It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board

• Am I retarded?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-24-2004, 07:58 PM   #1
    computer707

computer707 HB User
    Am I retarded?

1. My mother took cocaine when I was a baby. ( I hate it cuz my family talks about it at Christmas at stuff, like I'm not even listening).
    2. I was in ESL as a kid when it wasn't even my 2nd language!
    3. I spoke late.
    4. Around 6th grade I started to get "stuff"
    5. I get called retarded every once in a while based on looks alone.
    6. Right now I am doing good in school(grade 11) in all honors/AP classes getting A's and B's.
    7. I really accel in Math & Science.
    8. I'm severely anti-social.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2004, 08:55 PM   #2
    leigh33

leigh33 HB User
    Re: Am I retarded?

No. You may have a form of fetal alcohol syndrom.. I don't know what the equivellent would be in relation to the drugs your mother was taking. (was she taking them while pregnant with you?)
    Anyways, you sound very intelligent, all honors and AP classes, that's amazing!

Old 02-01-2004, 09:15 PM   #3
    * Free ~ Spirit *
    Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User

How can you even be asking if you are retarded when you just said you get all A's and B's and are in honors classes?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    --Andrew Jackson

Old 02-02-2004, 11:45 AM   #4
    jerrie97
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jerrie97 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by computer707
    1. My mother took cocaine when I was a baby. ( I hate it cuz my family talks about it at Christmas at stuff, like I'm not even listening).
    2. I was in ESL as a kid when it wasn't even my 2nd language!
    3. I spoke late.
    4. Around 6th grade I started to get "stuff"
    5. I get called retarded every once in a while based on looks alone.
    6. Right now I am doing good in school(grade 11) in all honors/AP classes getting A's and B's.
    7. I really accel in Math & Science.
    8. I'm severely anti-social.
    1. Do you mean that your mother took cocaine while she was pregnant? If she did, you're lucky to be around. Most mothers who take cocaine during pregnancy will have a stillborn baby.
    2. I go to school with people who took ESL when it wasn't their second language. You're not alone.
    3. I spoke late also, but I eventually caught up.
    4. ?
    5. Don't listen to people who call you retarded, especially since you're in AP classes and get high grades too. Throwing around the word "retarded" can be taken offensively by a lot of people.
    6. I agree with ~Free Spirit on this one...
    7. Okay.
    8. Have you been officially diagnosed with anti-social disorder?

Old 02-02-2004, 09:26 PM   #5
    irish34

irish34 HB User

You are an amazing blessing to not only have survived cocaine use but to have become such an intelligent individual.
    You are not retarted; you are quite simply a unique person.
    Continue striving for your goals and don't ever let people crush your self esteem.
    Just be the best that you can be. The world is lucky to have you!

Old 02-03-2004, 07:09 AM   #6
    MissLijChristne
    (female)

MissLijChristne HB User
    Wink Re: Am I retarded?

You aren't retarded. It sounds to me like you have something called "Asperger's Syndrome". My brother has it, and has similar symptoms to you. (He's actually in the same grade as you People called him retarded and things like that, but you just learn to ignore it. Best of luck to you.

*~*'Lij Christine*~*

Old 02-06-2004, 01:57 PM   #7
    logical_ditz

logical_ditz HB User

I agree with everyone else on this. You aren't retarded! I wish I made grades like that! I wasn't in honors or AP classes. People are cruel. Rule your own world, don't let those jerks bother you!!!!!

Old 02-06-2004, 02:31 PM   #8
    Dindrane

Dindrane HB User

Wish I got grades like that.
    I got called lots of things when I was in school too - everything from bush pig to freak. I've heard them all. It's just cause I'm a bigger girl, people are crewel, especially the ones who are insecure about themsevles and have a need to make everyone else feel small so they can feel better about themselves. Pretty pathetic eh?

Blessings,
    Dindrane

P.s. Honors eh? What's that like? lol I'de never know hehe.

Last edited by Dindrane; 02-06-2004 at 02:33 PM.

Old 02-09-2004, 01:21 PM   #9
    computer707

computer707 HB User

Um... here is more stuff..

-Cannot read emotions very well.
    -The last one to get the joke.
    -Do not give other people information for the fear that they will do better than me! Eg: If anyone asks me about anything I just say "I know nothing".
    -Rather be alone than with people.
    -Good at logical and factual stuff.
    -Can hold 3 digit numbers in my head and multiply ect. with them. Didn't really have that all my life but I practiced it until I could do it. Always try to use my head instead of the calculator in all situations.
    -Clumsy.
    -Awful at sports.
    -Cannot draw or remember faces.
    -Excellent hearing, but will drift off if the speaker is BORING. Will not drift off if the reading is boring though. Will probably do the same work in History and English if I didn't have a teacher. It seems the teacher only gives the work in those classes.
    -My father was a statistics buff with an excellent memory, and my mother was an artist.
    -It took me 1 hour to figure out how to put a door knob on, and a week to figure out how to put up a door!

I do not think it is Asperger's because I do not think in pictures! It might be because everything else points to that...

P.S. I am 100% sure about the Cocaine, but there might have been cigarette abuse and alcohol too.

Last edited by computer707; 02-09-2004 at 01:38 PM.

Old 02-10-2004, 01:42 PM   #10
    Jaber
    (female)

Jaber HB User

Could it be a mild form of autism? What does your doctor say, or do you not tell anyone else your symptoms?

Old 02-10-2004, 04:46 PM   #11
    jerrie97
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jerrie97 HB User

I have mild Asperger's, and from everything else you described, it does sound like you have it mildly. Do you look people in the eye when they talk to you? Do you tend to not use a lot of hand gestures? Those are also two common traits of Aspergers.

