It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board

• 24/7 dizziness for 3 months. Need input PLEASE!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-03-2015, 12:00 PM   #1
    XUM09
    (female)

XUM09 HB User
    24/7 dizziness for 3 months. Need input PLEASE!

I have been reading everyone's posts for the last three months religiously in hopes to find out what is wrong with me. I would spent hours and hours every night on my couch dibilitated searching the internet with my symptoms.

I am a 27 year old female. I went to work on the morning of October 7 feeling a little funky. I thought I was getting the flu. By noon I felt mildly dizzy. I left work. I felt weird the next few days, but by weekend I was ok. Then bam, exactly a week later everything bounced as I walked, pounding headaches, feeling like I was gonna faint. It was scaring the hell out of me. I live out of network from my insurance so I visited urgent care. He said it was positional vertigo and sent me on my way. I had no idea what that meant so I did all the research. Few. It only lasted a few weeks. Wrong. It was not improving. I went back to urgent care. He gave me amoxicillin to see if it was bacterial. I had an allergic reaction to the medicine which made my rocking sensation flare out of control. I couldn't even walk. The next week I went to the ER. They did CT, blood work, EKG, the Works. And nothing. Doctor said I have "dizziness" and tried the epley manuever. Didn't work. I then traveled home to where my insurance was to see my doctor. She said possibly Ménière's. Nope. I went to an ENT and he ruled out my ears as the culprit. I passed the hearing test and exam. I had an MRI w/ contrast done looking for MS. Nope. That was the last thing done.

Now I have it narrowed down to migraine associated vertigo or allergies. I had a severe reaction to Splenda one day where i couldn't walk and my vision was all distorted. Also I just recently suspected mold in my apartment so I'm having a allergist appointment in a few weeks. I've never had a migraine in my life. I tried diet changes, but I'm beginning to feel that's all in my head for what "triggers" the dizzy spells because it's constant. My OBGYN said my symptoms would worsen around my period which I don't think they do. What is going on??? Everyone around me doesn't understand the magnitude of how horrible and disabling this is. I have brain fog, loss of memory, difficulty concentrating. I am a therapist so I know it's not a mental disorder. Help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2015, 02:12 PM   #2
    Sixofspades
    (male)

Sixofspades HB UserSixofspades HB UserSixofspades HB User
    Re: 24/7 dizziness for 3 months. Need input PLEASE!

Wow, that sounds so much like my own story. I randomly felt a bit spaced out one evening in June last year, and a few days later had the worst headaches I've ever experienced. Since then a kind of non-stop floaty, bouncy, off-legs feeling. I wish I could offer hope or advice, but I'm in exactly the same situation and still not really much better. Fluorescent lights and loud noises seem to make it worse. Getting others to understand how impaired you feel is the hardest part, and mourning the loss of what you used to be able to do.

I just keep researching, and like you, hoping I'll find something on the internet one day as I have been feverishly searching for over 6 months now. The only thing that's given me any comfort is finding out the tests are all negative, as they appear to be in your case. So I guess all we can do is just keep on looking for answers, and hoping we find doctors who have experience with this kind of thing. Stay strong.

Last edited by Sixofspades; 01-03-2015 at 02:17 PM.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:23 PM   #3
    XUM09
    (female)

XUM09 HB User

Thank you for your response!!! Yes! I miss my life SO much! I used to be very active --working out at least three Days a week. I have worked out or should I say attempt to work out once. My head was bouncing all over. It can't take much movement or vibration. Actually had to stop using electric toothbrush haha. Forgot to mention I tried Meclizine and prednisone. Both didn't change anything. This is so frustrating!

Old 01-04-2015, 05:46 PM   #4
    Moo9871
    (female)

Moo9871 HB User

I can totally empathize with you! Many of the same symptoms and after 1000's spent on test etc. it is MAV (migraine associated vertigo). It is hard to think of this diagnosis without being payed out in bed with a headache! I am greatly affected by stress, lack of sleep, and getting over hungry. I can also say that this has caused me great anxiety which can also cause dizziness.
    Has anyone suggested Amitriptyline, propranolol, or verapamil?

