It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board

• 11 year old DS with behavior issues

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-06-2005, 06:49 PM   #1
    Kaylabuggmom
    (female)

Kaylabuggmom HB User
    Question 11 year old DS with behavior issues

I have an 11 year old girl who is an angel most of the time, however we are having behavior issues. I work at USPS for 19 years now, and I am about to
    lose yet another after school sitter with absolutely nowhere else to turn.
    Sometimes when she gets off the bus at the sitters she will drop dead weight to the ground and refuse to get up. On this particular occasion, the sitters husband was called to help and she started hitting him. She is a very strong girl and usually hurts people. She has starting hitting me when it was time to
    leave church and I had to hold her till she calmed down. Hitting other children
    at daycare, usually smaller ones, is a very common problem we are having.
    Its like Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde! I have tried reward systems, which work for a short time and then fizzle out. The doctor is perplexed, and the teachers are
    clueless, does anyone have any ideas??????????????
    Diane G

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2005, 07:38 PM   #2
    Karen W.
    Veteran
    (female)

Karen W. HB User
    Re: 11 year old DS with behavior issues

Hi,
    I have a down syndrom son who is now twenty, He had gone threw some behavior issue's, He love's to watchwrestling, One time he got mad at me and flipped me in the kitchen. During the time whem he would get mad and really start yelling, you knew he was going to hurt you in some way, after if was done, he would break down and cry his eye's out. Part of it is, Your daughter is entering a puberity stage, her harmones are bouncing off the wall and she dose not know how to handle it, regular teens don't handle it well so a special needs person dose not know how to handle it at all. Sometime's with my son, when he was mad, the best thing was to keep your voice really calm, raising your voice at a time when there really mad just make's it worse. When he was super mad, I would say, Excuse me, Now David, I know your a really nice guy, I just love it when your nice, do you think you could show me how nice you can be, sometime,s it makes them forget there anger. I know what your going threw, I had taked to my son dostor, she didn't want to put him on any meds unless his behavior was a consistant pattern. I know there were time's David would act out when he was frustrated with someone or something. It has calmed down allot now that he is basically done with purberity, Dose she have a good school setting? Dose she get frustrated at school? Alot of these things will trigger her anger if she is unhappy.
    Karen W.

Closed Thread