It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board

• Soft Marker for DS...Dilated Renal Pelvis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-31-2005, 02:28 PM   #1
    MEGD
    (female)

MEGD HB User
    Soft Marker for DS...Dilated Renal Pelvis

I went to the perinatologist last week and had a Level II sono (at 19 weeks) and we are so excited IT'S A GIRL!!! I had the Level II sono because of my age...I'm 34 and will be 35 in June--EDD is August 17th so I will be 35 at the time of delivery. This is our third child...we have a 4 y/o son and a 9 month old daughter. The dr. said everything looked great however her renal pelvis is dilated a bit. Normal is up to 3cm and hers was 4cm and 3.8cm. The dr. told me not to worry as the dilation is minimal but this is considered a "soft marker" for Down Syndrome. There were no other markers and she said she has a nice long femur (her dad is 6'4"). I go back at 32wks for another sono to see if they're back within normal range. I am trying not to get too worked up but I guess I am or I wouldn't be posting to you all. I just want to be prepared for what may come. We declined an amnio. Just curious to see if anyone else has had this and what your outcome was. Thanks so much for any info....good or bad is welcomed.

Last edited by MEGD; 03-31-2005 at 02:33 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2005, 10:44 AM   #2
    browneyedsusie
    (female)

browneyedsusie HB User
    Re: Soft Marker for DS...Dilated Renal Pelvis

Hi.... Just thought I would let you know (you probably already do) that your age group has a very low percentage rate for D.S. I have 3 children the last 2 born 14 months apart at 36, 38. Up until a couple of months ago we were considering one more. I am now 42 and realize I am showing signs of peri. I know the stronger markers are that of the femur and measurement of the forehead and bridge of nose. Seeing as this is not your 1st pregnancy (rates are higher with 1st) I would really relax and try to enjoy the next 24 weeks. It really takes a jump every year after 35 and becomes of course a higher percentage every year there after...Again ..I am sure all is well ...All odds are in your favour...L

Last edited by browneyedsusie; 04-01-2005 at 10:45 AM.

Closed Thread