It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board

• Normal Fish Test Result Another ??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-05-2004, 04:13 PM   #1
    haleysmum
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

haleysmum HB User
    Normal Fish Test Result Another ??

Hi I had an amnio done last week as I came back with a 1 in 9 chance that my baby had DS ......I had the fish test done which has come back normal and also told me I am having a boy The doctor has reassured me that it is highly unlikely and very rare for the final tests results to show any different, but I was wondering if any of you had this fish test done and got a normal then still turned out your baby had DS ? I know I am probably stressing for nothing, but wont feel totatally confident till I get the final result back.......Any replies will be greatly appreciated THANKS

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2004, 11:24 AM   #2
    Chayce's mom

Chayce's mom HB User
    Smile Re: Normal Fish Test Result Another ??

Hi Haleysmom,

Congratulations on your results, what a relief for you and your family. I had the FISH test with my daughter, it was normal and the final full karyotype was normal too. I have never heard of having a normal FISH test and still going on to have a child with DS.

Old 06-09-2004, 05:49 AM   #3
    haleysmum
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

haleysmum HB User
    Re: Normal Fish Test Result Another ??

Hi thanks for the reply That is what I thought but they do clearly tell you that its not 100 % , I guess they have to allow for mistakes....My understanding of it from all the research I done was that it was 98% accurate....Anyway I plan on phoning the hospital tomorrow morning to see if the final results are in, but Im sure Im just panicking for nothing thanks again for the reply

Old 06-23-2004, 03:02 AM   #4
    sheryl555

sheryl555 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Normal Fish Test Result Another ??

Hello,

I saw this question on the board and although I do not have a DS baby I had to write about this. Our neighbor was tested, they were pretty sure that she would have a DS baby. She and her husband were deciding what to do. I prayed they would just leave it totally in God's hands and not continue to further test. It is a good thing they decided to do nothing. Their "baby" just graduated high school the other day with high honors! He didn't have DS at all, they may have aborted a perfectly "normal" baby. And truly aren't all babies perfect? God doesn't make mistakes! Where I work, they employ several DS "kids" as a cleaning crew. They have brought so much joy to my life just by having them in it. I look so forward to seeing them everyday, one "boy" he's 31 tells me everyday about the Yankees. He is a devout Yankee fan and can tell you anything you would want to know about that team. I also have a cousin who has DS, he's 52 now an almost unheard of age for DS. He can tell you anything you want to know about any music and knows all makes and models and years of cars! They all have their own personalities and they are so smart in what they do know. I love all of them, I truly do. They are loving and sincere, I'll tell you one thing for sure there is no DS person that is a phoney. They are real, I'm almost envious that God didn't think I was special enough to give birth to a DS baby. They are truly beautfiul in every sense of the word. Congratulations on your pregnancy, sit back, relax and enjoy the whole pregnancy.

Last edited by sheryl555; 06-23-2004 at 03:05 AM.

Closed Thread