Could you elaborate on what "thinking in pictures" is...?

Old 02-10-2004, 08:01 PM   #12
    dustdalnea

dustdalnea HB User
    Cool Re: Am I retarded?

[You are far from being retarded!!!!!!!
    Anyone that took drugs while being pregnant or in fact anyone who takes drugs at all are the ones who should feel retarded...
    You are a special person and a gifted person... Dont let anyone ever tell you different... Next time they talk about "it" in front of you just speak your mind and tell them that you are a person too and that they need to stop all the nonsense....
    You just make the very best of you rlife and forget what other people say.

Old 02-13-2004, 02:33 AM   #13
    goat

goat HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by computer707
    Um... here is more stuff..
    -Cannot read emotions very well.
    -The last one to get the joke.
    -Do not give other people information for the fear that they will do better than me! Eg: If anyone asks me about anything I just say "I know nothing".
    -Rather be alone than with people.
    -Good at logical and factual stuff.
    -Can hold 3 digit numbers in my head and multiply ect. with them. Didn't really have that all my life but I practiced it until I could do it. Always try to use my head instead of the calculator in all situations.
    -Clumsy.
    -Awful at sports.
    -Cannot draw or remember faces.
    -Excellent hearing, but will drift off if the speaker is BORING. Will not drift off if the reading is boring though. Will probably do the same work in History and English if I didn't have a teacher. It seems the teacher only gives the work in those classes.
    -My father was a statistics buff with an excellent memory, and my mother was an artist.
    -It took me 1 hour to figure out how to put a door knob on, and a week to figure out how to put up a door!

I do not think it is Asperger's because I do not think in pictures! It might be because everything else points to that...

P.S. I am 100% sure about the Cocaine, but there might have been cigarette abuse and alcohol too.
    Were you and I ever married? All kidding aside, the reason I quoted the whole enchilada is that it is a description of my former husband #2 who I have long thought had Asperger's syndrome. Not only was he the last one to get the joke, most often he never got it! He was horrible about reading anything about other people. He would rather be alone than with people. Some thought he might be retarded because of the way he looked and acted. He was so uncoordinated that he never even thought about sports. He never went past the 9th grade in school, and just walked away from it after that and became a drifter of sorts, working just to have money to eat and to have shelter. However, when he left me, he was earning about 60K a year on his computer skills alone. (He had other problems besides the suspected Asperger's, ones that I could not be his rock for.)

It is funny, we got together after corresponding on a bulletin board. We met on computers before the Internet (and not too long after ARPANET). My description of him isn't too flattering, but when we met we really liked each other, and he decided that I wasn't too much of a threat to him, so he let me in to his privacy, and it was OK if he didn't get my jokes, I wasn't going to call him retarded. We had such a wonderful time the eight years we were together.

I also briefly dated a guy with Asperger's years before I met my husband. He was extremely withdrawn, and worse off than my husband, but his memory was so sharp it could cut you. He had absolutely no social skills, and most of the time when he was in public, he ended up making an *** out of himself. How did I meet him? We went to the same college, and when he could force himself to attend (which was only a few days out of the semester), we would speak. He, too, decided that I was not a threat to him, and we liked each other. We would go out on private picnics, because he could not tolerate a crowd of more than one. He taught me to play guitar.

All this is to say that no, you are not retarded. We do not all have the same sets of skills, but any of them can be improved if we care to try. I was sort of good-looking and definitely well built, but really nerdy, and my social skills left something to be desired (which is probably why I could empathize enough with these guys to be their friend). Even now I can say things to people and they sometimes act as though I am speaking in another language or they look at me like I have an extra eye on my head somewhere. But I got 100% for the semester in trigonometry! There are some very popular, social people who can barely read and their writing sucks (boy, was I surprised to find that out!).
    _goat

Old 02-16-2004, 12:13 PM   #14
    Angel77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Angel77 HB User

No you don't sound retarded...as for a clinical aspect, that all depends. But the word has been taken out of context and made to be a derogitory word, which it was not meant for. It was meant to explain the developemental delay that some experience.

My husband grew up having ADD and was pushed aside until the 5th grade. The teachers always passed him off because he was a good kid and not disruptive. This did nothing but hurt him. He was finally tested because his mom refused to put him back in school until they did so. Well, they remedied it by sticking him straight into 6th grade! Here was this kid who learned very little in these years and was now expected to function without going through the proper channels. It breaks my heart, because of this, he was put in resource all the way through high-school and made fun of.

Kids always told him that was retarded and stupid and he heard it so much that he believes it. Let me tell you something, he is anything but stupid!!! He is very intelligent, but still struggles with reading and comprehension. He is an ASE certified mechanic, rebuilds computers, is top in his field, even out diagnoses his bosses... this is not the trait of a stupid or retarded person.

Don't let people's opinion of you carry on with you through your life...they are not who matters and you don't need to carry their baggage with you. You are your own person and the only one who matters. Don't let them hurt you like people hurt my husband. He still can not get past the feelings of inadequacy, no matter how smart he has proven himself to be. Another problem is how people are grouped in school. They don't allow for many different types of teaching and learning abilities. They figure everyone should learn one way and those who don't fall into the resource category. This is something that can stay with them.

My son is 9 and in 3rd grade. He was in resource 2nd and 3rd, before kids start teasing really harshly. Every kid should be allowed to have one on one teaching. It is necessary for kids to excell, yet looked at as a fault.

Please know that you are not retarded. You speak well, you are well written and from the sounds of it, have a huge heart. Don't let anyone step on that.

Old 02-16-2004, 08:55 PM   #15
    sm4321

sm4321 HB User

computer707 give me a break

Closed Thread