It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board

• Anyone here given birth to another child after having your Down baby??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-11-2004, 04:32 PM   #1
    teitei

teitei HB User
    Anyone here given birth to another child after having your Down baby??

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]I have an 8 month old son with DS and due to the old biological clock ticking, am considering having another baby soon. I know my chances of having another Down baby are 1 in 100 at my age, but I was just wondering if anyone here had given birth to 2 Down babies in a row and if so, was it as severe a case as the first? Did anyone get Chorionic Villus Sampling and/or Amniocentesis done? I am afraid of the miscarriage risk from doing either, but am leaning towards the amnio, just for our own peace of mind. Any thoughts on this subject from anyone? Thanks!

Tracey[FONT=Tahoma]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2004, 09:33 PM   #2
    lexie's mom

lexie's mom HB User
    Re: Anyone here given birth to another child after having your Down baby??

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teitei
    [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]I have an 8 month old son with DS and due to the old biological clock ticking, am considering having another baby soon. I know my chances of having another Down baby are 1 in 100 at my age, but I was just wondering if anyone here had given birth to 2 Down babies in a row and if so, was it as severe a case as the first? Did anyone get Chorionic Villus Sampling and/or Amniocentesis done? I am afraid of the miscarriage risk from doing either, but am leaning towards the amnio, just for our own peace of mind. Any thoughts on this subject from anyone? Thanks!

Tracey[FONT=Tahoma]

Tracey,
    I had my daughter, who is Down's , at 35 and my son , who was normal, at 37. My best friend had her Down's son at 30 and then had two other boys after that. I decided not to have a amnio, but if I would have to do it again would have it done just to know what the outcome would be. It was a very long 9 months. My friend did have a amnio for both of her other pregencies.
    Patty

Old 01-13-2004, 05:44 AM   #3
    Chayce's mom

Chayce's mom HB User

I gave birth to my DS son Chayce at 25. I had my daughter Charis at 30. I did have a 14 week amnio with Charis which came back normal. I could not have gone the whole pregnancy worrying, I would have gone crazy! My doctor said a CVS is more risky then an amnio. She said my chances of having a trisome baby were 1/100 and miscarrying from an amnio were 1/300. We decide an amnio was right for us and I am so glad we did. I hope this helps and good luck to you and your family.

Old 01-13-2004, 03:06 PM   #4
    teitei

teitei HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lexie's mom
    Tracey,
    I had my daughter, who is Down's , at 35 and my son , who was normal, at 37. My best friend had her Down's son at 30 and then had two other boys after that. I decided not to have a amnio, but if I would have to do it again would have it done just to know what the outcome would be. It was a very long 9 months. My friend did have a amnio for both of her other pregencies.
    Patty
    Hi Patty:

Thanks for replying! How hard was it to manage two children close in age at the same time? I keep wondering first of all how I will handle being pregnant, extra tired and sick while having to care for my son. I then wonder how I'll handle caring for two babies so close in age. I am optimistic about it, but sometimes have doubts as to whether I will lose my mind throughout the process....LOL. Any tips?

Thanks!
    Tracey

Old 01-13-2004, 03:09 PM   #5
    teitei

teitei HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chayce's mom
    I gave birth to my DS son Chayce at 25. I had my daughter Charis at 30. I did have a 14 week amnio with Charis which came back normal. I could not have gone the whole pregnancy worrying, I would have gone crazy! My doctor said a CVS is more risky then an amnio. She said my chances of having a trisome baby were 1/100 and miscarrying from an amnio were 1/300. We decide an amnio was right for us and I am so glad we did. I hope this helps and good luck to you and your family.
    Thank you! Did you find the amnio terribly painful? I've heard the needle feels like the one used to draw blood; if so, I can live with that.

Thanks for putting the odds into perspective for me. That really made me feel more confident.

Tracey

Old 01-13-2004, 06:07 PM   #6
    Jensmom
    (female)

Jensmom HB User

My daughter Jennifer (DS) was my first child. We had two boys after that. Jen and Brian, our second child, are just 20 months apart. The pregnancy wasn't too bad, but handling 2 young ones was interesting. Jen was not walking yet when Brian was born, but somehow we all managed and they are very close to this day.

Old 01-14-2004, 11:36 AM   #7
    Chayce's mom

Chayce's mom HB User

Hi Tracey,

The amnio was not that bad. It hurt more coming out then going in. I would do it again if we decide to have a third child. If you do the amnio ask about the fish test. They can test the four most common chromosonal abnormalities, (21, 18, 13 and the sex) in a couple of days. They continue to grow the remaining chromosones and you get the results in 10 to 14 days.

Old 04-06-2004, 06:35 PM   #8
    momsrkute2

momsrkute2 HB User

My daughter (ds) is my middle child. I didn't want an amnio with my 3rd child. I figured I would have him no matter what. But when I was about 7 months pregnant with my third, the pediatrician heard a murmur in my daughter's chest at a routine docter visit. So when we took her to the cardiologist, he also checked my unborn baby's heart. Turns out my son was fine. And my daughter's isn't so bad either, in case you were wondering. She isn't even on medication, and the hole closed up some on it's own.

