It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board

• new mom with questions on trisomy 18

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-14-2004, 01:38 PM   #1
    nickysmom22
    (female)

nickysmom22 HB User
    Question new mom with questions on soft markers on ultrasound

hi there i am 21 weeks doctors first thought that my baby had trisomy 18 now they say its not that that they think it can be d/s but there not sure there are soft marker showing some fluid on the brain that is still with in normal range the fold on the back of the neck and that the umbilica cord has only 2 vessals in the cord they say its a 50/50 chance just woundering what are other markers for d/s doctor dosen't recommened amino to high of risk please if anyone has any info on this .thank you

Last edited by nickysmom22; 12-31-2004 at 07:13 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2004, 06:05 PM   #2
    Scweethart

Scweethart HB User
    Re: new mom with questions on trisomy 18

nicky's mom,

I don't know if I can offer any information since downs syndrome is trisomy 21. I don't know what trisomy 18 is. Check the internet.

Old 12-20-2004, 10:33 AM   #3
    sherry092
    (female)

sherry092 HB User
    Re: new mom with questions on trisomy 18

Nicky,
    I know a bit about Trisomy 18 and would definately recommend a few things:

First, ask your doctor about your first trimester blood screen- they check for Trisomy 18, 21 and many other things- find out what your chances of T18 are. Did you do the first trimester blood screen??

Second- PLEASE read about it online-- it is very involved and you need to know as much as you possibly can.

Once you read the info, I am positive that you will go for your amnio. I'm praying that its not, but if it is Trisomy 18, it is not a minor issue that you can just adjust to. You would need to know ahead of time - for your sake and the baby's.

Old 01-19-2005, 07:46 PM   #4
    brentana
    (female)

brentana HB User
    Re: new mom with questions on soft markers on ultrasound

I have a trisomy 21 child however when I was pregnant they first thought that she had hydrosyphalis, which was a swelling of the ventracles in the brain and that was at my 20 week ultrasound. I went ahead with an amnio and it turned out to be trisomy 21 and the hydrosyphalis was suddenly gone by week 23 and they suspect that it showed up that way initially as a warning sign for something else. Did you ask about hydrosyphalis? Because it does involve the fluid around the brain. Best of luck

Closed Thread