It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board

Is there a reason to get tested for Down syndrome?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-20-2016, 11:54 AM   #1
Justamber
(female)

Justamber HB User
Is there a reason to get tested for Down syndrome?

My son is 2 months old and I'm pretty convinced he has a mild form of Down syndrome. I've done lots of research and he has some of the charecteristics but doesn't look like a typical downs baby. He has large spacing between his first two toes, almond eyes, slow reflexes (slow reflexes in his feet and no grasp reflex since birth) and a weak cry. But he is strong, he's been holding his head up since about a month and can stand on his own weight when we hold his hands and holds his head up pretty good when he's on his tummy. So far I've seen no developmental delays(it's our 4th kid). I've asked the doctor and he doesn't seem to concerned and suggested I wait until 18mths or so to do testing to see if there are delays. But here's my question... What's the point of knowing? Is there a reason we should find out? I know that with mosaic downs there's a lot of children high functioning and some who didn't even know until they were much older or found out by accident and had no idea. Just wondering if I should forget about it or if there was a real point in finding out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2016, 12:38 PM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Is there a reason to get tested for Down syndrome?

There are certain health issues that can be attached to Down so, yes, I think it is wise to have the testing. Then you and your child can be prepared for what may come. They've come a long way in treating these conditions but it is best to know.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:58 PM   #3
Justamber
(female)

Justamber HB User

Thanks for your reply. Do you think it's okay to wait until the 18mth mark or should I push the pediatrician to do it sooner?

Old 08-21-2016, 04:55 AM   #4
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I don't know that I would push right now but I'd certainly be observant and push for it if things keeping trending in that direction in the coming months.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:48 AM   #5
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

I agree to do the testing now so you know......you will always be wondering with emotions and thoughts cycling. The more knowledge the better. If it's not Down's then what could mimic the physical features. It could just be mild physical manifestations during development that have no chromosonal connection.

q

Old 09-12-2016, 10:47 PM   #6
kanded
(female)

kanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB User

I agree with you, if it is Downs you want to jump on it right away...therapies and all. Children with Downs that receive early intervention (therapies,testing etc.) have a much better chance to develop their skills than children that don't.
If its making you crazy, by all means do the testing. Hopefully its nothing. But if it is a chromosomal delay, you can find out and deal with it. It doesn't need to become the focal point of your life though, especially if he has a mild case anyway.

Reply Reply