It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board

Possible downs syndrome baby?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-28-2017, 07:08 PM   #1
Zatchbell
(male)

Zatchbell HB User
Possible downs syndrome baby?

My girlfriend is pregnant with our second child about 12 weeks along. The doctor told us it may have downs syndrome or another disorder because of symptoms she viewed in my girlfriend. I was wondering if a mother's symptoms while pregnant could actually point to a birth defect like this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2017, 04:35 AM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Possible downs syndrome baby?

Are you having amneo done to find out?

Old 11-30-2017, 12:57 AM   #3
kanded
(female)

kanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB User

What symptoms is the doctor talking about?
A pregnant mother could have a disease, or symptoms of a disease, but that would not mean a baby would have Down's Syndrome. The only way to know if a baby MAY have DS (in the womb) is to have an amniocentesis test. This is a test where a needle is inserted into the placenta to withdraw amniotic fluid to determine birth defects. This is a SCREENING test, which means a baby may or may not have these defects, it is based more on how high the risk factors are. There is a risk to this test, a mother may have a miscarriage after the procedure, especially if there is a problem with the baby. There are other tests that may prove with more accuracy whether a fetus has DS, but they may also involve more risk.
Some people who have had the test done, and were told by a doctor their baby probably has DS or another condition, have sometimes been proven wrong. The problem is, they can't always tell what is wrong exactly until the baby comes out. Other times there are no symptoms anything is wrong, and then the baby comes out with a condition. That was my experience.
I hope this helps, its tough to be in your position, but I hope everything works out for you and your girlfriend.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:56 AM   #4
kelleybell
(female)

kelleybell HB User

What type of symptoms are you talking about? As others said the only way to be sure is through cvs or amnio. I lost a baby with DS at 14 weeks pregnant 2 years ago. The first suspicion that something was wrong was from my ultrasound/NT scan. The nuchal fikd was too thick. After that I had done blood work done which showed a high primo ability of DS, from there I had cvs to confirm.

Reply Reply