It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board

• no markers?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-06-2005, 06:06 PM   #1
    asako
    Inactive
    (female)

asako HB User
    no markers?

i'm 19 weeks pregnant with my first child. My first triple screen came back as 1/47 chance of ds. after doing an ultrasound, they found that iwas 2 weeks behind what they thought i was...instead of 17 weeks, i was 15...had another triple screen and the results came back 1/800...better, but still not what it should be--1/1400+ for my age...i had another ultra sound and amnio done...just waiting for the results...

my question is...if there were any indications of ds, the tech/doctor would have told me, right? I asked if everything looked as it should, and the tech said that everything (all measurments) were consistent with my last ultra sound. i know that ultra sounds aren't 100% in diagnosing, but surely, if my baby was affected, something would have been relfected in the measurments right?

any insight or experience would be greatly appreciated and helpful...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2005, 05:16 PM   #2
    Brandiwine
    (female)

Brandiwine HB User
    Re: no markers?

when my trisomy screen came back they said that my son may be born with ds. the amnio came back absoutley normal. he was born without any signs of ds at all......good luck......and i hope every thing comes back normal and you have a beautiful healthy baby. my prayers will be with you and your baby.

Old 07-07-2005, 06:59 PM   #3
    Jaber
    (female)

Jaber HB User

How is this possible Brandi? Amnios are 100% accurate. And what is a trisomy screen, some kind of new test?

Asako - If the u/s tech or doctor sees any soft markers on your u/s, they would tell you. But it is possible to have no markers at all, and the baby have DS. I know a few parents who had no idea until after the baby was born (they had no reason to have an amnio).

Old 07-10-2005, 07:51 AM   #4
    Brandiwine
    (female)

Brandiwine HB User

sorry for the confusion a trisomy screen is the same thing as a triple screen.
    also, jaber, how is what possible? .....triple screen was abnormal not the amnio...my son does not have ds...sorry again for the confusion...talk to you guys later

Old 02-22-2006, 07:12 AM   #5
    ks5353
    (female)

ks5353 HB User

How did things work out?

Last edited by ks5353; 02-22-2006 at 08:40 AM.

Old 02-22-2006, 12:20 PM   #6
    candle66
    Inactive
    (female)

candle66 HB User

I really wish they would stop using this test, it seems so inconsistent from what I have read.
    I had a triple screen done and mine came out 1/42 for ds. At that point, my doctor was shaking his head and sending me to a genetic counsler and preparing me. All my ultrasounds came back normal, but told 25% of the time they don't pick up anything on the scans.
    I decided to get an amnio at 17 weeks. Waiting for the results are the most difficult. The results came back normal.
    Try not to stress too much, I know easier said than done.

Old 02-22-2006, 04:12 PM   #7
    ks5353
    (female)

ks5353 HB User

How was the amnio when you had it done? I'm nervous and not sure if I want to get it but am leaning that way for peace of mind....If I keep stressing myself out, its not going to do any good for this baby!!

Old 02-22-2006, 04:35 PM   #8
    Valo99
    Inactive
    (female)

Valo99 HB User

I had one and It wasn't painful at all. Just felt a little pressure and it lasted about 2 minutes and it was over. I had to lay down for the weekend and not lift anything heavy for a week. No bruise left on my stomach and no cramping.

Last edited by Valo99; 02-22-2006 at 04:36 PM.

Old 02-23-2006, 10:57 PM   #9
    angelique5
    (female)

angelique5 HB User

I'm sorry..but amnios are NOT 100%. I've seen that written by different people on different posts under this topic...so I feel the need to say it again here. Amnio's are very accurate... VERY, but not 100%.

I had a false positive result with my daughters amnio... we were told she had a chromosome deletion, and would die before her first birthday... we've had her skin biopsied,and her bloodwork redone.... no chromosome deletions...just a completely healthy and normal lil girl!

I do have a son with mosaic down syndrome (the reason for my later amnio's) during that pregnancy, my AFP came back NORMAL, and all ultrasounds were viewed as "normal"... I think some tests are only as good as the person giving them...

Good luck with your amnio results...I'm sure everything will be fine, and is probably attributed to the 2 week age difference!!

Old 03-06-2006, 05:11 PM   #10
    betty1623
    Inactive
    (female)

betty1623 HB User

My triple screen came back of a chance of ds at 16 weeks. I had 5 us all together. All test came back as no soft markers for ds. My odds were 1-36 and this was due to my age. My son was born with ds. We knew what are chances were and we accepted them. I decided not to have amino because I just knew that I would not have a child with a problem and me and my husband made a pack that no matter the out come we will take our son home and raise and love him. So we brought him home and he is our joy. He keeps up with all the other children in our family and has strived and does great. He is now 4 months old and we thank god everyday that we were blessed with such a wounderful child.

Anyone whom has had or are having a child with ds just love them for who they are and love them because the joy come from the love you get back. Our biggest problem are with the doctors and we have been few a few. I want them to treat my child as a child not see the ds first but see my child and give him the same attention as all of the other children

Betty

Old 03-07-2006, 06:38 AM   #11
    ks5353
    (female)

ks5353 HB User

Betty
    Did you have level II ultrasounds?

Old 03-07-2006, 09:40 AM   #12
    betty1623
    Inactive
    (female)

betty1623 HB User

I had 3 levelII u/s done at eastren virginia medical college. All 2 weeks apart. One at 20 weeks , 22 weeks and 24 weeks. Also had 2 later one at 30 weeks and one 32 weeks. All came back as everything was okay.

Betty

Closed Thread