It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board

• Level II Ultrasound

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-14-2005, 11:31 AM   #1
    new dad
    (male)

new dad HB User
    Level II Ultrasound

Hi,

After the triple screen blood test, my wife and I have recently been given the 1/36 odds that our baby will have DS (I am not sure what to think of this number - it is 4x the velue of my wife's inherent 38 years of age risk, which is around 1/144). We went for the level II ultrasound and no soft markers were found. I understand that they are not able to rule out DS from looking at the u/s, but what I am having difficulty with is the value of having it after all. I mean, why would they even offer it if it doesn't change a thing?

Can somebody tell me what does a "normal" level II ultrasound really mean?

Concerned and proud poppa of a little girl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2005, 07:25 PM   #2
    jenglaze
    (female)

jenglaze HB User
    Re: Level II Ultrasound

Hi, I have two children with Down syndrome, first congratulations on your little one! Did they do a nuchal skin fold test ( its a test that measures the back of the baby's neck) during the ultrasound. One thing I do know is that the AFP's can be wrong so just hang in there and know that you are going to have a beautiful little girl to love and who will love you back regardless of the outcome - Jen

Old 03-15-2005, 08:49 AM   #3
    new dad
    (male)

new dad HB User

Jen,

Thank you for the reply and warm wishes. We are very excited about our baby girl and will love it forever, no matter what.

Now, our Dr. studied the ultrasound for about 10 minutes and said that he couldn't see anything wrong. I am not sure if he measured the neck, but he did look at it carefully. He also spent quite a long time looking at her heart and said that everything looked perfect. I am not sure what to make of all of this.

Thanks

Old 03-18-2005, 09:45 AM   #4
    gomer4
    (female)

gomer4 HB User

I had an AFP test that put my risk of a DS baby at 1/86, if I remember correctly. I was 33 and this was a "risk" for my age, so I was sent for the level II ultrasound. The doctor who did it could see nothing, measured the back of the neck, all the bones, and as you mentioned, spent a long time looking at the heart, in color.........which was really neat. I went for another ultrasound 4 weeks later, and he still couldn't see anything. We had decided not to do the amnio due to the miscarriage risks, and the fact that we would not have done anything with the results - (abortion).

My son was born with no problems. Prayers to you.........

Old 03-18-2005, 11:22 AM   #5
    coppercoin
    (female)

coppercoin HB User

What I can tell you is that a 1/36 chance means 2.7% chance. So in other words, you have a 97.3% chance of no DS. There are about 35 "soft markers" that is looked for on a level II US such as femur length, heart complications, fluid around the brain, nasal bone, etc. which has been seen in kids with DS. I know it is stressful but my prayers for peace are with you. Hope this helps...

Old 03-19-2005, 11:05 AM   #6
    new dad
    (male)

new dad HB User

Thank you all for your prayers and good wishes.

Well, we went for a second level II u/s and the amnio. This time, the Dr. measured the nuchal fold thickness and length of the bones in arms and legs. He said that the results were well within the norm. In fact, the bones are a little longer than the average which, he said, could mean that we'll have a tall baby. He also looked at her kidneys, heart, hands, spine, etc. Everything looked normal.

We still went ahead with the amnio and are currently nervously awaiting results. Amnio went flawlessly, thank goodnes. That was our biggest concern, since we had four miscarriages before and didn't want to disturb our little girl.

During the amnio, she moved her mouth as if she were speaking to us. My wife and I completly broke down in tears. We can not wait to welcome our little princess into this world. She will be (and is) simply adored, no matter what.

Thanks again. Reading your posting really helped us wrap our heads around this heart wrenching series of events. I'll let you know what the amnio results are; we're hoping for the best...

Marko

Old 03-25-2005, 06:29 AM   #7
    nickysmom22
    (female)

nickysmom22 HB User

hi there i was just woundering how u found that there is 35 soft markers for d/s if u can reply to me and let me know where i can find them thanxs

Last edited by moderator2; 03-25-2005 at 09:02 AM. Reason: please review the posting rules - no emails - post on the board only

Old 03-25-2005, 02:42 PM   #8
    new dad
    (male)

new dad HB User

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that we got the good news this morning from the Dr. that our girl's amnio results don't show any chromosomal abnormalities. They even went so far to say that she won't have any liver problems either, which I guess they can tell as well. This was a great relief for us. We are very happy and look forward to a peaceful rest of the pregnancy.

Thanks everyone for good wishes!

Closed Thread