By the way, you're brave for going through with the amnio! Besides not really wanting to know if the baby had ds or not, I was scared of the procedure as well. We plan to have another baby down the road, and I probably won't have an amnio then either... i know, I'm a chicken.

Last edited by momsrkute2; 06-06-2006 at 07:01 AM.

Old 04-12-2004, 08:59 AM   #9
    Jaber
    (female)

Jaber HB User

I'm concerned about having more children, my only child is 10 months and has DS. It sounds that the chances of having a child without DS are pretty good based on what everyone has said, but I know according to the Drs. they say that the "chance of having another baby w/ DS is pretty good". Does anyone know of anyone who has had more than one child w/ DS?

Old 04-19-2004, 01:38 AM   #10
    Agefortyseven

Agefortyseven HB User

When I had David (Down syndrome) at age 35, my chances were 1 in 365.
    When I had Madeline (no DS) at age 36, my chances were 1 in 200.
    When I had Marcy (no DS) at age 38, my chances were 1 in 100.
    When I had Dwight (no DS) at age 41, my chances were 1 in 40.

After that, I stopped pushing my luck!
    With each one, I did not have CVS or amnio. Instead I had a "genetic ultrasound" which showed some details but carries no absolute guarantees. but it was a nice compromise because I didn't want an invasive test.

Old 04-23-2004, 05:12 PM   #11
    lilly5
    (female)

lilly5 HB User

I gave birth to my daughter, Brittany (with down syndrome) when I was 24 in 1990. I was told by a genetisist, that my chances of having another baby with D/S were 1 in 100 no matter what my age because for every 100 women who have a baby with D/S, one has another child with D/S. Anyway, I had my second daughter in 1995, I was almost 30 and I chose to have an amnio because I just had to know one way or the other. I don't know what I would have done if the results had come back that she had D/S, but I had to know.
    Good luck with your son. I can't tell you raising him will be easy, sometimes it will, but he will give you more love than words can say. I know there are times that I would trade my younger daughter for two like Brittany and other times I mourn for the daughter I didn't have. Life isn't always roses. If its not Down syndrome, there are so many other tragedies that hit families, at least this is not so bad. People with Down syndrome are leading better lives these days and in the future, I am sure it will get even better.

Old 05-31-2004, 05:50 PM   #12
    **Barney**

**Barney** HB User

my eldest daughter who will be 2 in July has Down's syndrome and I gave birth to her sister who has no problems, apart from suffering reflux, in January 2004 meaning there is only 18 months between them.

There are so many different stories about having children so close together but personally I have found it hard as Hannah with Down's is not yet walking at all She only started crawling in January and so i have had to carry the 2 of them everywhere which is very tiring. I also had to invest in a double buggy cos of getting around.

Also taking the girls swimming I have to enlist the help of family or friends as i cannot do the two by myself.

the pregnancy itself was easier than what i thought but after was alot harder.

however hannah adores her little sister and in time i am hoping it will help develop hannah as she has someone to follow

Old 06-20-2004, 07:09 PM   #13
    Ordinary_Guy

Ordinary_Guy HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Anyone here given birth to another child after having your Down baby??

A lady in our group had her first child in her mid 20s. The child had Down Syndrome. A couple of years later, she had her second child. The child had Down Syndrome. Since then she has had two more children ... both normal. The doctors said, "Lightning hit twice." I wouldn't worry about having more than one child with Down Syndrome. We have three. One born to us and the next two adopted (one at a time).

Last edited by Ordinary_Guy; 06-20-2004 at 07:10 PM.

Old 07-04-2004, 07:22 PM   #14
    SandSmom

SandSmom HB User

Hey Im am new to the HealthBoards and happen to see this post. I have a 4 year old dd, Sydnie, who happens to have Down syndrome and just had her a baby sister who is 9 weeks old. I did not have an amnio because I had 3 miscarriages before Saylor. I did have a level II that showed that all was fine. Even though they say our chances are greater..I dont believe that is entirely true. I know of one family a county over from me that have two children with Trisomy 21......most ppl I know have had one child and then the second have Ds. It's nice to find others that have had their first child be born with Ds.
    It is hard even at 4, because she still depends on me....like taking them out to a restaurant for example. You have one in a carrier and the other you have clutched by the hand....to not get away...lol
    I say go for it!!! As for me two is plenty...after 3 losses...I am happy with my family!!!

Old 07-31-2004, 08:17 AM   #15
    moe15

moe15 HB User

My mother had a DS boy and then had me 1 year later...and I am ok (well I don't have DS)

Ricki had kids with the following women

Mom 1-DS boy
    "normal" girl

Mom 2-DS boy

Mom 3-"normal" girl

a nice pattern he set up

Closed Thread