It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board

• What does 1 and 90 mean

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-07-2004, 08:00 PM   #1
    RJK123

RJK123 HB User
    What does 1 and 90 mean

My wife is 30 years old and she was told that it is a 1-90 chance that the child has DS. We are going for tests on Monday. How accurate are these tests and would you suggest the amnio?

THanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2004, 06:40 PM   #2
    moody318
    (female)

moody318 HB User
    Re: What does 1 and 90 mean

I am not in the health care field but I have a baby with DS and our blood test was negative so we did not know until after he was born. Normally, my understanding is that they tests can result in a false positive but we had a false negative..so I really don't think the blood test is too accurate. They do also look at the ultrasounds for thickening of the skin on the neck to determine if the baby has DS. Finally, I really don't recommend an amnio because my understanding is that it can cause more problems than it will benefit you...if you dont plan on doing anything if the results are positive I would suggest not doing the amnio. Just for your info, my son is the best thing that has ever happened to me and I would not change him for the world.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-10-2004 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Please carefully read, know and follow the Healthboards.com Policies and Guidelines. Click on FAQ at the top left of this page. Thank you!

Old 04-30-2004, 08:33 AM   #3
    maak823
    Inactive

maak823 HB User

The AFP or "Tri Screen" test often gives a false positive, I would definatley reccommend a Level 2 ultrasound, followed by an amnio to get a correct diagnosis.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RJK123
    My wife is 30 years old and she was told that it is a 1-90 chance that the child has DS. We are going for tests on Monday. How accurate are these tests and would you suggest the amnio?

THanks

Old 05-21-2004, 11:00 AM   #4
    Teresa882003
    Veteran

Teresa882003 HB User

I too heard the AFP or the blood test they do at 18weeks cause false positives so I opted not to have them done! I saw no need to cause unwarrented stress during pregnancy. On of the first things I read they would do would be an ultrasound, which I have had several checking on the placenta. And personally, I didn't want to risk the Amnio and could think of no reason I would abort so I chose not to have that test. I do wish you the best of luck! Hope everything turns out!
    Its a Girl 1/12/06

Old 05-21-2004, 11:22 AM   #5
    maak823
    Inactive

maak823 HB User

I agree that it does cause a lot of unwanted stress- however; you do want a diagnosis before you go into labor. For example, if DS- there are often heart problems, etc associated and the Dr. may not want the stress of a natural birth for the baby. If it goes the other way and Spina Bifida is the diagnosis- then you would want a Neurosurgeon and a team of Dr's ready to perform immedate surgery to close the opening around the spine in order to reduce the amount of paralysis.

So, all in all - it is a good thing to know and be prepared, even if it wouldn't change your mind. And you can always prove the false positive AFP wrong with a Level 3 ultrasound and an amnio.

Good Luck to you on your new adventure- sounds like you are almost there!!!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Teresa882003
    I too heard the AFP or the blood test they do at 18weeks cause false positives so I opted not to have them done! I saw no need to cause unwarrented stress during pregnancy. On of the first things I read they would do would be an ultrasound, which I have had several checking on the placenta. And personally, I didn't want to risk the Amnio and could think of no reason I would abort so I chose not to have that test. I do wish you the best of luck! Hope everything turns out!

Old 05-21-2004, 11:35 AM   #6
    Teresa882003
    Veteran

Teresa882003 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maak823
    I agree that it does cause a lot of unwanted stress- however; you do want a diagnosis before you go into labor. For example, if DS- there are often heart problems, etc associated and the Dr. may not want the stress of a natural birth for the baby. If it goes the other way and Spina Bifida is the diagnosis- then you would want a Neurosurgeon and a team of Dr's ready to perform immedate surgery to close the opening around the spine in order to reduce the amount of paralysis.

So, all in all - it is a good thing to know and be prepared, even if it wouldn't change your mind. And you can always prove the false positive AFP wrong with a Level 3 ultrasound and an amnio.

Good Luck to you on your new adventure- sounds like you are almost there!!!!!
    I have had 6 ultrasounds and no apparent problems are showing up with the exception of the placenta being low lying and it looks as if I will require a C section anyway do to that and the baby being transverse or sideways!!! I had such a hard time conceiving that I couldn't imagine having the Amnio and risking a miscarriage. But everyone is different and some will have to know. I guess I am relying alot on my faith and the fact that I will take what the Lord blesses us with!

I am not saying others shouldn't have these tests done, just for me it wasn't what I chose to do. I felt the stress from the tests would make things worse on me and the baby. But I realize others have to know prior to and that is their option.
    Its a Girl 1/12/06

Old 05-31-2004, 05:16 PM   #7
    **Barney**

**Barney** HB User

my daughter was born with Down's syndrome and she is the cutest little girl i could ever wish for She is nearly 2 now and she has just got a new baby sister too.

She totally fufills my life and i couldn't imagine life without her. She so deserves the chance to live the wonderful life i am intending to give her

Closed Thread