeks, I got my bloodwork done again for a follow up. My thyroid is back in spec, but I quit taking the pill because it is not the cause. The Doc said to come back if I still feel the same, and since I do, I am going back in to see my physician.

I am actually beginning to think this could be heart related. Your advice to exercise more would actually make me feel far worse, if not make me faint! The reason is...

I have started to realize that it worsens the more active I am. If I am out and about walking more or doing stuff around the house, it starts to really kick in and make me feel terrible... almost a nauseous feeling to going along with it. I feel this way right now...

I have not been a very active person in my 20's. I finally joined a gym last late summer/early fall, and went to the gym (1-2 times a week, not much I know, but better than nothing). I mostly did the elliptical...

I am starting to wonder about a possible root cause of how it all started...

I recently remembered that a few days before all of this started to happen, I decided to change it up from the elliptical and run the treadmill. After about 10 minutes, I got off... and I felt awful! I felt extremely dizzy and faint. After an hour I finally calmed down and felt normal... it was a few days later when all of this started. I have only exercised a few times since this incident... and I have not exercised once since it all started up again. I have felt too bad to exercise. All those machines say that you should contact a physician if you feel dizzy... I did mention this to the Doc, but he didn't seem to think that was it.. but next visit, I am thinking that I need to have my heart looked into.

This could be just a coincidence, but considering that I seem to feel worse after being somewhat active.. I am beginning to wonder if it is a heart thing.

Thoughts anyone?

Last edited by Administrator; 05-07-2013 at 02:38 AM.

Closed Thread