It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board

• bad congestion - help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-25-2002, 04:21 PM   #1
    Proud_Parent
    Inactive

Proud_Parent HB User
    Angry bad congestion - help

Hi, My 1 year old son has gastric reflux problem. But at night he gets terribly congested (he never had cold). His lungs are clear as per the X-ray. Doctors keep saying that we have to bear with this until he grows up (and reflux gets better). Sometimes he can't even breath b'cas of the choked nose. We try to keep him elivated but he doesn't like that. Any suggestions/treatment is appriceated ? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2002, 06:33 PM   #2
    EricaSue
    Inactive

EricaSue HB User
    Talking

My daughter has that same problem still. Kids with DS have such small nasal passages that they get plugged up so easily. What we did several times a day was used a nose saline solution called "Little Noses" and we squirted one or two times in each nostril then used a nasal aspirator to clean her out a bit. This was very helpful at night before bedtime. Also runing a humidifier with some Vicks liquid stuff in the water helps too. I think you buy that at Wal-Mart. Hope that helps.....
    Erica

Old 07-26-2002, 08:40 AM   #3
    hannahs mom

hannahs mom HB User
    Has your Doctor looked at your sons tonsils or adnoids? My Hannah is a noisey sleeper, and when I mentioned this to her pediatrician he sent us to an ENT doctor. Hannah has small nasal passages as well as enlarged adnoids and tonsils which get bigger the longer she is lying down. They will be coming out around her 1st birthday.; Just a thought. Hope it helps.

[This message has been edited by hannahs mom (edited 07-26-2002).]

Old 07-26-2002, 10:52 AM   #4
    Proud_Parent
    Inactive

Proud_Parent HB User
    Well thanks for the info. About the humidifier, I was told that I should use the 'cool mist humidifier' but the Vicks one would be 'warm mist humidifier', is that ok ? His tonsils are fine, they didn't check his adnoides as of now b'cas he doesn't snore atall. But one strange things is, his congestion problem has worsened in last 3 months. If he is growing and his nasal passage becoming larger than when he was infant, how can the congestion worsen ?

[This message has been edited by Proud_Parent (edited 07-26-2002).]

Old 07-26-2002, 08:17 PM   #5
    mom8times
    Inactive

mom8times HB User
    Lightbulb

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Proud_Parent:
    If he is growing and his nasal passage becoming larger than when he was infant, how can the congestion worsen ? QUOTE]

Hi,
    From what I have read and what I have seen first hand, DS kids' nasal passages AND ear canals may get larger but they still are much smaller and narrower than kids w/o DS.
    This also contributed to Amy having a miserable time whenever she got a cold. It would effect her nose, her eyes, and her ears. Everything would plug up!
    Hugs
    Peggy

Closed Thread