It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board

• swelling in the brain stem

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-27-2002, 10:53 PM   #1
    worriedandexpecting

worriedandexpecting HB User
    Exclamation swelling in the brain stem

My doctor told me that there was swelling of the baby's brain stem that he saw in the ultrasound pictures and was concerned. This is my first pregnancy and i'm only 18. I've decided not to terminate my pregnancy and i'm scared to death but i have to face my fears. I really need to know whether i should be overly concerned or not. I had the afp1 test done and waiting for results but meantime i just sit and worry. How accurate are the afp1 tests and should I request an amniocentisis either way?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2002, 08:30 AM   #2
    Tifferbelle

Tifferbelle HB User
    I know a woman who had 4 friends pregnant at the same time as her. All her friends had something come up on the afp test that looked suspicious. Hers came out fine. Her 4 friends all delivered typical healthy children but her baby had Down Syndrome. So all five of the tests were inaccurate. When I was pregnant I chose not to have the afp tests because terminating a pregnancy isn't an option for me. Personally amnio's scare me. You really have to weigh how you feel I guess. If the stress of not knowing is going to compromise the health of you and your baby then maybe you should have one. The good thing is that if there is a problem you can resarch it in advance and get hooked up with the proper agencies to help you. On the other hand amnio's come with dangers of their own. I think you should go with your gut feelings. I hope all works out well for you. All children are gifts from God so congratulations to you.

Closed Thread