It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board

• Anxiety Medication for Son with Down Syndrome

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-19-2017, 06:24 PM   #1
    abird
    (female)

abird HB User
    Question Anxiety Medication for Son with Down Syndrome

My son is 27 and lives with Down Syndrome. He has moments of anger when things don't go his way. He has an active life and verbalizes how he feels. He knows that when he gets angry and hits he is wrong. He apologies when he calms down. He is taking Lexapro for anxiety. Does anyone have any suggestions for other medications I can look at that have been helpful for people with DS? Thank you!

Last edited by abird; 04-19-2017 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Correct title

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2017, 10:39 AM   #2
    Rosei123
    (female)

Rosei123 HB User
    Re: Anxiety Medication for Son with Down Syndrome

I've heard good things about Abilify. It gave my sister urinary incontinence when we tried it unfortunately, but it has worked well for many of her down syndrome adult friends and they haven't gotten any side effects like she did.

Old 10-06-2017, 10:44 AM   #3
    MomOfDownsAutis
    (female)

MomOfDownsAutis HB User
    Re: Anxiety Medication for Son with Down Syndrome

Please be careful with anxiety and antipsychotic medications! My 24 year old son was on them for more than half of his life and now suffers from Dysphagia (trouble swallowing) especially liquids and I've been told that a feeding tube may be in his future. We are starting swallowing therapy today for the next 8 weeks and I pray it helps!
    He has been on many different meds for aggression and insomnia, he took Abilify for about 4 years and thats when he started choking on food and vomited almost everyday. It also caused Ocular Crisis (uncontrollable eye disorder) and Tardive Dyskinesia which seemed to go away after stopping Abilify.
    Zyprexa was the next medication he took off and on for the next 10 years until he started choking and aspirating on liquids earlier this year, causing pneumonia several times so I stopped all meds in May but he's still suffering from Dysphagia and Tardive Dyskinesia. It got worse when we tried Latuda while searching for a medication that did not have those side effects so now he is off all meds.
    Please be careful with anxiety and antipsychotic drugs as it may cause permanent serious side effects!
    Being off those meds, my son has been doing pretty good behaviorwise but still suffering from insomnia (and of course, me too) I think what has held calm him is the hammock swing my hubby built for him- the swinging sensation soothes him and the hammock swing cradles and hugs his body. If possible please try a hammock swing. I got it from ****** and dad built a heavy duty swing frame from wood. I'm also giving him Melatonin at night, calcium since we're lactose intolerant and an omega 3 supplement. Have his doctor check for vitamin deficients during bloodwork too.
    We also got a tandem trike and he loves the sensation of riding it with me. It's called a TriRider adult tandem trike from Belize. Best $1000.00 I've ever spent!

I know part of his aggression is frustration of not being able to do things that others his age normally do and that he is lonely and bored. He is my only child and does not have any friends. He is also Autistic and nonverbal, his cognitive level is about 3-5years old and needs help in all daily needs but he is mostly a sweetheart and just about everyone at his day program loves him, even though occasionally he has his bad days. I truly wish that I paid better attention to the side effects of the medications his psychiatrist prescribed and hope they go away as I know my son loves eating and would not tolerate a feeding tube.
    I hope this info helps, sending hugs your way!

Reply Reply