It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Down Syndrome Message Board

  • Level II Ultrasound

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 03-14-2005, 11:31 AM   #1
    new dad
    Newbie
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Mar 2005
    Posts: 4
    new dad HB User
    Level II Ultrasound

    Hi,

    After the triple screen blood test, my wife and I have recently been given the 1/36 odds that our baby will have DS (I am not sure what to think of this number - it is 4x the velue of my wife's inherent 38 years of age risk, which is around 1/144). We went for the level II ultrasound and no soft markers were found. I understand that they are not able to rule out DS from looking at the u/s, but what I am having difficulty with is the value of having it after all. I mean, why would they even offer it if it doesn't change a thing?

    Can somebody tell me what does a "normal" level II ultrasound really mean?

    Concerned and proud poppa of a little girl

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 03-14-2005, 07:25 PM   #2
    jenglaze
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Mar 2005
    Posts: 2
    jenglaze HB User
    Re: Level II Ultrasound

    Hi, I have two children with Down syndrome, first congratulations on your little one! Did they do a nuchal skin fold test ( its a test that measures the back of the baby's neck) during the ultrasound. One thing I do know is that the AFP's can be wrong so just hang in there and know that you are going to have a beautiful little girl to love and who will love you back regardless of the outcome - Jen

     
    Old 03-15-2005, 08:49 AM   #3
    new dad
    Newbie
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Mar 2005
    Posts: 4
    new dad HB User
    Re: Level II Ultrasound

    Jen,

    Thank you for the reply and warm wishes. We are very excited about our baby girl and will love it forever, no matter what.

    Now, our Dr. studied the ultrasound for about 10 minutes and said that he couldn't see anything wrong. I am not sure if he measured the neck, but he did look at it carefully. He also spent quite a long time looking at her heart and said that everything looked perfect. I am not sure what to make of all of this.

    Thanks

     
    Old 03-18-2005, 09:45 AM   #4
    gomer4
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Posts: 157
    gomer4 HB User
    Re: Level II Ultrasound

    I had an AFP test that put my risk of a DS baby at 1/86, if I remember correctly. I was 33 and this was a "risk" for my age, so I was sent for the level II ultrasound. The doctor who did it could see nothing, measured the back of the neck, all the bones, and as you mentioned, spent a long time looking at the heart, in color.........which was really neat. I went for another ultrasound 4 weeks later, and he still couldn't see anything. We had decided not to do the amnio due to the miscarriage risks, and the fact that we would not have done anything with the results - (abortion).

    My son was born with no problems. Prayers to you.........

     
    Old 03-18-2005, 11:22 AM   #5
    coppercoin
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Mar 2005
    Posts: 9
    coppercoin HB User
    Re: Level II Ultrasound

    What I can tell you is that a 1/36 chance means 2.7% chance. So in other words, you have a 97.3% chance of no DS. There are about 35 "soft markers" that is looked for on a level II US such as femur length, heart complications, fluid around the brain, nasal bone, etc. which has been seen in kids with DS. I know it is stressful but my prayers for peace are with you. Hope this helps...

     
    Old 03-19-2005, 11:05 AM   #6
    new dad
    Newbie
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Mar 2005
    Posts: 4
    new dad HB User
    Re: Level II Ultrasound

    Thank you all for your prayers and good wishes.

    Well, we went for a second level II u/s and the amnio. This time, the Dr. measured the nuchal fold thickness and length of the bones in arms and legs. He said that the results were well within the norm. In fact, the bones are a little longer than the average which, he said, could mean that we'll have a tall baby. He also looked at her kidneys, heart, hands, spine, etc. Everything looked normal.

    We still went ahead with the amnio and are currently nervously awaiting results. Amnio went flawlessly, thank goodnes. That was our biggest concern, since we had four miscarriages before and didn't want to disturb our little girl.

    During the amnio, she moved her mouth as if she were speaking to us. My wife and I completly broke down in tears. We can not wait to welcome our little princess into this world. She will be (and is) simply adored, no matter what.

    Thanks again. Reading your posting really helped us wrap our heads around this heart wrenching series of events. I'll let you know what the amnio results are; we're hoping for the best...

    Marko

     
    Old 03-25-2005, 06:29 AM   #7
    nickysmom22
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Dec 2004
    Posts: 8
    nickysmom22 HB User
    Re: Level II Ultrasound

    hi there i was just woundering how u found that there is 35 soft markers for d/s if u can reply to me and let me know where i can find them thanxs

    Last edited by moderator2; 03-25-2005 at 09:02 AM. Reason: please review the posting rules - no emails - post on the board only

     
    Old 03-25-2005, 02:42 PM   #8
    new dad
    Newbie
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Mar 2005
    Posts: 4
    new dad HB User
    Re: Level II Ultrasound

    Hi everyone,

    I just wanted to let you know that we got the good news this morning from the Dr. that our girl's amnio results don't show any chromosomal abnormalities. They even went so far to say that she won't have any liver problems either, which I guess they can tell as well. This was a great relief for us. We are very happy and look forward to a peaceful rest of the pregnancy.

    Thanks everyone for good wishes!

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    Pyelectasis or Dilation of Kidneys-Level 2 Ultrasound Coryn0921 Pregnancy 2 06-09-2009 11:49 AM
    A bit worried...why a level 2 ultrasound? sweetea13 Pregnancy 4 04-30-2008 06:03 PM
    Opinion on Level 2 ultrasound Ilovemyboy Pregnancy 8 05-14-2006 07:52 AM
    Level 2 ultrasound Ash4179 Pregnancy 16 11-04-2004 08:25 AM
    slow rise in hcg level saj201514 Pregnancy 3 01-16-2004 12:02 PM
    HCG level too high? Angela M Pregnancy 4 01-15-2004 03:53 PM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:43 AM.





    2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!