Old 01-04-2015, 08:17 PM   #5
    XUM09
    (female)

XUM09 HB User

Thanks for responding! No, none of the doctors have put me on anything besides meclizine and the steroid. I mentioned MAV to my PCP and she basically laughed in my face. She said I would have facial pain (which I dont) and a history of migraines. Migraines run in my family pretty significantly. Stress DEFINITELY flares the dizziness. I am drowning in my life right now. I work part time, intern, and am a full time graduate student. It's impossible to manage stress, but I have tried. I just want it to end. It's extremely depressing. What medicines are you on??? Do they work? How is your dizziness?

Old 01-05-2015, 07:27 PM   #6
    Moo9871
    (female)

Moo9871 HB User

I am currently on Verapamil. I have not ever had a history of migraines either but family history speaks volumes! You need a neurologist as they are the ones well versed in this diagnosis. I am much better then I was. I still get "off" and have noticed it is really increased with stress, lack of sleep, or fatigue. This has caused me anxiety which can make it a viscous cycle.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:08 PM   #7
    XUM09
    (female)

XUM09 HB User

Yes I am seeing one next Friday, finally!.I hope I don't get a dud and actually listen to my symptoms. I am sick of being sick. I bet you know that feeling all too well. Friends and family saying "but you look ok!" And work definitely not understanding. I just want a correct diagnosis and given medication to begin. I've tried diet changes, vitamins, and reducing drastically what I do on a daily basis and nothing works to rid of it or reduce it. You said it though. If you don't get enough sleep.. It's hell.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:41 PM   #8
    Moo9871
    (female)

Moo9871 HB User

Best of luck to you! Let me know how your Appt goes

Old 02-08-2015, 12:58 PM   #9
    skipster1
    (male)

skipster1 HB User

I too am suffering in the same manner, for 10 months now and I am not able to work. All of the tests and meds everyone above mention with no help, including a low sodium diet for about a month. I find it surprising how many people have this condition!

Old 02-08-2015, 07:00 PM   #10
    Moo9871
    (female)

Moo9871 HB User

I have had many of the same symptoms and have gone through tons and tons of testing. I feel like I am finally getting help through light massage, gentle chiropractor, & started Zoloft for the anxiety it caused!

Old 02-09-2015, 02:08 PM   #11
    Arggg
    Inactive
    (female)

Arggg HB UserArggg HB UserArggg HB User

I had the same problem, plus fever and infection, for at least a year. I don't think mine had the same cause as yours, because my ears were the main culprit.

Here's what I did to eliminate dizziness. It worked for me, and I hope it helps you too:

1. Eliminate dairy products, especially milk and ice cream. You might eliminate ALL of them at first, then gradually add yogurt and butter back in if you can tolerate them.

2. Eliminate fruit juice, even the natural stuff. It can cause congestion. Don't eat or drink anything cold - it causes congestion in your sinuses.

3. Eliminate sweets, especially chocolate.

4. Take a high dose of Vitamin C. I don't know why this worked so well for me, but it did.

5. Drink plain water as your drink of choice, not chilled or iced. Otherwise, don't drink anything except hot tea or coffee. No cocoa!

6. I was diagnosed once with benign positional vertigo. They gave me an exercise for it. It was different from the ear infection dizziness because it came on all of a sudden instead of being constant. If you experience sudden dizziness, look up BPV and exercises to counteract it.

7. Keep your salt intake down. That can aggravate dizziness if fluid builds up in your middle ear.

8. It's not in your head, believe me. That's what some doctors say (or lead you to believe) when they don't know what the @#$# is going on.

I used to have migraines too, until I stopped eating chocolate.

Last edited by Arggg; 02-09-2015 at 02:10 PM.

