It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board

23 year old with Down syndrome over eating & sneaking food!

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-30-2016, 12:42 PM   #1
Roxanne3791
(female)

Roxanne3791 HB User
23 year old with Down syndrome over eating & sneaking food!

My 23 year old sister has been over weight since she was a teenager. She has over eaten for as long as I can remember, but it just started to be a problem where she sneaks food all night long. She knows how to use the microwave so she would just cook anything she wanted from the fridge or freezer. So we got rid of the microwave thinking it would help since we can't get rid of all the food. It didn't, she will eat things cold. Leftover dinner, packs of tortillas, literally anything, cold or not. Unfortunately she's not eating the raw carrots or broccoli that's in there. Those she will leave. She's under 5 foot and 190 pounds. It's really scary. Any ideas on what can be done? Anyone with similar experiences?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2016, 01:15 PM   #2
justme
(female)

justme HB User
Re: 23 year old with Down syndrome over eating & sneaking food!

I would check with her Primary Care Physician and see about starting a diet and some moderate exercise. Teach her about healthy foods and exercise, but make it fun. Another option would be to see about starting therapy with a Mental Health Practitioner that would address the overeating and maybe other underlying issues that are causing the overeating.

Good luck!

Last edited by Administrator; 03-30-2016 at 04:21 PM.

Old 04-18-2016, 12:21 PM   #3
mgohlike
(female)

mgohlike HB User
Re: 23 year old with Down syndrome over eating & sneaking food!

My sister moved in with me when our mother died 25 years ago. She used to sneak food and hide things. I am not sure why. I think that just might be a Down's tendency. I guess she thinks she has to hide things if she thinks I won't approve.

Reply Reply