It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board

• 1 in 9 chance of DS please help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-30-2004, 04:26 PM   #1
    haleysmum
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

haleysmum HB User
    1 in 9 chance of DS please help

Hi I had a nuchal translucency (sp) scan and blood test a couple of weeks ago and it came back I have a 1 in 9 chance of my baby having DS...I am absolutely freaking out at these results ( they seem quite high ) I am booked in to have my amnio done in 48 hours and am having the fish test also, so will have a result telling me if the baby DOES have DS within 48 hours and then have to wait another week to totally rule out other chromosome probs.....I am so scared right now Any advice and support would be great THANKS

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2004, 04:42 PM   #2
    **Barney**

**Barney** HB User
    Re: 1 in 9 chance of DS please help

Dear Hayleys mum

How did you get on Not sure when you posted this message as board not ever so clear to me

My daughter has Down's syndrome and she is the cutest thing ever. I could not imagine my life without her. Despite her condition she loves life and i'm glad that she has got the chance to live a life just as much as any other baby has

Let me know how you got on and if you need any support will be glad to help you

Old 06-01-2004, 09:55 AM   #3
    maak823
    Inactive

maak823 HB User

Dear Haleysmum-
    First- try to relax, the stress after hearing this news is about unbearable, I know (been there)- but until you find out for sure, please do what you can to keep your mind off of the test result.

Second- this was only the first screen- there is still a good chance that everything will be just fine.

Third- if it is positive, and your baby has DS- its OK, you can make it and so will this precious bundle of joy that you are bringing into the world. You will know how to plan for Him/Her and will be the best Mommy ever in this baby's eyes.

Keep us posted on how you are doing. The waiting is the worst part.

Take Care,
    -M

Quote:
    Originally Posted by haleysmum
    Hi I had a nuchal translucency (sp) scan and blood test a couple of weeks ago and it came back I have a 1 in 9 chance of my baby having DS...I am absolutely freaking out at these results ( they seem quite high ) I am booked in to have my amnio done in 48 hours and am having the fish test also, so will have a result telling me if the baby DOES have DS within 48 hours and then have to wait another week to totally rule out other chromosome probs.....I am so scared right now Any advice and support would be great THANKS

Old 08-06-2004, 07:53 PM   #4
    Tom W.

Tom W. HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by haleysmum

Old 08-06-2004, 07:56 PM   #5
    Tom W.

Tom W. HB User

[B]Please be calm...If you have a down syndrom child, he or she will bring you more joy than you ever imagined. Please read..."Expecting Adam" by Martha Beck. Available at most book stores...God Bless...and BE Calm!!!!! [/B] undefinedundefined

Closed Thread