It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board

• endometrial ablation

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-10-2005, 12:34 PM   #1
    mwilliams

mwilliams HB User
    endometrial ablation

Anyone heard of endometrial ablation procedure used for ds girls/women? My daughter is 8.5 and her doctor mentioned this because I'm worried about how she is going to react when she starts her menstrual cycle.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2005, 01:28 PM   #2
    Karen W.
    Veteran
    (female)

Karen W. HB User
    Re: endometrial ablation

Hi,
    I have a friend who's daughter had that done, she is DS. They didn't have it done until she was 12 years old, by then she had already had her period. When she had her period she did not do so good, pool hygene, could not handle the cramping at all, she had a problem using pads-it was just a mess, she always had spoty cloths during that time. They had that done and life is much better for her. I would recomend it.
    Karen

Old 12-31-2005, 12:58 PM   #3
    KIDINSANITY
    (female)

KIDINSANITY HB User

Am I mistaken, or is it true that having an endometrial ablation makes it difficult,if not impossible for the uterus to carry a child? I'm 40 and have 3 children, so I'm not worried. However, I'd be concerned that someone younger who has not yet had children may not be aware of this if it is true.

Old 02-05-2006, 07:53 AM   #4
    Jensmom
    (female)

Jensmom HB User

Yes it is true that it is close to impossible to carry a pregnancy to term after an ablation. The ablation burns the inside of the uterus thus making a pregnancy difficult. I had an ablation at 45 for heavy bleeding, as an alternative to a hysterectomy. I have had no problems and am thrilled that I had it. My daughter is 24 with DS and I had not thought about an ablation for her. She is very self sufficient with personal hygiene so this has not been a problem for us, but an interesting thought if this is a problem.

Hope this helps.
    Sarah

Closed Thread