It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board

• New hobby for pre-teen son with DS

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-17-2004, 06:18 AM   #1
    mother of six

mother of six HB User
    New hobby for pre-teen son with DS

Good morning everyone. I am new to the boards and I am hoping that someone can guide me. I have an 11 y/o son with DS. I recently remarried so now he is one of six children. We are not quite sure how he feels about our new situation since his communication skills are very poor. We believe that he is going through the typical pre-teen issues, rebellion, pushing the boundaries of the word "no", not wanting to give up playstation/tv at bedtime and now the discovery of "himself". My 13 y/o son and I have spoken to him many times about his new found hobby of touching himself but he is having a tough time letting that one go (no pun intended). I recently received a note home from school telling me that they are starting to have this same issue at school. I have tried to get some information on this topic but all I have been able to find is how masturbation causes mental illness???? Not exactly what I am looking for. We are hoping that someone can advise us as to what we can do about this issue. Could he be re-acting to our new situation? Thank you and we appreciate your comments.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2004, 02:04 PM   #2
    jeffster
    (male)

jeffster HB User
    Re: New hobby for pre-teen son with DS

I'm no expert, but my opinion would be to let him know that doing it in public isn't acceptable. Don't try to make him think it's unacceptable altogether, as that can cause big time sexual problems down the road.

Jeff

Closed Thread