Old 02-19-2015, 02:30 PM   #12
    MudbloodMama
    (female)

MudbloodMama HB User

Oh my god! I feel you!!!! I have had this lightheaded awful feeling with dizziness, which then causes panic. I have no normalcy anymore... I'm so sad! I have an almost 3 year old and I feel so horrible that I feel so sick I don't want to do anything. I have seen every doctor I could think of!

Old 04-13-2015, 09:02 PM   #13
    XUM09
    (female)

XUM09 HB User

I havent been back on here in three months so I thought I would update. No changes since January. Six months feeling like this. The neurologist thinks it might be MAV, but he isn't really sure. I've been on 500 mg of magnesium and 400 mg riboflavin since Feb 20. I saw a slight initial improvement in the brain fog. Light headedness and clogged ears are still here. I had more blood tests done, but nothing was found. I was told to have caffeine to improve my nerves. I'm so sick of dealing with this. It has ruined my last year of graduate school and my ability to work.

The following user gives a hug of support to XUM09:
    Sixofspades (04-15-2015)
    Old 04-19-2015, 04:00 PM   #14
    MiserablyDizzy
    (female)

MiserablyDizzy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by XUM09 View Post
    I have been reading everyone's posts for the last three months religiously in hopes to find out what is wrong with me. I would spent hours and hours every night on my couch dibilitated searching the internet with my symptoms.

I am a 27 year old female. I went to work on the morning of October 7 feeling a little funky. I thought I was getting the flu. By noon I felt mildly dizzy. I left work. I felt weird the next few days, but by weekend I was ok. Then bam, exactly a week later everything bounced as I walked, pounding headaches, feeling like I was gonna faint. It was scaring the hell out of me. I live out of network from my insurance so I visited urgent care. He said it was positional vertigo and sent me on my way. I had no idea what that meant so I did all the research. Few. It only lasted a few weeks. Wrong. It was not improving. I went back to urgent care. He gave me amoxicillin to see if it was bacterial. I had an allergic reaction to the medicine which made my rocking sensation flare out of control. I couldn't even walk. The next week I went to the ER. They did CT, blood work, EKG, the Works. And nothing. Doctor said I have "dizziness" and tried the epley manuever. Didn't work. I then traveled home to where my insurance was to see my doctor. She said possibly Ménière's. Nope. I went to an ENT and he ruled out my ears as the culprit. I passed the hearing test and exam. I had an MRI w/ contrast done looking for MS. Nope. That was the last thing done.

Now I have it narrowed down to migraine associated vertigo or allergies. I had a severe reaction to Splenda one day where i couldn't walk and my vision was all distorted. Also I just recently suspected mold in my apartment so I'm having a allergist appointment in a few weeks. I've never had a migraine in my life. I tried diet changes, but I'm beginning to feel that's all in my head for what "triggers" the dizzy spells because it's constant. My OBGYN said my symptoms would worsen around my period which I don't think they do. What is going on??? Everyone around me doesn't understand the magnitude of how horrible and disabling this is. I have brain fog, loss of memory, difficulty concentrating. I am a therapist so I know it's not a mental disorder. Help!
    Been suffering from 24/7 vertigo for 6 months now it's a terrible way to live and very scary to feel like this and go undiagnosed I just had an ENT rule out my ears and I am waiting to have an MRI they said it can take 3 weeks to schedule and I'm worrying myself sick reading stuff online in the meantime

Old 04-19-2015, 04:46 PM   #15
    XUM09
    (female)

XUM09 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MiserablyDizzy View Post
    Been suffering from 24/7 vertigo for 6 months now it's a terrible way to live and very scary to feel like this and go undiagnosed I just had an ENT rule out my ears and I am waiting to have an MRI they said it can take 3 weeks to schedule and I'm worrying myself sick reading stuff online in the meantime
    It is a horrible feeling. Hopefully they find something in your MRI. I had mine at about the 3 month mark. I just had my 6 month anniversary with this stuff. I am waiting to have more free time soon to get a third opinion.

Closed Thread