It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board

• Down's Syndrome and compulsive skin picking

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-30-2004, 02:15 PM   #1
    RacheleC

RacheleC HB User
    Down's Syndrome and compulsive skin picking

Does anyone have any information about compulsive skin picking in a person with Down's Syndrome?

My unlce Keith is 50 years old and has Down's. My grandma, who is 72 years old, has taken care of him at home his entire life.

He has always had an obsession with picking at any little mark or spot on his legs until they are gaping, oozing, open wounds.

My grandma is so frustrated. She has tried everything - from covering up his legs (he always gets whatever she puts on them, off)...punishing, begging, bargaining...you name it. He just will not stop.

I know that he is taking anti depressants. I think he is on Prozac and Buspar.

Does anyone have any suggestions or information that might help?

Thanks in advance,
    Rachele

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2004, 08:51 PM   #2
    halfnuts

halfnuts HB User
    Re: Down's Syndrome and compulsive skin picking

not really a suggestion and dont really know if its the same thing your uncle is dealing with but my 8 year old daughter has a bad habit of picking the skin from around the cuticiles around her pinky and thumbnails until it bleeds sometimes.... i dont think she does it because it bleeds because she doesnt like to bleed but i think she does it because she likes the feel of the loose skin sticking up from the cuticle... i think that is the compulsion (the loose skin sticking up) but she does pick an awful lot in those areas. she doesnt really hurt herself doing it until she draws blood, then when she does she kind of freaks out but she is infatuated with the feeling of the skin when she rubs it on her other arm or someone elses. not sure if thats the same thing your dealing with but just thought i would mention it .......... dont think its as severe as what your dealing with.

Closed Thread