It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board

• ds and biting

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-20-2002, 08:17 PM   #1
    SCrtz

SCrtz HB User
    Question ds and biting

In the learning center I am working at, one of the children has ds. What can we do to teach the child not to bite. I am araid it will become an issue with the other children's parents. The child sometimes bites another child who may be playing with a toy / object the ds child wants. Other times the ds child will bite another child for no apparent reason. Please HELP!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2002, 07:11 AM   #2
    siobhan

siobhan HB User
    I would recommend that you respond to this child the same way you would any other child that is biting.

It is unusual to hear this, because aggressiveness isn't a 'typical' trait of DS. But every child is different and I know that my brother is not your typical DS child.

The child just needs to learn not to bite, whether it be through putting them in 'time-out,' or a reward system for alternatives to biting.

Many children go through biting stages, I know that I still have battle scars from little brothers. They eventually learn not to, or be taught not to.

Good luck and keep me updated!

Old 05-21-2002, 07:47 AM   #3
    Tifferbelle

Tifferbelle HB User
    Lightbulb

My daughter responds well to social stories. You can make it like a cartoon strip. You might try something like this: Box #1 depicts children playing (could be stick figures, clip art, etc). Caption underneath reads "When we play with our friends..." Box #2 shows child biting with a large circle around it with a slash through it. "NO BITING!!!" Box #3 shows happy children playing together, "Play nice." Read this to the child several times each day. Parents can do this at home as well to reinforce. Another thing we found helpful was happy and sad faces. Make a laminated card with a happy face and another one in a different color with a sad face. When child is playing nicely give him or her the happy face and commendation for good behavior. As soon as the child bites they get the sad face and time out. Pretty soon they don't want the sad face and will try to trade for the happy face. I hope this helps.

Closed Thread