It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board

• oral fixation/sensory intergration

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-16-2001, 01:27 PM   #1
    mia7

mia7 HB User
    Post oral fixation/sensory intergration

Hi. I wrote a message on the board a few days ago, which I am unable to find. I hope this stays on and I will receive some great advice from you folks.
    My adorable 8 mo. old daughter is orally fixated. She appears to always have a hand in her mouth. Yes, she is teething and yes i do sensory stim before play, meals, naps......you name it. Just wanted to see if anyone else dealt with this issue. Her OT believes this is preventing her from playing and learning b/c she is so focused on her mouth. The sound of that just breaks my heart b/c she is doing incredibly well. any advice you can offer will certainly be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2001, 07:18 PM   #2
    ALINEACROSS

ALINEACROSS HB User
    Have you tried brushing her mouth with a nuk (nubby) brush before working at learning activities. I am a special ed teacher and have had some success with this method. Also try massage (any part or all of the body as a distracter and to help her organize her sensory system) before activities as a change of imput. Don't get disheartened - all children go through oral phases - some are just later and longer than others. Think of this as a typical stage of development. Good Luck! Happy Holidays - Deb Sardone

Closed Thread