It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board

• Bobbing of the head ????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-20-2005, 09:18 AM   #1
    Danielmom
    (female)

Danielmom HB User
    Lightbulb Bobbing of the head ????

Hi Everybody,
    After reading a couple of the posting I decided you guys usually give awesome advices so I'm writing my question.
    My son Daniel is ten months old, and three months ago he started moving his head up and down (like saying yes), when he is not busy playing.
    This concerns me because I can't stop him from doing this. I went to a daycare where there was another baby with down's syndrome that was doing the same thing.

We have taken him to the ENT and he has fluid in his middle ear, Is this an Ear problem? Is this a sensory problem? Could my baby be autistic?

Is there anybody out there that has gone through this problem, I would really appreciate your answers.
    Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2005, 09:12 PM   #2
    Karen W.
    Veteran
    (female)

Karen W. HB User
    Re: Bobbing of the head ????

Hi,
    You son's mucle's in his neck maybe week, DS kids espicially at that age have pour mucles tone, We had to do exercise's twice a day or more to strenthen my son's mucle's. Dose your son get therapy? If he dose ask them about it.
    Karen

Old 04-24-2005, 06:02 AM   #3
    thomas3000
    Inactive
    (male)

thomas3000 HB User

Does your son drink milk???

Old 04-27-2005, 01:14 PM   #4
    Danielmom
    (female)

Danielmom HB User

To answer your questions...

He seems like he has pretty good head control, and the therapist don't know where this nodding can come from, that's why I'm so worried.

About the milk, he is still drinking formula. Enfamil Lipil.
    Any reason why you ask about the milk?

Old 04-29-2005, 01:19 PM   #5
    Danielmom
    (female)

Danielmom HB User

I JUST TOOK MY SON TO THE OPHTALMOLOGIST AND THEY DIAGNOSED SPASMUS NUTANS,
    This is a specific type of pendular systagmus of infancy accompanied by head bobbing and occasionally by abnormal position of the neck.
    Spasmus nutans involves a triad of symptoms which include horizontal, vertical, or pendular head nodding, and head tilting.
    Most cases begin betweeen age 4 months and 1 year. It usually goes away by itself in several months to years. Less commonly it may be associated iwth other causative conditions.
    Rarely, symptoms like those of spasmus nutans may be produced by tumors in the optic chiasm or third ventricle of the brain.
    THIS IS WHY MY SON IS GOING FOR AN MRI ON MONDAY.
    PLEASE PRAY FOR HIM.

THANKS FOR CARING.

Closed Thread