It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board

• high res ultrasound and downs syndrome

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-14-2001, 05:24 PM   #1
    Cathy1343
    (female)

Cathy1343 HB User
    Question high res ultrasound and downs syndrome

My sister just had her first high res ultrasound. She is high risk because of her age (40). Everything looked normal, they said the sex was male (yeah) but they did notice that the arms and head were not developing at the same rate which is sometimes an indication of downs syndrome. They said her chances of a down syndrome baby are now 3%. Does anyone have further information on how accurate this may be? She is worrying and that is not good for her or the baby. Thanks for your input.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2001, 09:52 AM   #2
    Grace's Mom

Grace's Mom HB User
    I had a level two high res. ultrasound at 18 weeks and everything looked absolutely normal. I am 36. They said there was no indication of any genetic defects. I gave birth to a beautiful healthy little girl who has down syndrome. So I just wanted to respond and say sometimes the ultrasounds don't show a thing. I know this is not comforting but in some ways I wish someone had told me this just so I may have been a little more prepared. Best of luck to your sister.

Old 09-09-2001, 08:28 AM   #3
    Kennedy

Kennedy HB User
    Im going to be really blunt and say whats on my mind.

Fact #1- ultrasounds CANNOT predict Down syndrome accuratley AT ALL!!

Fact #2- some people(dumb doctors) say that a baby has "markers" indicating down syndrome.

There are no "real markers" since babies are human and they are NOT all the same.They grow differently as we do.To me this is just as bad as those stupid afp tests.THEY ARE TOTALLY INACCURATE!!Why they do them I have no clue.All it does is make so many women worry for no reason.I've not met a genetics counsellor or doctor yet that will even say that an ultrasound has markers for downs where I live.Why is because they have all told me there are no "real markers "and ultrasounds cannot predict downs at all so they don't want to worry the mother.

So in short she shouldn't worry.My daughter had no "markers" and she has downs.Forgive me if Im harsh.I am just so tired of doctors frightening women for no reason.If shes worried have an amnio.That way she'll know for sure.Good luck.

Closed Thread